Version 324: Family members can create their own vaults?

13»

Comments

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@brenty, no problem. I am happy to help ;) If you find any way for the custom icons please give me a call :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty I just shot you an email. I'm using the same one we have been using if that's ok.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,
    Did you receive my reply?

Timo

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime, @ntimo: Yep! Just replied to both of you. Let's continue the conversation via email so we can get everything sorted out. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty you da man!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, but sweet talk will get you nowhere. Even I pay for my subscription. (Just teasing. hehe) ;)

• cruise2001
    cruise2001
    Community Member

This is indeed a wonderful option. I have 6 members now...I'm sure some of them would like this feature. I am in the same boat as @ntimo, however...many custom icons.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cruise2001: As mentioned previously, we'd like to make it possible for the Organizer to migrate the account to support this in the future, but I can't say for certain if or when that might be. If you'd like to manually migrate to a new account in the mean time to take advantage of this, please shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID here so we can see what we can do to help. :blush:

• cruise2001
    cruise2001
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty. Wouldn't I loose my custom icons?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cruise2001: Yes. You'd have to add them to the items again after migrating your data. There just isn't any way around that. :(

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

@brenty I have a Families account and didn't realize until this thread that there was a new feature I'm missing out on :-) I know it's possible to convert a Families account to a Team account (which would provide more granular permissions), and downgrading is generally available as well (Families to Individual at least is already visible; haven't logged in to my Team account to look at that). But if downgrading is possible, would upgrading to Teams and downgrading to Families again convert the "new" Families account to the new format? I'm guessing not, but figured it was worth asking. I don't have custom icons...the new create vaults feature would be nice but probably not worth migrating to a new account for it yet.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

@brenty I have a Families account and didn't realize until this thread that there was a new feature I'm missing out on :-) I know it's possible to convert a Families account to a Team account (which would provide more granular permissions), and downgrading is generally available as well (Families to Individual at least is already visible; haven't logged in to my Team account to look at that). But if downgrading is possible, would upgrading to Teams and downgrading to Families again convert the "new" Families account to the new format? I'm guessing not, but figured it was worth asking. I don't have custom icons...the new create vaults feature would be nice but probably not worth migrating to a new account for it yet.

@dszp: Wow. Great question! The short answer is no. Migrating between (A) 1Password Families and (B) 1Password Teams doesn't affect vault keys the way that this feature does. With existing (pre-324) 1Password Families, non Organizer accounts didn't have the permissions to create vaults, so they couldn't generate keys for them either. They effectively belong to a group (A) that lacks these permissions, and 1Password Families has no way to manage groups. 1Password Teams does though, so when migrating a family account to a team, there's a lot going on behind the scenes (B) to set all of this up. The development team put a lot of effort into making this possible, and making it seamless as well, so that we're able to offer the user a simple button. But it's much less simple to try to convert a team to a family, since permissions there will be lost, so we don't expose a similar option to do that. It seems like this situation falls somewhere in between the two: technically feasible, but something we'd need to be careful with. Your idea of a double migration to setup the proper permissions could theoretically work, but it's a bit of a hack. And frankly I think that creating a new account is both less risky (due to the B-A migration) and easier for most users. Not ideal, but who knows, maybe this could end up being our first 1Password Families beta feature. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Dumb question. My wife and I are both organizers, so if I make a vault, will she see it too when she logs into myfamily.1password.com, and see what she in it?

• Hi @prime - It's nice to hear from you. That's not a dumb question at all. Family Organizers do have access to everything. If you don't add your wife to the vault she won't be able to see anything within the vault. She could add herself the vault but until she's added, she will not be able to access anything within that vault. I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions and I'll do my best to help out. Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.