Version 324: Family members can create their own vaults?

Comments

• Thank you Timo, Hopefully I will have some news to share with everyone soon. As you mention, we want to make sure we get this right. As Rob stated earlier -

To make it retroactive, we would have to actually change existing accounts' permissions, and we did not want to presume in that way. Some accounts may rely on that permission not being granted, and the administrators in Pro teams can simply grant it if they would like to. However, for family accounts, there is no way to edit the permissions of that group, so we would need to either change the existing permissions for all accounts or expose a control to let families change it themselves.

Either way, we will update everyone here :+1: Have a great weekend and safe travels :smile:

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

Thank you,
    Have a great weekend too. Over and out ;)

"expose a control to let families change it themselves." +1

• You're very welcome Timo, anytime :wink: We're always happy to help out!

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

Hi @Frank,

I just saw that version 326 was released. I wanted to ask you if you have some news about this? Would be really really nice. Because I really can't wait to make use of it ;) And also for some reason I don't have the item in my account with my 1Password account details? Will it be created when I change my password the next time or account key? Or will it only be created for new accounts?

P.S.: I added a image of one of the cocktails I had ;) But it was alcohol free. I don't drink any.

Thanks,
    Timo

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@ntimo where do you find the release notes?

I hope they have some good news for us :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Thanks!!! @ntimo

• Frank
    edited April 2017

Hi @ntimo - It's great to hear back from you. The drink still looks tasty! :smile: Sorry I don't have any news just yet. If you don't want to wait, you can create a new Families account and I'll be happy to email you so we can work on this together.

And also for some reason I don't have the item in my account with my 1Password account details? Will it be created when I change my password the next time or account key?

Yes, this is only for new accounts going forward. The starter kit is something we recently added not too long ago :+1:

Hi @Prime - Timo is correct, you can check out the link to keep up-to-date with new features and fixes :smile:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Frank thanks! I can wait, all I want to know if older accounts will get it. If we eventually will get it in a month or 2 (or even 3) that's fine, I'm just waiting on the final answer before I make any moves.

• Hi @Prime - Once I have more information, I will definitely make sure to update everyone here. We're still working on it and I promise to let you know either way :smile: Have a great day!

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

Hi @Frank,

This sounds like a plan. I am flying home tomorrow evening so if we could get this going on thursday it would be perfect. I think when I come home I will have some hot coclate too it's so cold there. And a nice e-mail conversation with you :)

Have a great day,
    Timo

• Sounds like a plan to me @ntimo, I'll send you over an email now then just reply back to me on Thursday when you're ready to get started with a cup of hot chocolate in hand :smile: Have a great day!

ref: AEP-39563-143

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Frank I know you said you don't have any answers yet, but I thought the whole idea of the subscription was we (subscription users) get the latest and greatest all the time paying a month/yearly fee. It's been over 2 weeks and I actually put adding family members to my family account on hold due to this.

I don't want to start over because of the the family deal and I I'm afraid I'll lose that. I also fine tuned the account to what works too, so starting over will not be fun.

Is there any info whatsoever? Like, old accounts will get it, but it will take some time (a month or so?).

Thanks!

• @prime Thanks for checking in. This is still on the near roadmap, and we do want to get it out to you guys. As Rob mentioned, it's a bit more work than flipping a switch:

To make it retroactive, we would have to actually change existing accounts' permissions, and we did not want to presume in that way. Some accounts may rely on that permission not being granted, and the administrators in Pro teams can simply grant it if they would like to.

However, for family accounts, there is no way to edit the permissions of that group, so we would need to either change the existing permissions for all accounts or expose a control to let families change it themselves.

I'll let the team know you asked about it again :) Thanks for the patience.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Jacob

This is still on the near roadmap, and we do want to get it out to you guys.

Thank you. I am going to assume that this means we'll all get it, it will just take some time. This is all I wanted :)
    I'll let my daughter know, she will be very happy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty Any update on this? :) I hope :)

• Hi @Prime - It's great to hear from you and I hope all is well on your end. I'm sorry for not being able to provide you with an update just yet. We're still working on it. I promise once we have any news to share, I'll make sure to let you know here. I know it's not the answer you're looking for but we'll let you know either way once we figure out if this can be implemented. :smile:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

@Frank

if this can be implemented

I was under the impression it could, it was a matter of how.

To make it retroactive, we would have to actually change existing accounts' permissions, and we did not want to presume in that way. Some accounts may rely on that permission not being granted, and the administrators in Pro teams can simply grant it if they would like to.

So why can't AgileBits just turn it on, and if the Family Organizer wants to turn it on for the family, they can? I thought one of the selling points of the subscription was we got the latest and greats all the time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: We could do just that, in theory, but it does present some risk to data. This would involve changing permissions, which also involves encryption keys, and anything we do in that area needs to be carefully considered and even more carefully executed. I realize that there's perhaps "less" risk when it comes to most 1Password Families accounts, since most of us won't care if we have to redo some permissions that were fine yesterday, but for some families (and especially teams) this could be a big problem. :(

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you right now, and given your interest in this feature, we might want to start looking at options for migrating you to a new account. We're looking into this some more currently, so I'd like to get back to you with a more definitive recommendation within a week or so, and then we can work out the details if you end up going that route. Thanks again for your patience. :blush:

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

Hello @brenty,

I actually started to migrate to a new account. But then had to stop the migration. Because it seems like custom icons can't be transferred. And because I have more then 100 of them redoing them all would be more then painful. Or do you know if it is possible to transfer items with their custom icons? If not I am looking forward for the implementation of this feature even if it will take some months.

Have a great day,
    Timo

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you right now, and given your interest in this feature, we might want to start looking at options for migrating you to a new account. We're looking into this some more currently, so I'd like to get back to you with a more definitive recommendation within a week or so, and then we can work out the details if you end up going that route. Thanks again for your patience. :blush:

If I have to wait a month or 2 (or even 3) for this, I rather wait. I have too many devices now on this account, and it would be a project to migrate over to a new account. So even after a week, I'm still willing to wait. I was wondering becxuase it's been a month and it was more if there was an update. If after a week or so you come back, say it can be done but take 3 months, I'll wait.

Thanks! :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

@ntimo: Ah, that's a really good point. Sorry about that. Unfortunately custom icons are vault-specific (much like linked items), so you'd lose that when moving. Maybe that's something we could make possible in the future though. We'll definitely update you as soon as we have something more definitive with regard to family-created vaults. :(

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

Thanks again @brenty, I won't bug you guys for a month :lol: unless you find more info sooner :)

• We love to hear from you @Prime! We'll make sure to keep you updated :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

@ntimo, @prime: I just wanted to updated you both on the status, as we've discussed this more in-depth with regard to our current project workload.

Unfortunately this still isn't something we're going to be able to work on right now, as migrating pre-v324 accounts is going to be a huge undertaking behind the scenes that will require a lot of attention and careful execution — even if it ends up being a simple checkbox for users. It just isn't something we can prioritize at this time.

So at this point I'd recommend migrating to a new account if having the ability for family members to create vaults is a hugely important feature for you (and your family). Please shoot us an email at support@1password.com from your 1Password.com account's registered email address and post the Support ID you receive here so we can go over the options and help you with the process if that's something you'd like to pursue.

Again, I'm sorry I don't have better news for you, but I'm sure we can find a solution that will work for you. I didn't want to leave you hanging, so let's work together to find a way forward. :blush:

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

Good Morning @brenty,
    Well creating a new account would of course be the perfect work arround. But without all the custom icons for my logins. My vault will look kind of sad. If there would be a way to migrate the custom icons I would say lets do it. I think I will simply have to wait then. And thanks again for the effort you and the team put into this for finding a solution that won't destroy the families accounts of everyone but make everyone happy. :)

Have a nice day,
    Timo

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ntimo: Right, "perfect" in the sense that it would get you this feature right away...but yeah, I appreciate that it wold be a huge undertaking for you to redo the custom icons you'd added manually. I'm sorry I don't have a good workaround for that, but maybe there's something else we could do to help ease your transition. Please contact us via email and we can discuss the options. :blush:

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

Hello @brenty,
    I talked about this with Frank already by email [#AEP-39563-143]. If you would like to discuss the options with me, I think using the exiting ticket would be good. I don't wan't to create 2 for the same "project" :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ntimo: Ah, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that. Thank you! :chuffed:

ref: AEP-39563-143

This discussion has been closed.