Generated Password items still present after saving Login

This discussion was created from comments split from: Trash passwords generated.

Comments

• allynwstone
    allynwstone
    Community Member

I don't want to start a new thread as I feel like the issue I am having is similar if not the same, but I'm just not sure. It seems that often when I generate a "new" password for a site where I am creating a login for the first time, there is an entry saved into 1Password as just a password, but that password is completely duplicative of the password used in a login that gets created only moments later. I have often easily been able to go back and clean these up manually because I can see that a password is generated for site X then a login is also created for site X, but why is it saving a separate record for the password at all as opposed to "updating" the password record with the remainder of the login details (username, whatnot).

Does that make sense? I have seen this across both Mac and Windows using my 1Password account and the Chrome extension.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @allynwstone,

If you're registering for an account on a website, and you use the Password Generator option in 1Password mini / browser extension to create and fill your password, that will create a temporary Password item (this serves as a safely net). Then, when you submit the registration form on the site, 1Password should ask if you want to save a Login item - if you choose to save a new Login at that point, the temporary Password item "disappears" because it is converted into the Login.

If that's not what's happening, can you please let us know the exact steps you take to reproduce the problem?

• allynwstone
    allynwstone
    Community Member

hi @Drew_AG - everything you're describing is accurate up to the "if you choose to save a new Login at that point, the temporary Password item "disappears" because it is converted into the Login" part. I'm taking the exact same steps you are outlining, but the temporary item is not disappearing. It is being retained in my vault as its own item.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @allynwstone,

I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your conversation to a separate thread so we can focus on this specific issue.

I've seen something like this happen before, but I'm not sure if it's part of the same issue because it required some very specific steps to reproduce it. Hopefully, some more details about your setup will help us to figure out what's going on. Can you please let us know the following:

• What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    • What exact version of 1Password is installed on Windows?
    • What version of Chrome is installed on Mac/Windows?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Chrome on Mac/Windows?
    • Are you using a 1Password.com account?
    • How many vaults are in 1Password on your Mac?
    • On your Mac, if you open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > All Vaults, which vault is selected as "Vault for Saving"?
    • When this problem happens, which vault do you choose when saving the new Login item?

Thanks in advance! :)

• allynwstone
    allynwstone
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG - absolutely no issue with the separate thread! I really appreciate this, because it's not awesome. I kept thinking that part of this was me wanting to be a Mac user for my personal life, but having to be a Windows user for my work life. But I'm sure I cannot be the only one in that boat.

Sorry for the delay on the response, but I wanted to have both machines in front of me and enough time to check everything thoroughly.

• What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac? Version 6.7.1 (671001) - no updates available when I check.
    • What exact version of 1Password is installed on Windows? Version 6.5.401d - no updates available when I check.
    • What version of Chrome is installed on Mac/Windows? Version of Chrome on Mac and Windows: Version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit) - no updates available.
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Chrome on Mac/Windows? 1Password extension in Chrome on Mac and Windows: v.4.6.6.90
    • Are you using a 1Password.com account? Yes I use a 1Password account. Switched from Dropbox sync in January - there is NO Dropbox sync installed/enabled on any machine.
    • How many vaults are in 1Password on your Mac? There are 3 vaults in 1Password on my Mac.
    • On your Mac, if you open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > All Vaults, which vault is selected as "Vault for Saving"? the vault selected for saving is the vault called "Personal."
    • When this problem happens, which vault do you choose when saving the new Login item? I tend to save any new Login to my default vault which would be the "Personal" vault, so that is the one I am using when this issue occurs.

I really hope this gives you some insight and can help us solve this! Let me know what else I can tell you!

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @allynwstone,

Thank you for the details! I've been trying to reproduce the same problem, but it works correctly for me each time. I've tried the release and beta versions of the main 1Password app and the release and beta versions of the 1Password browser extension, and I tried in both Chrome and Safari. Each time, the generated Password item disappears as soon as I accept the prompt to save the new Login in the default vault. I can only get the Password item to remain if I save the new Login item to a non-default vault (which is the known issue I mentioned in my last post).

In your first post, you said the problem happens "often". Is there any chance you sometimes save new Login items in a non-default vault? That would be part of the known issue, and would also explain why it only happens sometimes.

• allynwstone
    allynwstone
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG - again, sorry for the delay in reply. I've been trying to evaluate this as carefully as possible the last couple of days.

I didn't want to say "always," so I said "often." It could have just as easily been "frequently"? Anyway... I noticed that this is likely to be connected moreso to Windows, I think?

I finally recorded a video demo. Perhaps this will help? Any odd jumps are where I cut away from exposing passwords or just boring clicking.

https://youtu.be/5FLqkSZ_Hoc

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@allynwstone: Ah, thanks for clarifying! Indeed, this is something we'll be improving in a future update of the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app. The most important thing is that 1Password saves a Password item automatically as a safety net when you use it, but we do want 1Password to be smarter about cleaning these up when you successfully save a Login item using that password. I'm sorry for the confusion that's caused. We'll get that fixed. Thanks for bringing it up!

ref: OPW6-1051

• allynwstone
    allynwstone
    Community Member

@brenty thanks for watching/confirming I'm not losing my mind. Honestly, I've kinda been feeling that way! So is the best recourse for now simply to manually delete the extraneous passwords until you guys have a new version released?

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

@allynwstone: I apologize for the crazy-making. :(

It's really hard to say for certain what the best option will be for you, as we don't have a solution for this yet. You could certainly remove these on your own, just be sure that you have a Login item saved for each before doing so.

I can speculate that when we do make changes here they will not be retroactive, so it may result in this problem being solved for new passwords after that, but not touch the old ones. But I can't say for certain this is the approach we'll take. This is just something we need to be careful about, as the whole reason that Password items exist (and are saved automatically) is to make sure no one gets locked out of an account because they change their password on a site and don't save it as a Login item for some reason.

That said, these extra Password items shouldn't get in your way in the first place. But that's another issue entirely. Currently the new Windows app displays these alongside logins that match the current website. This is not the desired behaviour. For example, opening 1Password mini at this site automatically shows me my saved logins matching agilebits.com, but also generated passwords I still have in my vault. It should only show matching Login items, and this is something we'll be addressing as well.

Without this other issue, you probably wouldn't have even noticed that you had a bunch of extra Password items hanging around, as they'd only show up in an explicit search. This is something we're working on in general with 1Password mini to make what it displays more relevant to what you're trying to do. I'll bring both of these issues up with the team as we work on this. Thanks again for the feedback! :)

ref: OPW6-1114

• allynwstone
    allynwstone
    Community Member

@brenty or anyone else...I just thought I would throw this out there as I was doing some recent "year-end" clean up and password changing.... This exact issue still exists - despite newer versions, different devices and OS(s)... I can still perform a manual cleanup of the duplicate passwords that get created (and that's fine), but ANY chance this is on the radar to be addressed? Thanks!

• Hey @allynwstone! This is definitely still on the list. It's one of those issues that prompted a bit more work behind-the-scene than you might expect, but some recent changes to how Password items are saved on Windows has made this problem a bit more obvious and bumped a few related fixes up the priority list. We hope to have some fixes to at least reduce the impact of this in the beta shortly and hopefully will be able to work on automating cleanup of these redundant Password items shortly afterwards. We're not at a point where I can give a definite ETA as some larger projects to prepare for 1Password 7 are taking much of the focus right now, but this issue certainly hasn't been forgotten. :chuffed:

• allynwstone
    allynwstone
    Community Member

@bundtkate thanks so much. As long as you guys know it's still out there, that's all that matters to me! Thank you!

• @allynwstone: No problem at all! We do track every issue reported, even if we don't get a fix deployed right away, but there's never any harm in giving us a little nudge. It keeps us honest and serves as a nice reminder so we do appreciate it. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.