Newbie!! Do I need to change all my current passwords and do I need to remember them all?

Options
spedprof
spedprof
Community Member

Sorry for the dumb question, but 1) Do I need to change all my current passwords on accounts and 2) Do I need to recall them all and 3) will 1paspwrd chnage them to random ones and recall them for me?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Newbie!! Do I need to change all my current passwords and do I need to remember them all?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@spedprof: Firs of all, welcome to 1Password, and welcome to the forum! Great questions! :)

1) Do I need to change all my current passwords on accounts

The answer is, it depends.

Are you already using a unique, randomly generated password for each site — perhaps using something else to keep track of these previously? If so, you're good to go. You'll just want to save them in 1Password so it can fill them for you going forward.

Alternatively, are you using weak passwords you made up yourself, and/or reusing the same password for multiple sites? If so, you'll want to generate new ones, saving them in 1Password in the process.

and 2) Do I need to recall them all

Somehow, yes. Whether that means from a file you've stored them in or from memory, 1Password won't be able to fill your login credentials unless it knows what they are first.

and 3) will 1paspwrd chnage them to random ones and recall them for me?

1Password cannot do this automatically, as the process varies between websites, but we've got a great guide that will help you change your passwords to make them stronger. And then you can save and fill passwords for websites using 1Password going forward. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• spedprof
    spedprof
    Community Member
    Options

Here is a real dumb question, but one that has confused me for a long time. If I keep a list of the 50+ passwords somewhere on my computer, be it in a Word file or in Outlook Notes or somewhere else, isn't it accessible via my synced IPad and IPhone. That sounds dumb to me, but where else do I keep them? in a handwritten paper on my desk? Is there some smart place to store password aside from 1Password. Thanks for your patience!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Here is a real dumb question, but one that has confused me for a long time. If I keep a list of the 50+ passwords somewhere on my computer, be it in a Word file or in Outlook Notes or somewhere else, isn't it accessible via my synced IPad and IPhone.

@spedprof: Probably not, and that doesn't sounds secure either way. It's almost certainly not encrypted, and even if it is anyone with access to your computer could get it.

That sounds dumb to me, but where else do I keep them? in a handwritten paper on my desk? Is there some smart place to store password aside from 1Password. Thanks for your patience!!

Honestly while I think is the best option for both convenience and security, keeping this information in a safe deposit box or safe where only you know the combination wouldn't be terrible. The only problem is that's way less convenient, and still less secure. Using a long, strong, unique Master Password ensures that no one will be able to guess it and get into your vault during your lifetime (and probably far beyond), whereas a safe or similar could potentially be broken into by someone skilled with the right tools and access, or by someone else with the resources to have someone else get them access to it. So while it isn't a terrible option (especially compared to storing the data in a simple file on a computer), 1Password offers a level of security that is only possible thanks to modern technology. :)

This discussion has been closed.