I am totally new to 1Password. I need basic instructions.

John_Stapleton
John_Stapleton
Community Member

I am on a Mac using Firefox. I can see the icon in the menu bar so it is working in my browser. I set up 1Password on my iPhone using the QR code. I cannot figure out how to open any applications on either the browser of phone and have 1Password save the login info. I cannot find any tutorials aimed at a total beginner.

1Password Version: newest bought yesterday v 6
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:set up a new account

Comments

• Hi @John_Stapleton! I'd be happy to help out. We have some great tutorials for you; I'm sorry they didn't turn up in your search. Since you're on a Mac, the first one I would recommend is about using 1Password in your browser:

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

Most people use passwords on websites, so that should be a good place to start for you as well. You can also use the extension to fill credit cards when you're shopping:

Use 1Password to save and fill credit cards and addresses

Next up, since you have 1Password on your iPhone as well, you may want to use it in your browser there too. There's an extension just for that:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

And as a bonus, there are lots of apps that support 1Password so you can sign in quickly in them as well. :) I hope that helps you get started. If you have any questions, we're happy to answer them.

• Rittam
    Rittam
    Community Member

I am a very slow learner of new programs. For real. My questions for now are what is the difference between the icons showing the logo of a company and one with a lock for the same company? Also, why is there a key for some items?

• Hi @Rittam - Oh no worries, you came to the right place :wink: We'll be happy to help out. When you create a login item and add the url address, the icon will populate (depending if we have the icon for that specific site) with the company's logo. The icons with the lock just don't have the url or it's not populating based on the url that was added. Items with a "key" icon, are passwords. If you create an item and choose the "password" category, this will show up as a key icon since you're only adding a password - no url. I hope this helped a bit. Let us know if you have any additional questions. :smile:

• Rittam
    Rittam
    Community Member

Thank you. I'll try to see if I can now understand what I'm seeing on my master page (or whatever it is called).

• On behalf of Frank, you're welcome. :) We're here if you have some other questions!

This discussion has been closed.