Are there any type of sites with logins that should not be included in 1password?

spedprof
spedprof
Community Member

I am currently adding site by site but fear that since I do fully understand how this will work (or limit me) I may include some kind of site that I will regret having included. Are there any types of sites with logins that should not be included for a typical user? Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:any types of sites that should be included in 1password?

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Is there a reason you don't want to have everything? I have everything in 1Password vault, I don't see a reason not too put everything in it.

• @spedprof,

While I store all of my credentials in 1Password there are a couple of passwords I memorize other than my 1Password Master Password. Those are... off the top of my head... my login passwords for any computers I login to, my Apple ID password, and the PIN code to my garage door.

Other than that I've completely forgotten most if not all of them, as they are all long and unique.

I used to also have my Dropbox password memorized, but now with not having to store my 1Password data on Dropbox (due to 1Password.com) I don't remember that one anymore. :)

Ben

• spedprof
    spedprof
    Community Member

I suppose that the reason I ask is that as a Newbie to 1Password, I can recall a few times that I either stopped at a public computer (at a library or a University or wherever) and I wanted to check Gmail or see something on a site that I had to log into. I suppose I could use my IPhone but I preferred a large screen and logged in using my simple to remember passwords. Am I correct is believing that I will not be able to do that with the lengthy Key from 1Password? Am I missing something else? Thanks!!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@spedprof you can make password on the password generator with multiple words. This way it's easier to type in looking st the password from your phone. These days, you don't want to be going on a public computer for stuff, because you don't know what's on that computer. Key loggers, malware, or anything that can hurt you. So stick to your phone for emails, it's much safer ;)

Like Ben, there are some I do memorize, and my Apple ID is one of them. I use to know my bank, but I changed that recently and I haven't had a need to memorize it for a few years.

Also, public wifi is dangerous also.

• spedprof
    spedprof
    Community Member

I understand and thanks for reminding me about public computers . What about logging in at a private computer at a relative's house? I know I should not be using the same old easy to recall password anywhere. But is there any advice for logging in at a friend or relative's computer?? Or do you 1Passwordies just avoid that as well. Thanks again.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

@spedprof There are ways to make passwords log, hard, but easy to type. Here is an example of how 1Password makes words easy to type:
    Over time typing these, they get easier. I even copied a word password like that into the notes section, and added numbers.

• spedprof
    spedprof
    Community Member

So I suppose the take away is that for a few selected sites that I might want to access on a relative/friends private computer, i.e gmail, amazon, others, I could establish a hard to detect complex password of memorable words, but that for important sites, i.e. banks, retirement, I should use the 1password generated password and only access from home or my personal devices. As for other less important and infrequently accessed sites, i.e. stores, clubs, auto rental, I should also use the 1password generated password and only use my devices. Is that a fair summary of your recommendations?

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

@spedprof that's just it, you don't need to remember any. There's been a few times I needed to login into a site on my moms computer, so I just open up 1Password on my iPhone and just type the password. If anyone one is around, I'll even use a line from Blazing Saddles when I take my phone out "excuse me while I whip this out" :lol: . I have a few where I have multiple words as the password because these are the ones I end up typing by hand.

I hope that helped you :)

• spedprof
    spedprof
    Community Member

Thanks all for helping this newbie... I look forward to working at it and learning more!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@spedprof not a problem. I've been using this app for over 2 years and it's one of my favorites, and I'm still learning about it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Yeah! Word-based passwords are great for that. :chuffed:

@spedprof: I'd also add that many email services (like Gmail and iCloud) now support two-factor authentication. If you use that, I wouldn't say it's "safe" to access your email on an untrusted computer, but it offers protection from some attacks. And frankly there's no reason not to enable it.

Personally, I will occasionally access my own Gmail account from a friend's computer, but not my work account though. I think it's useful to keep in mind both the potential threats and what's at stake when deciding to take risks. Knowledge is power. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.