What's the big selling point of 1password?

burn123
burn123
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello, I am just curious what you guys feel is the big selling point of 1password? I understand the benefits of an online service, and you need to make money, so a subscription model makes sense. But for me, when I was first getting into password managers, the thing that drew me to 1password was the fact that it was a one time license. I swear against subscriptions unless I have to have them, so that was a big deal to me. I know you still offer the single licenses, but to my knowledge you are moving away from them and really pushing the subscriptions.

Another selling point used to be the huge support for local vaults. I know that they are still supported, but it sounds like 1password 6 might end up not getting support for local vaults at least from the posts I've been reading. Taking these two things into account, what is to keep me at 1password instead of going to a manager like Lastpass, for which it is free for an online password service for all devices (option to upgrade for advanced features).

This is not intended to be an attack, maybe I have missed something amidst all the commotion. I am just a customer who is wondering.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@burn123: That's a really good question. There's definitely plenty of ways to get sidetracked, as there's never a shortage of things going on with 1Password and interesting discussions here on the forums! And ultimately what one person values most highly may be of less interest to another.

For example, you specifically mentioned local vaults and licenses. While we're no longer marketing licenses (and therefore local vaults), for over a year we promoted licenses and memberships side by side, both on the website and in the apps. For a big chunk of that time, we actually had comparisons side by side...and that caused a lot of confusion. Thousands of people contacted us after purchasing a license wondering why they couldn't use an account to access their data across all of their devices. It was a real problem, so we redid the site and apps multiple times, until finally today a new user is simply taken through the account sign up process so they can try 1Password.com free for 30 days. I can't tell you how much that has helped reduce confusion, customer inquiries, and therefore our response times. People have less trouble using 1Password as a result, and when they do need help we're able to get back to them quickly again.

But that doesn't answer your question really, only illustrates where we are today and how we got here. The real answer, of course, is going to be different for everyone, but I'll do my best to highlight the big ones — the things we regularly hear from users that they love about 1Password:

• Support

I think this is one of the most important aspects of 1Password. Time is money, after all. Whether there is a problem or if you just have a quick question, we're here for you. And we always love customer feedback. And there isn't a fee or a limit to our love and support of our awesome customers. Everything is included.

• Design

This comes back to the notion that time is money. If everyone can start using 1Password quickly and easily understand new features when they are rolled out, then they save money on time that would otherwise be lost trying to figure something out or troubleshoot. If price is the only consideration, there are plenty of free tools available, but your time is more valuable than that.

• Security

Our security architecture means that a family organizer can recover accounts for other family members. We at AgileBits can never do that. We simply cannot perform a traditional "password reset" for you. With traditional password reset mechanisms, your secrets are only as secure as all your family members' email accounts. With 1Password, account recovery can only be initiated by a family organizer. Learn more in the 1Password Security Design White Paper.

• Convenience

Many people find that a 1Password subscription is valuable because gives them access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data, whether in the app or a web browser. It's just a lot less hassle, without sacrificing security.

• Privacy

Last but definitely not least, we have sustainable prices so we can serve you for years to come without exploiting you or your data. It’s possible for a company to cut corners on pricing, but then they might need investors’ money, a buyer with deeper pockets, or — worst of all — advertising money at the expense of your privacy. We have gone out of our way to build 1Password so that we don't have information that we could misuse — or that someone who steals it from us could. It is not merely that we choose not to collect or use data about you; we have designed our systems so that we don’t have the capability to collect data about you. Learn more about 1Password privacy.

That's 1Password in a nutshell. But as far as 1Password.com in particular, it's easier to manage a single subscription than it is to keep track of individual licenses across different platforms and version upgrades. The subscription model also allows us to build in features and services that wouldn't be feasible in the standalone apps, like central hosting and vault management — and travel mode.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for your in depth answer! When you say "no longer marketing licenses", do you mean no longer offering/selling, or no longer actively promoting?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@burn123: You're welcome! Regarding licenses, it really depends. We're only promoting 1Password.com memberships now, as that's really the best solution for most people. But if you're looking to purchase a license, shoot us an email at sales@agilebits.com and post the Support ID here and we'll be happy to explore the options with you. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.