To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Secret Key? What's that? [see https://support.1password.com/secret-key for information]

msclavenna
msclavenna
Community Member
edited May 2017 in Memberships

We recently bought a new computer (iMac). While trying to set up 1Passord, it's asking for our Secret Key. I don't think we have one. I believe we have a family account, but neither of our existing computers have the options listed in the help section for finding the Secret Key. For instance, on my PC under Settings, there is no "Accounts & Vaults" option listed. Same issues on our Apple products. Is this because we bought 1Password before a Secret Key was established, or am I missing something?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@msclavenna: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion there! Formerly known as the Account Key, Your Secret Key is part of the credentials for a 1Password.com account, if you've signed up for a membership. We've made this change because frankly people kept sharing them and subsequently needed to regenerate them. If you purchased a license for the standalone 1Password app, you won't have one of these, and your license key/file is valid for the specific version you purchased. But you can get access to all of the apps, the web interface, and not have to worry about license management or sync configuration if you sign up for a 1Password membership — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• msclavenna
    msclavenna
    Community Member

Ah - I understand the difference now. We just needed to click the "Sync using Dropbox" option. We hadn't added Dropbox to the new computer yet when we started this process, so I think that was causing the problem. I think we've got it up and running now. Thanks for the help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, Dropbox! That makes sense! Thanks for following up. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you have any other questions! :)

• gregoiregavin
    gregoiregavin
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

I'm using 1Password on a desktop and on a laptop PC (both on Windows). Recently formatted the desktop PC and I want to use 1Password on it as I did for the last one and a half year. Well it seems I bought 1Password for 29.99 $ USD and don't have any Secret key.

Regarding your answer to msclavenna, it seems I have to buy a new account now and can't keep using what I bought without paying again. Did I miss something or is that the new deal ?

Thanks for your answer.

• Frank
    edited April 2017

Hi @gregoiregavin - Sorry for confusion and I'll be happy to help out. You can continue to rock your standalone license just as you were before. You will need to install 1Password 4 from our website just click on the standalone version below the download button. I emailed you over a copy of your standalone license information just in case you need it.

The Secret Key pertains to our 1Password memberships. We include a 30 day free trial giving you a chance to test drive all the features. Let us know if you have any additional questions, I'll be happy to help out. Enjoy the rest of your day :smile:

• gregoiregavin
    gregoiregavin
    Community Member

Thank you @Frank so much for your prompt answer! I didn't see that standalone download button.
    Cheers

• Hi @gregoiregavin - You're very welcome and I'm happy to hear everything worked out. Sorry for the confusion earlier and keep us posted if you run into any questions along the way, we're here and happy to assist :smile: Have a great day!

• raimo
    raimo
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

@Frank does that mean that the Secret Key login from the website is not possible during the Trial Period? I'm trying to evaluate if 1Password is a feasible tool on Chromebook, and since the Chrome extension helper doesn't run on Chromebook (ASUS Flip C100PA ), only option is the 1Password web login, which doesn't seem to work.

This is contradictory to what's written in your website instructions, for example, at https://1password.com/sign-up/ it says: https://image.ibb.co/d1r9ca/note.jpg

• Hi @raimo - You should be able to log into your account and use the web app on your Chromebook. You're correct, the 1Password extension requires the main 1Password app to function properly. You should still be able to sign into your account via the web app using your login credentials: email address, Secret Key, and Master Password. If you're running into trouble signing into your account, let me know and we can continue the conversation via email so I can better assist you. :+1:

• tonyl4
    tonyl4
    Community Member

OK, I've read everything I can find about the "secret key" and I'm still confused. Years ago I purchased 1Password for my Mac and then for my iPhone. I currently sync using Dropbox. Do I have a secret key or is that only available if I sign up for an account on 1Password.com. And, a followup question would be, if I don't have a secret key in my current configuration, is my master password the only thing protecting the passwords I have stored in 1Password? Thanks!

• @tonyl4,

Without a subscription membership to 1Password.com you do not have a Secret Key. They only apply to subscription memberships, and data stored within those membership account vaults (e.x. even if you have a membership but store some data in a standalone vault that standalone vault does not utilize a Secret Key).

And, a followup question would be, if I don't have a secret key in my current configuration, is my master password the only thing protecting the passwords I have stored in 1Password?

Yes and no.

You also have whatever protections exist for your devices, and for Dropbox (as those are the two places where your encrypted data is stored). Simply knowing your Master Password, while bad, is not necessarily enough for a would-be-attacker to access your data. They would generally also need to be able to get at the encrypted data, which in your case is would be either through one of your devices, or through Dropbox.

For example, if I have a vault stored on Dropbox, and I tell you the Master Password to that vault... can you unlock it? No. Because you still don't have access to either my Dropbox account or one of my devices.

That said the Master Password is likely the strongest point in the chain, and so you certainly wouldn't want to give it out.

Does that make sense?

Ben

• tonyl4
    tonyl4
    Community Member

Yes, it does make sense, Ben. Thanks for responding!

Tony

• On behalf of Ben, you're welcome. :) We're here if you have some other questions.

• ijonty
    ijonty
    Community Member

Hi, I'm a licence holder so don't have a secret key. But I'm attempting to deauthorize a lost device, and can't see how I do that without a secret key. Can you help?

• Hi @ijonty,

It isn't possible to deauthorize a lost device that only uses standalone vaults (non-1Password.com subscription membership vaults). What deauthorizing does is prevents the device from accessing your 1Password.com membership account without again entering the Secret Key. Since none of that applies with standalone vaults, there is no option to do so.

Ben

• ijonty
    ijonty
    Community Member

Ah ok, many thanks for the info.

• You're very welcome. Have a great weekend! If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• LFRMatos
    LFRMatos
    Community Member

Hi, I have a standalone version, and now I´ve updated de IOS app but I need the Secret Key to continue... and now? Is it over?

• Hi @LFRMatos - If you're rocking a standalone license and you're setting up 1Password on your iPhone, you want to select the same sync source you're currently using from the welcome screen. For instance, when you open the 1Password app on your iPhone, from the welcome screen, under "Already using 1Password" select iCloud or Dropbox - the same sync source you're already using on your desktop. The Secret Key pertains to customers that have signed up for a 1Password Membership. The Secret Key is used to encrypt your data in conjunction with your Master Password. We provide you with a unique Secret Key during the account set up process. I hope this helped and let us know if you have any additional questions.

This discussion has been closed.