Windows + Mac + Android version/license confusion

I am confused.
In 2014 I purchased [1Password Mac + Windows Bundle (Single User License)]
I chose 1password over your competitors mainly because you allow syncing the vault privately. I currently sync my vault via peer-to-peer syncing. I do not want my vault on any sentralized server.

I keep 1password updated on all platforms. Currently the versions have "slid apart":
Windows = 4.6.1.620
Mac = 6.7.1 (671001)
Android = 6.5.2

I have read some posts on the forum and now I am a bit concerned / confused.

• Is it correct that on windows the latest version does not support syncing the vault privately?
  • Is it correct that on mac syncing of the vault privately is still going to be supported?
  • Is it correct that on android syncing of the vault privatly is still going to be supported?
  • Is it a bad idea to run Mac version 6.7.1 towards the same vault (synced) as windows version 4.6.1.620? Will they stay compatible?
  • Why is it possible to update the software on mac and android (to v6.x.x) and not on windows (stuck at 4.x.x)?
  • I will insist on keeping my vault on my own devices only. I do not care how secure you believe your storage is or if you feel that my vault password should be enough to protect my vault. It saddens me to see you taking steps to remove the private syncing possibility.

Regards,
Øyvin Eikeland

1Password Version: 4.6.1.620 6.7.1 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6 Windows 7 Android 5.0.2
Sync Type: peer-to-peer

Comments

• FrankFrank

Team Member

Hi @oyvine - Thank you for reaching out to us and I appreciate the details you provide. I'll do my best to tackle your questions below -

Is it correct that on windows the latest version does not support syncing the vault privately?

Yes, 1Password 6 for Windows is only compatible with a 1Password membership at this time.

Is it correct that on mac syncing of the vault privately is still going to be supported?

We still support local syncing via Dropbox and iCloud. In fact, we just updated to using Dropbox's new API :wink:

Is it correct that on android syncing of the vault privatly is still going to be supported?

Yes, syncing via Dropbox on Android is still supported.

Is it a bad idea to run Mac version 6.7.1 towards the same vault (synced) as windows version 4.6.1.620? Will they stay compatible?

Are you referring to syncing your Primary vault via Dropbox? That's definitely the way to go if you want to sync across platforms. With a 1Password membership, you don't have to manage any sync source, it just works. Just a thought.

Why is it possible to update the software on mac and android (to v6.x.x) and not on windows (stuck at 4.x.x)?

1Password 6 on Windows was a complete re-write from the ground up. Our focus is making sure 1Password 6 is the best experience with a 1Password membership at the moment.

I will insist on keeping my vault on my own devices only. I do not care how secure you believe your storage is or if you feel that my vault password should be enough to protect my vault. It saddens me to see you taking steps to remove the private syncing possibility.

That's completely up to you. If you prefer to rock your standalone license and sync via Dropbox, that's perfectly fine with us. We haven't removed local syncing from anyone of our apps - iOS, Android, Mac, and 1Password 4 on Windows all still support local syncing. Local vaults were never added to 1Password 6 on Windows. I appreciate the feedback and I hope you continue to enjoy using 1Password :+1: I appreciate you stopping by and for sending over the feedback.

• Hi,
    some more comments:
    1. I do not use dropbox for syncing. That would defeat the purpose of not having the password database stored on anyone else´s computer. I use direct peer-to-peer syncing (not dropbox or google drive etc)
    2. I do not think you addressed my concern about database compatibility. I am concerned that at some point the database format will break backwards compatibility with version 4. Can I rest assured that this will not happen?
    3. I really hope you will continue to support local syncing.
    4. You should add local syncing to your new version for windows as well. It is a feature that sets you apart from the competition.
    5. I will not be able to recommend your product to other people if you do not support local syncing for new customers.

Regards,
    Øyvin

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi Øyvin

I'm sorry to hear that the direction we're taking is not compatible with your objectives.

1. I do not think you addressed my concern about database compatibility. I am concerned that at some point the database format will break backwards compatibility with version 4. Can I rest assured that this will not happen?

I can't make that promise. While we have no plans at this point to make changes to the database structure for standalone vaults there is no guarantee that we will not make changes in the future, and we are no longer updating 1Password 4 for Windows.

1. You should add local syncing to your new version for windows as well. It is a feature that sets you apart from the competition.

This may come, in time, but our focus now and for the foreseeable future is on our 1Password.com membership service.

1. I will not be able to recommend your product to other people if you do not support local syncing for new customers.

We are not marketing the standalone apps for new customers. The only option we are marketing is our 1Password.com membership.

I'd really recommend taking a look at our 1Password Security Design White Paper, and our Information for Law Enforcement. The only 1Password data we hold is encrypted with keys that only you ever have. We aren't a valuable target because we cannot turn over or lose any plain text 1Password data: we have no way of obtaining it.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.