1Password 4 for Windows, Family License from 2014, no backup

Hello! My dad purchased a 1Password Family License in 2014, and I have my own vault.

Recently, I got a new computer and have been experiencing difficulty. I downloaded 1Password 4 for Windows, but am unable to log into my vault b/c I don't have any backups of my previous account. Is there any other way I can access it?

(I might have a copy on Dropbox, but I can't find it when 1Password 4 has me browse for backups.)

Also, I have 1Password 6 on my iPhone. My family made a 1Password account, but it is now frozen. I still have access to my primary vault on my phone though. I tried downloading 1Password 6 for Windows, but can only see my parents' passwords. My vault is not on there, and I think it may be b/c the account is frozen. Is there any way I can access my vault?

Thank you in advance!

1Password Version: 4, 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password 4 windows

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@flower123: If you've been using the standalone version of 1Password, you'll either need to have a copy of your data or you'll have to start over. Dropbox isn't a backup, and 1Password would only save backups there if you'd told it to. Do you have your vault in Dropbox though? That would be either a .opvault or .agilekeychain file. Alternatively, do you have all of your 1Password data on your phone? Let me know what you have to work with and we'll see what the options might be. :)

• flower123
    flower123
    Community Member

@brenty: Thanks for your quick response!

I have a folder in my Dropbox called "1Password.agilekeychain." I think that is a copy of my vault. If it is, is there a way to copy my data from there to the 1Password application on my new computer?

I have all my 1Password data on my phone as well.

Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@flower123: Great! You shouldn't need to copy anything, as 1Password 4 can use that vault directly. Just do the following:

1. Open 1Password 4 on your PC
    2. Go to File > Open 1Password Vault
    3. Select the 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox

Do you have data somewhere else as well, or is that the only vault you'd been using?

You may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. And with 1Password Families, everyone gets their own Personal/Private vault and Master Password, and it's easy to securely share with each other.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• flower123
    flower123
    Community Member

@brenty: Thank you for the instructions! I am a bit confused on Step 2.

I opened 1Password 4 on my PC, but I don't see a "file" option. I can choose between three options: "I am new to 1Password," "I have used 1Password before," and "Restore 1Password Vault from Backup."

When I click "I have used 1Password before," I can browse through the files on my computer. However, I cannot find Dropbox.

What do you think I should do?

In response to your question, this is the only vault I have been using.

The 1Password membership does sound convenient! I think I will stick with the license for now, since the membership would require additional payments. Thank you for the advice though!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @flower123, thank you for getting back to us.

You should be able to find Dropbox folder, when you click on "I have used 1Password before":

Do you have a Dropbox app installed on this PC? Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• flower123
    flower123
    Community Member

@Greg: Hi Greg! Thanks for your help!

I did install the Dropbox app on my PC, but when I browse for it on 1Password 4 (or even File Explorer), it does not show up.

In the first picture, the left-hand column shows that I installed the Dropbox app. The second picture is the view I see when I am browsing for Dropbox on the 1Password 4 app.

I'm not sure why Dropbox is not showing up!

-Julie

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@flower123: While ultimately you may need to contact Dropbox for help with their stuff, from your screenshots it looks like you installed the Windows Store version, which cannot integrate with a folder on your computer. You'll need to install the Dropbox client directly from their website to have a Dropbox folder you can open in Windows File Explorer and 1Password. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• flower123
    flower123
    Community Member

@brenty: Thank you so much! You were right! I installed the Windows Store version, not the Dropbox client version. It worked after I downloaded Dropbox directly from their website!

Thank you!

• flower123
    flower123
    Community Member

@brenty: Thank you so much! You were right! I installed the Windows Store version, not the Dropbox client version.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@flower123: Thank you for keeping us posted! On behalf of brenty you are very welcome! :chuffed:

Please do not hesitate to contact us again in the future, we are always ready to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.