1Password 6 does not support local vaults ATM

Options
Lletnek
Lletnek
Community Member
edited June 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I've got my dropbox synced and if I install 1Password 4 it picks it up straight away. But I can't even see an option to choose a local/dropbox vault.

Has this been removed?

1Password Version: 6.4.377
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AB_AM
    AB_AM
    Community Member
    Options

A similar thing just happened to me!! I went from usable to not with a single click. I was having duplicate entries showing so removed my Dropbox Primary vault (to put it back in after checking DB local sync)....then it went into the new sign up screen that does not have a Dropbox or any other option except sign up for shiny 1Password subscription account. NOT happy about this. I downloaded the 1PW Win 4.x and am on the "free trial" period for now so I can keep working.

I purchased the stand alone Mac and IOS versions and have been happily using for years. The previous Windows to current version allowed people to open an existing vault. I have my whole family using 1PW and have recommended it to many. You are making me look bad plus I can no longer use it on Windows. If this isn't resolved I will be forced to look for a replacement. Passwords and secure notes are too important to worry if I paid this month's fees or there is a disruption to your Cloud service (which could happen for many reasons).

Is this a goof by your team with ver 6.4.377 or are you dropping long time customers? Please fix this ASAP.

Thank you.

• AB_AM
    AB_AM
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Would you all put a link to the former working v6 (6.3.x?) version which included Dropbox support?

Thank you.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I don't believe Windows 1Password 6 works with Dropbox, and is only subscription only for now. I think 1Password 4 works with Dropbox.

• AB_AM
    AB_AM
    Community Member
    Options

@prime it was working with v6 before upgrade. Not fully functional as v4 is, but better looking.

Upgraded on my Win10 machine yesterday. Today removed my vault and was going to re-add it. Then found out there is no adding it back.

Will see what Agile Bits team has to say. Thank you for commenting.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hello @Lletnek, @AB_AM, and @prime,

I am sorry for the confusion!

Since Dropbox/OneDrive vaults haven't been fully supported in 1Password 6, we decided to remove them for the time being to avoid any further confusion. You can still open local vault by going to the Settings > Accounts & Vaults > Folder > Open vault.

However, I would recommend you to use 1Password 4. 1Password 6 is focused on 1Password accounts at the moment and is not adapted for use with local vaults.

Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience and confusion. @AB_AM, please send us a message to support+windows@agilebits.com and we will see what we can do for your regarding 1Password 4 license. Thanks! :+1:

Should you have any other questions about 1Password on Windows, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Greg

• AB_AM
    AB_AM
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Greg for the clarification and quick reply. I will email you. I have been using solely on Mac and iOS until very recently. I now also need to use on a Windows 10 Surface Book. My experience up until yesterday has been stellar.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AB_AM: Found your email. We will get back to you via email as fast as possible! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• popejohnpaul17th
    popejohnpaul17th
    Community Member
    Options

I've had about enough. After years of using 1Password and recommending it, the development of the Windows version is so poor that I hate using it. It's very 1990's and I can't go to 6 because of the complete lack of functionality and Dropbox support. I mean how can you put out a product (1P6) that is missing its main function? That is to save new passwords!!! First Trump, now 1 Password has gone. To balance my rant, it is great on Mac and iOS. Just avoid if Windows unless you like being left behind. I'm a fully paid-up member of 1P and I'm now looking elsewhere. It's just got too confusing on Windows with accounts, local vaults, web accounts, browser plugin versions, team or family... Whoever is leading 1P needs to decide, either pull out of Windows development or commit to it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@popejohnpaul17th: The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app does support saving logins and has for months. I use this function every day, and while there are still other features I'd like to see added, I don't feel left behind. And I'm a paying customer like anyone else.

If you're referring to local vaults (as opposed to your blanket statement of it not being possible to save new passwords), which are read-only, which are supported for import purposes, then you haven't paid for that functionality in 1Password 6, as it doesn't exist and is therefore not something we're selling.

And if you'd been following AgileBits closely over the past year, you'll see just how committed we are to Windows. If we weren't, we wouldn't have put in the time and effort to build a brand new app, and it's come a long way. We could absolutely find better uses of our time if this wasn't important to us.

But if you'd like to migrate to a 1Password.com membership to take advantage of all of the benefits, I'm sure there's something we can do to help. Just shoot us an email at support@1password.com from your registered address with your purchase information, please post the Support ID you receive here and we'll see what we can do for you. Cheers! :)

• popejohnpaul17th
    popejohnpaul17th
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty, email sent to support.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hello @popejohnpaul17th,

I have found your email on our side and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you! :+1:

ref: BCB-16959-443

• bkhouri
    bkhouri
    Community Member
    Options

It appears the Settings > Accounts & Vaults > Folder > Open vault option is not available in 1Password 6 Version 6.6.439 (windows). Any thoughts on how to get a local vault added?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @bkhouri,

That is no longer possible as of 1Password 6.6, we're removing the old unsupported implementation in order to avoid tangling it up with the new data model we're using for better performance and experience in 1Password 6.6.

For users that have already added local vaults in previous versions, their local vault will continue to be migrated but they cannot manually sync anymore as the outdated sync implementation has been removed from the program.

The only official support for local vaults is in 1Password 4. We still want to add it to 1Password 6 down the line but there is no ETA on it.

• bkhouri
    bkhouri
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT thanks for the information. is there a way to download previous versions of 1Password6?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I removed my local thinking it 1Password 6.6 was like v6.5 in that I could add it back but I found out local vaults are gone. I will have to revert back to v6.5.

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW6

• MikeT
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi guys,

This is not supported nor recommended by us.

You'd need 1Password 6.3 if you do not have a 1Password account because 6.4 will require an account before you can add a local vault.

Note, we generally don't recommend going back to previous builds if you already have a database as we do update the database schemas over time in 1Password updates, meaning the database you have may not be readable in the previous versions.

If you proceed with this, I strongly recommend backing up the 1Password database via %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\data first.

• mscrivo
    mscrivo
    Community Member
    Options

This is extremely disappointing. I am a long time 1Password user, with a local vault. I do not wish to migrate to an online account, for a variety of reasons. Recently, I also encouraged my company to switch to 1Password, because of the strong security track record, and was rather happy to see that I could use 1Password 6 with our team account and my local vault as well for personal stuff all in the same app. Now, I can't do that anymore. If I want to use my personal stuff, I have to open 1password 4 and copy/paste the info each time I need it. Usability, has dropped by an order of magnitude for me.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @mscrivo,

I am sorry for the experience you are having with 1Password right now. :frown: It was never our intention to worsen your workflow. We want to bring local vaults support to the new version of 1Password for Windows, but it is not something we are focused on at the moment, because there is still a lot of core features we want to add before that.

Is there any specific reason why you don't want to use 1Password account for your personal stuff? If you have any concerns about it, please let us know, so we could discuss them and answer all of your questions.

In the meantime, please check this tip on our website, which explains how you can use 1Password 6 and 1Password 4 on your PC.

We will be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• mscrivo
    mscrivo
    Community Member
    Options

Greg, it's very simple: I want to be in control of my data. I don't want it to be stored in a place that is a very attractive target for bad actors. I understand the tradeoffs and why it makes sense for the team and family products to be online, but you should absolutely reconsider making local vaults a second (or even third class it seems) citizen as you are turning off your most technical advocates.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. We built 1Password.com specifically knowingly that it would be an attractive target for bad actors. Note that most local vault customers store their 1Password vaults on Dropbox and other cloud services, so storing it on 1Password.com wouldn't be worse for them and it would be slightly more secure to use 1Password.com due to use of Secret Keys and Travel Mode.

However, we do know and understand that 1Password.com isn't a good fit for everyone, we want to add local vaults but for now, 1Password.com is our first priority for 1Password 6 while local customers can still use 1Password 4 with full support for local vaults.

• mscrivo
    mscrivo
    Community Member
    Options

Mike, yes most of us do store our vaults on some cloud service for syncing between devices, but in doing that, we also have the option to store it in an encrypted volume of our choosing. Anyhow, I'm fine waiting so long as the functionality will come back. It just seems that with the moves as of late, you were trying to slowly kill it. Thanks for an otherwise great product.

• rbcap0
    rbcap0
    Community Member
    Options

Mike, trying to push everyone onto 1Password.com is pretty terrible customer service and even worse-- the upgrade post 6.4 caused a break in sync between computers (Mac vs PC). I agree with popejohn about Windows being an afterthought, but at least 6.4 was usable.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @mscrivo,

1Password.com is end to end encryption, you're the only one holding keys (Secret Key + Master Password).

What you're seeing is us continuously rebuilding and improving 1Password 6 for Windows to add more features but in doing so, we had to remove the older pieces, which had the unsupported read-only implementation for the local vaults. This was originally added back in 1Password 6.0 update to support migrating the local vault to the 1Password.com account. Unfortunately, it wasn't really meant to be used full time without migrating to 1Password.com.

We've rebuilt the newer and more efficient Import feature in the 1Password 6.5 update to help with the migrations, thus we are removing the older implementation and not rebuilding it until later. If we rebuild the local vault implementation, it is going to be with full support but this takes a while because it is unlike anything right now in 1Password 6 with 1Password.com.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rbcap0: No one is pushing you. You can keep using the version you paid for. :chuffed:

However, I think it's important to note that with 1Password.com you'd still be literally the only one with control of your data: it's encrypted on your device locally (with the Master Password you choose and the Secret Key which is generated locally on your device when you setup your account) before anything is sent, so the server only receives and stores an encrypted blob; and since the Master Password and Secret Key are never sent to us, even to login to your account, only you ever have the keys to your data. This means you're just as much up a creek without a paddle if you lose these, but it's fundamental to your security and is no different from using 1Password with a local vault — except that 1Password.com accounts have the additional security of the Secret Key. Hopefully that helps clear up any misconceptions, but we're here if you have any questions. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017
    Options

@rbcap0: Wow! Thanks for sharing that. Love the title. That's a favourite book of mine! :chuffed:

I actually really enjoyed reading this because I've been frankly bewildered at how, roughy a year and a half after 1Password.com went public, it was suddenly a topic of interest this week. I know it's only one data point, but I enjoyed seeing this perspective. Really thoughtful and honest. Also, love the Master Password (which I sadly cannot reproduce here due to a forum emoji bug).

The 1Password.com web site login uses unsigned on-demand host-based javascript, and users must enter their vault password & master key to sign in to the site, even for for routine billing updates. Absent 2FA/U2F, there’s a real risk of simple phishing.

I both agree and disagree. The web app is only technically necessary for admin stuff like billing, as mentioned. And this is more secure than, for example, shopping on Amazon, where we'd also be entering payment information over TLS. Phishing is definitely a common concern nowadays, but this is a fairly universal threat and not specific to 1Password. I've also seen people talking this week about getting 1Password.com memberships but using only local vaults. This isn't something that most folks will want to do, but it is an interesting use case.

My issue is transparency & control. For many others, it’s also cost. As I have said repeatedly, I want companies like AgileBits to thrive. I want them to be able to grow and to continue to hire the best security and product design people around. But I want the choice of where my data reside.

Very kind. We agree that everyone should have control over their data. Perhaps counterintuitively under the circumstances, that's a big part of why 1Password.com exists in the first place. People who aren't using a password manager are effectively at the mercy of not only attackers but also the websites themselves in the case of breaches. I know you are perfectly comfortable navigating storage options, sync configurations, etc., but most people aren't. And 1Password.com gives them control of their data in that they can secure it, whereas security has often been beyond reach of most people, both for technical and financial reasons.

As one person quipped on Twitter: “I prefer password managers that are not in the news”. Hear, hear.

Amen. I both laughed and winced. It's been a rough week, but we're not ready to throw in the towel and are committed to keep making 1Password better. I really appreciate the input on this, especially regarding the web client, which, as noted by @jpgoldberg, is something we're working to both improve and make more of its functions available in the native apps.

Personally, in the short-term this doesn’t really change anything for me. I love my 1Password vaults and will continue to use the stand-alone apps I’ve purchased and installed.

It makes me really happy to read that. We put our heart and soul into making what's become affectionately known as the "standalone" 1Password apps. We would be doing this anyway, but it feels great to know how much 1Password means to you and others as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.