Why are you using pale gray text on white? It is difficult to read.

dlettvin
dlettvin
Community Member

As someone who provides tech support for seniors, including several with diminished eyesight, I don't understand why your forms prompt for information in such a challenging way. They inability to resize the interface is also a problem. Your program looks like it would be excellent for my clients, but I hesitate to recommend something that doesn't provide more visual flexibility.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dlettvin,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about this. There are many different windows or dialogs in 1Password that you might be referring to, so I'm not sure exactly which one you mean. Can you give an example of exactly where you're seeing the text/background that is difficult for some to read? And also what part of the app you'd like to be able to resize? I'm sure our developers can consider making some improvements, but they'll need to know exactly where those improvements would need to be made. ;) Thanks!

• dlettvin
    dlettvin
    Community Member

Sorry to take so long to respond. I case is the data entry screen for credit cards. The grey of the titles is as faint as the grey of the hints which frankly are so pale that I need to activate a contrast booster just to ensure I gtet things where they're supposed to be. Here's a screenshot of the screen in question, but many others suffer from the same problem.

• dlettvin
    dlettvin
    Community Member

Perhaps it is because I'm using an HP monitor with a Mac Mini (giving you an excuse there) but if I increase the monitor contrast enough to read the text, It makes everything else, especially videos too dark to see. If the grey on white is important to the brand, perhaps a control to switch to black and white forms would be possible. Also, just to be clear, I do not have this problem with any of my other apps.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you very much, @dlettvin! Taking some extra time to respond is no problem at all - the font color is obviously still causing trouble, so we still welcome your feedback about it. :)

We've heard similar things from other customers about this, and I'll be happy to add your comments to our internal tracker to let our developers know. Hopefully we'll improve this in the future to make it easier to read. Thanks again for contacting us about this! If you need anything else, we're here for you. :)

ref: OPM-3597

• leemale15604
    leemale15604
    Community Member

Sounds like you are on a Mac. All the normal print on the last two OSs have been very light. I wish I could make all print and graphics bold. Contrast, brightness etc. controls in System Preferences do not allow enough control.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @leemale15604,

Indeed, we've been discussing the text color in the Mac version of 1Password. Thanks for your input on that! I don't think we can blame this on the OS, though - the font color we use in 1Password is something we're able to change, regardless of the settings in System Preferences.

• leemale15604
    leemale15604
    Community Member

When I said ALL I meant EVERYTHING on the iMac screen, not just 1Password.

• dlettvin
    dlettvin
    Community Member

I do have people that I want to recommend this app to. Most of them, however, are on the far side of 70, and accessibility is a significant problem. I'm pleased with the functionality and the integration with Alfred 3, but my eyes complain about the forms. My stopgap measure is to switch to a high-contrast display profile temporarily while working in 1Password, but it really is an irritating kludge.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@leemale15604, I know you were referring to everything on the screen. My point was that the font color in 1Password doesn't have to be the same as everything else - we can change the color of the text used in 1Password. Currently, some fields in 1Password use a lighter shade of gray than other fields. Some customers have trouble reading the lighter shade, but the darker shade is fine.

Now, it's possible that the OS or monitor settings could make everything on the screen a little too light, but that's not the problem we're talking about. Instead, the issue is that some people have trouble reading certain fields in 1Password, even though they can easily read everything else on their screen. So, that's something specific to 1Password, and hopefully we can improve it.

I hope that helps to clear up any confusion about what we're discussing. Cheers! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dlettvin,

We truly appreciate that you'd like to recommend 1Password to others! I understand exactly what you mean, and hopefully we'll be able to address this sooner rather than later. Thanks again for your feedback! :)

• leemale15604
    leemale15604
    Community Member

Thanks for info, and your response. Lee

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or need help with 1Password. Have a great weekend! :)

• kahuna_cos
    kahuna_cos
    Community Member

Hi. I am a very happy 1Password user, and have been so for almost a year. However, there is one characteristic of 1Password that is extremely annoying and should be very easy to fix: the use of a ridiculously pale gray font color on a white background. I see from other postings here that I am not the first person to identify this issue, which I am not at all surprised about. I am extremely surprised, however, that it has not been fixed given that this issue has been raised previously and should be very easy to remedy. Please let me and others in the community know when this will be remedied and what, if anything, we will need to do. Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kahuna_cos: Indeed, but as you can see, it doesn't come up often. And I think that it's important to account for accessibility in general, not just font colours and sizes (since many people cannot see those at all). This is where we've been focusing more attention this past year, as otherwise it is impossible for many users to use 1Password at all. But as we develop future versions, we'll be looking at what we can do to make better choices with regard to font weight and colour too, and how they interact with macOS contrast settings (which didn't exist when 1Password 6 was first developed). Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

• dlettvin
    dlettvin
    Community Member

BTW Another thing to look at is your toolbar icon which is not well-behaved. I use Chrome. If I switch to a dark theme, the 1Password icon essentially disappears into it. I know it's there, and can find it, but it just looks like a space on the toolbar.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dlettvin: Can you give me an example? This is an issue we addressed a while ago. For me it looks like this, even with Bartender running:

Are you seeing something different?

• dlettvin
    dlettvin
    Community Member

Here are some screenshots for you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dlettvin: Ah, sorry. I completely misunderstood. Of course you were referring to the browser extension... :(

Now that Mozilla has made what was previously a dev-only dark mode available to all Firefox users, we've been working on some improvements there (along with support for future versions in progress). Definitely check out the beta, as we're using SVG there to allow for better scaling and clarity:

1Password browser extensions (beta)

Chrome is a different story though, as it doesn't have a "dark theme", only 3rd party extensions that modify Chrome's window chrome, so this is a lower priority (if you have a good dark theme to recommend though, let me know, as the ones I've tried looked terrible). We may be able to find a way to improve the icon there which will read better regardless of the theme, but, as with Firefox, there's no way for this to be adjusted on the fly to match the current theme.

Anyway, in either case, it's always quicker to use the keyboard shortcuts instead of clicking a tiny toolbar button though: ⌘ \ (fill login), ⌘ ⌥ \ (1Password mini). Cheers! :)

ref: OPX-905, OPX-1362

• dlettvin
    dlettvin
    Community Member

I'm the one who should apologize for not being specific sorry.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nah, you mentioned Chrome. I should have made that connection. Thanks again for your feedback — and kindness in spite of my foibles. ;)

This discussion has been closed.