Can't choose a Dropbox vault as Vault for saving [1Password 6 does not support local vaults]

Options
manibam
manibam
Community Member

Hello togehter

I have added two vaults: (Team and Dropbox)

But i only can save new passwords (via Firefox) only in the Team Vault, not in the Dropbox Vault...

1Password Version: 6.1.304
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @manibam,

Thanks for the detailed post and screenshots of the issue! 1Password 6 does not have complete support for Dropbox vaults and is not yet able to create new items, edit items, or save new items. This is why you aren't able to save newly created items to your Dropbox vault.
    I cannot give you a specific timeline, but we definitely plan on adding full support for Dropbox vaults and other sync types in the future.

• manibam
    manibam
    Community Member
    Options

any News?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@manibam: We don't have anything to announce yet, as local vault support isn't quite ready for public consumption. But we're getting closer. :)

• manibam
    manibam
    Community Member
    Options

any News?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @manibam,

Thank you for getting back to us!

We are improving 1Password 6 for Windows every day (new update 6.6 was released just yesterday), but the support for local vaults in 1Password 6 is not something we are working on at the moment. In 1Password 6 for Windows we are focused on 1Password.com accounts, because 1Password 4 supports local vaults and we are not going to drop support for 1Password 4. As Mike noted here, 1Password 4 remains the only officially supported version for local vaults and we will maintain that support. Moreover, we've just shipped a beta update to 1Password 4 to add Native Messaging support for the upcoming 1Password extension update for Firefox.

Let me apologise for the initial confusion with the local vaults in 1Password 6. The manual syncing for vaults in Dropbox in the previous versions of 1Password 6 were added specifically for migrating your local vaults into 1Password.com account without having to install the Dropbox client first. We've gotten rid of this because people thought this meant local vaults were supported but it wasn't. We're going to be a bit more aggressive to clarify that 1Password 6 should not be used full time with local vaults when it doesn't have all of the data such as attachments and doesn't support specific old formats.

Please let us know if it helps. Should you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out to us anytime. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• trolley
    trolley
    Community Member
    Options

So when will local vault support come to a version other than 4? I've spent a lot of money on different versions of 1Password for Mac, Windows, and iOS and now I'm being left behind.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@trolley: As Greg mentioned, it's not something we're working on right now, so it's impossible to say — and I'd rather not resort to idle speculation. Right now 1Password 4 is the way to use local vaults on Windows, and 1Password 6 is the way to use a 1Password.com account. If you'd like to give 1Password.com a try, you can sign up for free for 30 days; and if you'll shoot us an email from your registered address and post the Support ID you receive here, we'll see what we can do to help you make the transition.

• gamma6
    gamma6
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty You said the opposite in your post in January. What changed and why?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gamma6: I'm not sure I follow. I did not say in January that 1Password 6 was ready to be used with local vaults. That would be the opposite. I'm not going to answer your questions directly, as that would be mean sharing information which is meant to be private publicly, but it's an open secret that we've been working with Microsoft on supporting Edge, as well as other big things to support upcoming browser releases...and you can see from the release notes that we've shipped four huge updates within that same time frame with a ton of new features, improvements, and fixes, all of which take a lot of time and energy to develop, test, and support, with more in the pipeline. But I can't comment on the specifics of unreleased features and upcoming versions any more than that.

• gamma6
    gamma6
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty You said "It isn't quite ready yet [...] but we're getting closer". That implies that you were working on it. Now you're saying you're not working on it. So I want to know what changed between then and now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gamma6: You left out the first part. For context:

We don't have anything to announce yet, as local vault support isn't quite ready for public consumption. But we're getting closer.

All the work that we do moves us forward, and checks things off our todo list (and closes issues in the repo). The only way we're ever going to ship local vault support in the new Windows app is if we finish the other things which are higher priority first. And as I also mentioned above,

we've been working with Microsoft on supporting Edge, as well as other big things to support upcoming browser releases

Nothing has changed. Browser integration (Edge support, and having new WebExtensions ready for both Chrome and Firefox in not only 1Password 6 but also 1Password 4) is necessarily a higher priority than having a second Windows app with local vaults. If these were off our plate already then we'd be free to work on something else. That's why there's no news on this front, and that's not a change at all. Otherwise you wouldn't have to ask; we'd have announced something.

This discussion has been closed.