Turn off 'Unlock 1Password to save this Login'

This may be a lazy question about browser extensions (safari particularly) but I think it would make things easier. So if I have not unlocked my vault, any webpage I go to and sign in asks me to 'Unlock 1Password to save Login'. I really only use 1password for group projects at work and don't want to be bothered by it otherwise. I unlock it to manually add a new login or unlock it to use a login, I don't want to start saving all of my logins in it for my private stuff like for school and I don't want to have to whitelist a bunch of websites.

Could you add a checkbox option to the extension's preferences to disable the 'save login' form? That way I can continue to use it to store passwords but not get bothered by it for private browsing.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how to ask a question

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

@jakehumphrey: Ah, I'm glad you brought it up. In fact, the unlock prompt is not a "feature" of 1Password at all; rather, it is a byproduct of the fact that 1Password needs to actually decrypt your data in order to know if it even needs to offer to save a new login. However, if you disable 1Password for Mac Preferences > Browsers >
    "Autosave: Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them"
    you won't be prompted at all, neither to unlock so 1Password can check, nor to save new logins (but you can always manually save a new login.
    I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions! :)

• maderskog
    maderskog
    Community Member

@brenty: I would really like to have my cookie and eat it too, so if it could be somehow changed so that it becomes "Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them, but only when 1password is unlocked, otherwise don't bother me" it would be a great thing.
    :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Haha nice! If we can find a way to keep 1Password secure and at the same time make it smart enough to know when we do and don't want it to offer to save passwords for us (or, better yet, just know), we'd love to. Also, cookies; bake me some cookies, 1Password! ;)

• jamie_murphy
    jamie_murphy
    Community Member

+1 Want 1password to give this option
    "Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them, but only when 1password is unlocked, otherwise don't bother me"

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi,

So I want to start by saying the following is merely my own opinion. It does not mean it will be the case and I could be wrong. Indeed you will probably hope I am wrong and I won't mind if you say that :smile:

When it comes to adding more settings and preferences the development team is typically very conservative. Indeed there are often arguments for the removal of certain options because they only seem to cause trouble. Obviously no options at all would be too far but each new request does bear a lot scrutiny and harsh evaluation. Therefore I suspect it is unlikely such an option will be added unless we saw a large demand, and I do mean large, for such an option.

As it stands with 1Password I only see two scenarios. There is one where you have to press the escape key on a regular basis to dismiss the 1Password request and the other is to disable auto-save entirely and instead switch it round, manually saving when you want 1Password to save a new one (our page, "How to save a Login manually in your browser" (https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/) describes how). I do realise that neither may seem like an acceptable approach and that you would still really like to see such an option added to the preferences. I sympathise but I also don't wish to offer any false hope if such a request is unlikely to be added any time soon.

I apologise for not being able to bring the positivity you wish I could have to this thread.

This discussion has been closed.