1Password for Mac Not In Spotlight Search Results

Options
flyonthedragons92
flyonthedragons92
Community Member
edited April 2017 in Mac

Hi there,

Just in the last 24 hours or so, my 1Password disappeared from appearing in my Spotlight search results on macOS Sierra. I have to physically open my Applications folder in Finder to get to 1Password. I'd like to be able to get to it from Spotlight. Any ideas of how to fix?

Please let me know if anybody has any solutions. Thanks in advanced! Sample results:

Update: A full system restart busted the Spotlight cache and is now displaying 1Password app in results again. Please consider this resolved. Sorry for the trouble.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.6.4 (664002) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @flyonthedragons92,

I'm glad a restart solved the problem! Thanks for following up here to let us know about that. If you need anything else, we're here for you! :)

• przemmaj
    przemmaj
    Community Member
    Options

In my case restart is not helping. Any other ideas?

• rudy
    Options

@przemmaj,

Have you taken a look at your Spotlight settings in System Preferences.app to see if 1Password might be in a directory you have excluded or not a member of one of the included categories?

Rudy

• przemmaj
    przemmaj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @rudy

I don't have any excluded folders in Spotlight settings. This happened after last update of 1password.

• rudy
    Options

@przemmaj,

Have you tried telling Spotlight to re-index? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

Rudy

• przemmaj
    przemmaj
    Community Member
    Options

It took some time and it is working again. I didn't try to re-index as didn't know which folders should I choose according to this art.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thanks for the update @przemmaj. Glad to hear it is working now. For anyone else reading, you probably want to re-index the entire disk (called "Macintosh HD" by default on most systems).

Ben

• przemmaj
    przemmaj
    Community Member
    Options

Won't you have then all not needed files indexed ? like sobe /usr/libs/* ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I haven't had issues with that. Spotlight is pretty good at returning relevant results with the default settings. Cheers! :)

• elbel9283
    elbel9283
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

This has been happening for a few days. I've restarted. I have no "do not index" folders. I tried adding and removing Applications to my "do not index" list per Apple's suggestion. I only have spotlight work for applications, calculator, and preferences. It's happening only on 1 computer (my work laptop), not my personal imac. Both computers are running MacOS 10.12.5.

1Password
    Version 6.8 (680014)
    Mac App Store

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that. If Spotlight isn't working correctly for you and troubleshooting on your own with Apple's support documentation hasn't helped, definitely contact Apple support.

• lmbrooksjr
    lmbrooksjr
    Community Member
    Options

I have the most current Mac and 1password, and I've been having the same issue with the app not coming up when I'm searching for it either.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lmbrooksjr: Did you try Apple's guide linked above? 3rd party apps like 1Password have no control over whether Spotlight indexes them, so that's your best bet.

• binderup
    binderup
    Community Member
    Options

I have seen the same issue a few times. It helps doing a re-index, but after a few weeks the issue is back.

I don't have an exclude list either - Spotlight is as out of the box.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for chiming in, @binderup - you might try a restart, as was suggested earlier in this thread, but other than that, we don't really have any ability to provide support for this. Good luck!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

For what it's worth, I just had the same problem: Spotlight "forgot" my normal copy (non-Chromium) of Google Chrome, and having Spotlight reindex my Applications folder got it back. Cheers! :)

• emarref
    emarref
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

I find this happens every time after a 1Password update via the mac app store. No other apps seem to have this problem. It's a real pain having to re-index spotlight every time I notice I can't see 1Password in Spotlight.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, it's the job of Spotlight to keep its index up to date automatically in the background. I'm not sure why it doesn't do that for some people. It usually just takes about a minute on my old Mac for newly updated apps to show up again in a Spotlight search.

This discussion has been closed.