Focus not moving to Mini when icon clicked (Chrome on Windows)

David Spink
David Spink
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I think this is a new thing - but today I've managed to Google my master password twice!

What's happening is that if I have the focus on the Chrome address bar - then click the 1Password icon the Login prompt appears with a flashing cursor - however the focus has actually remained with the Chrome address bar. So the result is I inadvertently Google my master password, which, obviously, is bad.

I've noticed the same thing happens even when it's unlocked - ie. instead of searching my logins, whatever I type ends up in the Chrome address bar also.

David

1Password Version: 6.6.433
Extension Version: 4.6.7.2
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1703
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hi @David Spink,

Thanks for reporting this.

At the moment, we haven't been able to reproduce this yet. Do you see it happen consistently? Does it only happen after you wake up the computer or do you recall any pattern?

In order to force 1Password to show up on top of Chrome, we have to send a fake mouse click to 1Password mini when you click on 1Password icon in the browser. The reason is because you're clicking into Chrome, not 1Password and Windows doesn't permit bringing up a background process to front/focused if the user didn't ask for it.

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member

That's interesting I haven't closed/reopened chrome since this was happening earlier - but now i can't get it to do it! Earlier on I could consistently repeat what I described above and it was doing it - now it's fine!

If it happens again I'll try and work out the sequence of events.

David

• Hi @David Spink,

Thanks, that will help a lot. I'm still trying to make it happen but so far, it is reliable for me.

You said you haven't closed Chrome, could it be a pending Chrome update in the background waiting for you to restart it? This sometimes does weird things to 1Password due to security checks against a changed file on disk. If you haven't close Chrome still, go to Chrome's about screen to see if there is any pending update.

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

Yeah - that could be it then - pending update installing now! Thanks.

David

• Great, thanks for checking on that for me. We'll keep an eye on that and see if we can reproduce it.

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member

Ok... it's happening again and I can repeat it.

Start with Chrome closed completely.

Open Chrome.

Click away from Chrome to another window (I was clicking Outlook)

Click directly back to the 1Password icon on the Chrome window.

Try and type something.

Consistently my key presses go no where.

The other way which resulted in my googling my master password was to click within the address bar in chrome before clicking away to another program - that way when I click back to open 1Password Mini my typing comes up in the address bar instead - despite the flashing cursor in the 1Password textbox.

David

• Hi @David Spink,

Here's a gif of me trying to match that:

Did I miss anything?

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT ,

Before moving the focus away from Chrome first click on another element within Chrome - the address bar, or some input item on the displayed webpage, etc.

David

• Hi @David Spink,

I'm not able to reproduce it like the way you said it. I did see a misclick where you click near 1Password icon and it doesn't bring up 1Password mini, could that be the issue?

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member

@MikeT, no mini opens and the text box and flashing cursor is there but the input gets directed either to the address bar or no where.

Shame I don't have a screen recorder so I can capture what's going on. Any suggestion for what I could use!

David

• Well, Windows 10 has GameBar recording built in but it is for games only. You could work around with it if you want.

For GIFs, I use LICEcap. You can try Recordit but I'm not familiar with it.

A popular one is ShareX as well.

This discussion has been closed.