Level of security with weak or no device PIN

This discussion was created from comments split from: suggestion for improvement of safety to use touch ID.

Comments

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member

I always wondered, if someone is using weak or no iPhone (iPad) passcode, then anyone who gets hold of that device could program their own Touch ID fingerprint and access all there is available on that device?
    I'm talking about scenario with 4 digit passcode that is very easy to observe and subsequently appropriate the device.
    I would consider this 100% users responsibility (weak passcode) but at the same time this is relatively easy way to get hold of and control of someone's digital life.
    Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2017

Hi @Fairgame

As we're getting off a bit into the theoretical vs an actual problem or request someone has w/r/t 1Password I've split this off into its own thread in the Lounge. Hope you don't mind. :)

A passcode must be created before Touch ID can be enabled (at the device level). So that is one additional thing to think about. :) Of course if you have no passcode on your device at all I think you're just begging for trouble.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Security is and will always be a challenge particularly among the elderly. Many times, I am unable to get legible fingerprints from grandparents and they don't remember PIN codes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: I hear you. But fortunately there's an app for that! 1Password Families (and Teams) are a great way to share vaults securely with others, so that they can save their PIN codes and passwords there and grant you access to it so you can help them if they forget. And of course if they forget their 1Password account credentials, you can help them recover. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.