1Browser - security of the browser

Fairgame
Fairgame
Community Member

How secure is 1Browser inside iOS for browsing? I mean in terms of cookies, opening malicious websites etc.
I know there are websites I have to use that only open in Safari, which means to me that they are not as secure as needed.

I'm sure this info is in your materials, would you please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.3.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

How secure is 1Browser inside iOS for browsing? I mean in terms of cookies, opening malicious websites etc.

@Fairgame: The source of both many of the limitations and security benefits of iOS is how deeply compartmentalized it is. So a malicious website that could be incredibly damaging on a PC won't have the same effect on your iPhone. They'd have to target Safari specifically (and likely iOS), but apart from an unknown security hole in the OS itself, their impact would be limited to the browser instance — for example, the 1Browser tab within 1Password, which is a separate process from 1Password itself. As far as cookies and cached pages, you can always use 1Password Settings > 1Browser > Clear Web Data.

I know there are websites I have to use that only open in Safari, which means to me that they are not as secure as needed. I'm sure this info is in your materials, would you please point me in the right direction.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Safari is the only browser on iOS. Apple doesn't allow 3rd party web engines, so everything on iOS uses Safari: 1Browser, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Brave, etc. Keep in mind that while there are vulnerabilities found in Safari from time to time, this is the case with all browsers. Apple is really good about patching them promptly (which is really the best we can hope for) though, and since I see you're on the newest version of iOS you'll have the benefit of the latest fixes in Safari as well. I hope this helps. But be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member

Thanks

• On behalf of Brenty you're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.