1password is changing password info [Bank of Melbourne and St. George login issues]

Options
2»

Comments

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member
    Options

Ha! I should have known better than to assume the banks would pull their heads out of their arses. ;) Love your work, thanks a lot! It looks like it's fixed the issues on solium.com as well.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @VirtualWolf,

That's probably the toughest part of working on issues surrounding filling, changes to help in one location can help or hinder elsewhere too. I didn't know we were having difficulty filling at solium.com so it's a positive side-effect although I don't know which change specifically helped. The hope is each change always has positive effects elsewhere but we don't always get it right. The outright variety of website designs ensures it's always interesting :lol:

I'm glad there was something in the end we could do to improve compatibility with the specific design used by these Australian banks as it isn't always the case. There are still some banks known to us that have done their upmost to ensure the password cannot be filled by the likes of us and I stand by the belief that this only serves to weaken a person's security as a password that has to be remembered or typed will almost undoubtedly end up being weaker than one used if a password manager is allowed to assist.

I trust 1Password, I trusted it long before I gained the opportunity to join the team. I trust my bank as far as I can fling them.

• Age_Pat
    Age_Pat
    Community Member
    Options

Great work. Very excited to see this working.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you and I'm glad we had a positive result here as banks are tricky :smile:

• pixelboy
    pixelboy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys,

Unfortunately it appears St George have changed their login again and as a result the same old issue of fields being scrambled has returned so 1Password is broken again for St George.

1Password 6.7.1
    MacOS Sierra 10.12.5

• dakeeper
    dakeeper
    Community Member
    Options

just worked for me just now

• pixelboy
    pixelboy
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Really. Odd. Just tried again - def not working for me in Firefox, Safari or Chrome.

Restarted. Deleted old 1Password login. Logged in manually to St George. 1Password didn't prompt me to save login. So def busted for me.

• pixelboy
    pixelboy
    Community Member
    Options

FYI - I managed to get it working by trashing old St George login in 1Password (which has been working fine for ages but broke without reason today). I then manually saved a new StGeorge login but saved field values had all been changed/scrambled in 1Password (as they used to do when this problem first came to light). I then manually changed incorrect field values to the correct values and it worked.

Something's up though. Why else would it suddenly break? ANNNyhoooo.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @pixelboy,

Sometimes if we've made big changes an update can cause certain Login items to not work until a new one is saved. Have you updated 1Password at all recently, maybe after a period of either ignoring an offered update or it wasn't making you aware there was one?

We do try to keep these kind of changes to a minimum but sometimes the only way to improve filling is to accept that the changes will break certain saved Login items but that new ones will work. There isn't much we can do about the mangled values stored in the Login item sadly as the site is obfuscating the real values before 1Password gets involved.

If you find it breaks again any time soon please do let us know as that wouldn't sound right at all.

• pixelboy
    pixelboy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi littlebobbytables,

Thanks for your response.

I keep 1Password up to date via 'Automatically check for updates', so no updates more recent than April 28, 2017. The Stgeorge login had def been working fine after that update so don't think the update was the problem. Anyway, I hear what you're saying and thank you again for your response.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for reporting this. It's still a bit of a mystery what happened, but I'm glad to hear things are working for you, and we'll continue to keep an eye on things as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.