Feature Request - Bring Back the PIN Code access

Options
drhankz
drhankz
Community Member

I hate having to enter my very long and secure MASTER password all the time.
I loved having a PIN CODE ACCESS..

I control who can access my computer. JUST ME. I live alone and work at home
and there is no one here to access 1Password except me.

Even Window 10 allows me to create a PIN after I have established a secure
password. This is the 21st century and you guys are acting like it is the 20th.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

I hate having to enter my very long and secure MASTER password all the time.

Go to Preferences > Security and disable auto-lock?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drhankz,

Thanks for writing in to ask about this, but 1Password for Mac has never included an option to unlock it with a PIN code instead of your master password. The iOS version of 1Password has had a PIN code option, but not the Mac version. Could you be thinking of a different app, or a feature of the operating system?

As pervel suggested, you can change how often you need to unlock 1Password by adjusting the Auto-lock settings in 1Password > Preferences > Security.

I see that you also emailed us about this multiple times, and members from our team have already replied to those emails. To avoid confusion, if you have more questions related to that, it's best to keep the conversation going directly via email so you don't need to check multiple places for answers, and so we don't duplicate efforts. Cheers! :)

ref: RNW-56361-962
    ref: KYA-42768-858

• drhankz
    drhankz
    Community Member
    Options

I am not sure who you are Drew but I have been a 1Password user since DAY-1.
    You could enter a 4 digit PIN and it worked that way until recently. I have turned
    OFF auto Lock - that might let me live with it better [GRIN]!

Have a Great Weekend.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drhankz,

I am not sure who you are Drew but I have been a 1Password user since DAY-1.

Thank you for all your support of 1Password over the years! It's great to hear from our long-time customers. :)

My name is Drew, it's nice to meet you! I'm an AgileBits Team member, and I mainly help our customers with the Mac version of 1Password. I've been using 1Password for Mac since 2011 (version 3 at the time), which was before I joined AgileBits. So from personal experience in addition to all that I've learned here, I'm 100% positive that 1Password for Mac versions 3, 4, 5, and 6 have not had an option to use a PIN code instead of a master password (unless of course you chose a 4-digit number as your master password, but that wouldn't really be a PIN code - it would just be an incredibly weak master password).

It sounds like you've been using 1Password for Mac longer than I have, which means you likely have experience with version 1 and/or 2. In fact, anything you remember about those early versions probably outweighs what I know about them. Although I didn't think version 1 or 2 included an option like that, I wasn't completely sure, and didn't want to give an answer that might be incorrect. Therefore, before I replied to your first post, I checked with developers here who have been working on the Mac version for years before I started using it, including Dave (the co-creator of 1Password). To be honest, I was hoping to find out that I was wrong and learn something new, but they confirmed what I suspected: although 1Password for iOS has had an option to unlock it with a PIN code, 1Password for Mac has not.

Now, the reason I explained all of that is not to try to convince you one way or the other about the existence of that feature - instead, I just wanted to assure you that I put time, thought, and research into my response, as I'd hate for you to think otherwise. Regardless of whether that option ever existed in 1Password for Mac, the point is that it doesn't have that option now, and you wish that it did. Although I don't think our developers have any plans to add a PIN code option to unlock 1Password for Mac, I'd be happy to forward your feedback/request to them.

Even though you'd prefer a PIN code, I'm very happy to hear that adjusting the auto-lock settings has helped. Thanks again for your support and for sharing your thoughts about 1Password! We're here for you if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• drhankz
    drhankz
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I didn't think it would allow me to create a 4 digit password.

I will try that.

For many of the years with 1Password early addition I was
    using MAC OS 10.6.5. WHY? Because it allowed me to use
    the MAC Emulator Software which enables PPC Applications I
    can not live without.

Just two weeks ago - the Company who made my Graphics
    application finally got on the modern day OS X 10.12.5..

And as a result of that I bought a NEW MAC AIR running 10.12.5,
    because Canvas Draw 3 now works on a new Computer. I do
    a lot of graphic design and at 72 years old I will be dammed if
    I need to learn something new [GRIN].

Hank

• drhankz
    drhankz
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I could not see my last comment

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drhankz,

I didn't think it would allow me to create a 4 digit password.

I will try that.

Just to be clear, I was not suggesting that you do that. As I mentioned, a 4-digit number would be an incredibly weak master password. If someone were to somehow get a copy of your 1Password data file, and that data file was only protected by a 4-digit number, it would be relatively easy for them to gain access to your data with a password cracking program.

Your 1Password master password is extremely important, so it's extremely important that you use a strong one. You said your current master password is "very long and secure", which is good. But if you want to change it to something that is easier to enter yet still strong, please take a look at this knowledgebase article: How to choose a good Master Password

That article includes a link to an article on our blog called "Toward Better Master Passwords" which has some excellent information on how to create a memorable password that is also long enough to be very secure.

Please let us know if you have questions about that. I hope you enjoy your new Mac and 1Password 6. Have a great weekend! :)

• drhankz
    drhankz
    Community Member
    Options

I have been real happy turning off auto-lock

Thanks Drew

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! I'm really glad that was helpful for you. If you need anything else, you know where to find us. ;)

This discussion has been closed.