Unable to sync vault from Dropbox on new iPad

This discussion was created from comments split from: iPhone 7 IOS 10.3.2 can not find my dropbox vault.

Comments

• Aaron H.
    Aaron H.
    Community Member

I'm having this exact issue attempting to set up 1Password on a new iPad that works via Dropbox among multiple devices but new setup claims to not find agilekeychain located in the default location.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

Hi @Aaron H.,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble setting up 1Password on a new iPad! I hope you don't mind, but I've split your post into a separate thread so we can focus on this specific issue.

When you open 1Password on the new iPad and see the setup screen, are you scrolling down and choosing the option to sync with Dropbox? If so, but it doesn't find the .agilekeychain in your Dropbox account, please double-check the sync settings on one of your other devices:

• On a Mac, open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync. Assuming Dropbox is selected as the sync method, check the file name and path of the .agilekeychain bundle.
    • Or on another iOS device, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary. Assuming Sync Service shows Dropbox, tap it and check the file name and path of the .agilekeychain bundle (underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox).

Next, please install the Dropbox app on your new iPad (if it isn't already installed), then open it and sign into your Dropbox account. Are you able to find your .agilekeychain sync bundle (it will look like a folder) in the same location shown on one of your other devices?

ref: FRC-14476-237/

• raiden00
    raiden00
    Community Member

Hello,

I have two vaults synchronized in Dropbox: my main one, and another one that I share.
    My main vault is located at:
    ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain (the default location, I believe)

My shared vault is located in another folder that is much deeper in the Dropbox folder structure.

Both vaults are synchronized in two macs and in two iOS devices without issues.

I have just purchased a new iPad 10.5 running iOS 10.
    When installing Dropbox and 1Password in the new iPad I'm only given the choice to synchronize my shared vault, however the main one is not found by 1Password. If I accept and choose the shared one, that one synchronizes properly. However, if I try to add an additional one, it only finds the shared one. The main one (in the default dropbox location) is not found by the app.

I have uninstalled both 1Password and Dropbox and started from scratch multiple times, but I always get the same result.

If it helps, I have two Dropbox accounts: my personal one, and an enterprise one. All my 1Password stuff is in the personal one. Obviously I always choose to use the Personal account when Dropbox asks me which one I want to use with 1Password, so that is not the issue.

My other devices are currently synchronizing both vaults perfectly fine at the moment.

1Password Version: 6.7.2
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS 10.3.2
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• raiden00
    raiden00
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue.
    Any updates on this?

All my other devices are working perfectly fine. It's just that I can't find my main vault in the new iPad (Dropbox sync).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @raiden00,

Sorry to hear you're having the same issue! We haven't heard back from the OP, so there's no update. However, I think I've seen a few reports of similar problems recently, so I'm going to check with our developers to see if they have an idea of why this might be happening.

Can you please let us know the exact version of 1Password on your iPad, as well as the OS version? Also, what other devices are syncing with your 1Password data? If you make a change to 1Password on one of those devices, does it sync correctly to the others?

Did you set up your new iPad from scratch, or did you restore it from a backup of another iOS device?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @raiden00,

After my last response (above), I noticed you also opened a new forum thread about this problem. Since I already replied to you here, I merged that thread with this one. It looks like you already answered some of the questions I asked - thanks! :)

It's strange that 1Password finds one of your sync bundles in Dropbox but not the other. You told us the name and location of the sync file for your main vault in Dropbox, which isn't found during the setup. I'm also curious about the one it does find (for your shared vault) - is that also a .agilekeychain bundle, or is it in the .opvault format?

One thing you can try is to delete and reinstall 1Password on your new iPad (which will reset it so you can go through the initial setup again). This time, try setting it up by creating a new vault, and choose the exact same master password you use for the Primary vault on your other devices (which I believe is the "main vault" in Dropbox you're trying to sync). Once you've created that, go to Settings > Sync > Primary and try to sync it with Dropbox. Does it find both of your sync bundles, or still just the one?

• raiden00
    raiden00
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

Hi @Drew_AG ,

The versions are shown in my comment above (basically the last available versions in everything at the time of posting).

The other devices I'm syncing are also mentioned in the post: two macs running OSX El Capitan, and an iPhone and a different iPad Pro than the one that is giving me trouble, both running the last version of iOS 10.

The new iPad was set up from scratch.

Yes, making changes or creating new logins propagates properly to all devices.

The only issue I'm having is that the new iPad set up from scratch cannot find my main vault (in the default Dropbox location). Note however that it does find properly my shared vault, which is in another location in my Dropbox account. Both vaults are in my Personal Dropbox account, which is the one that I'm using with 1Password. I do have an enterprise Dropbox account, but it is not used for 1Password at all.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @raiden00!

I think you and I may have been replying to each other at the same time, so you may not have seen that I posted a second response after finding your other thread (which I merged with this one). When you get a chance, please try my suggestion from that post to see if it helps, and let us know how it all goes. :)

• raiden00
    raiden00
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG

I tried setting up a new vault as you mentioned and trying to sync with Dropbox.

Again, only the shared vault is found.
    The shared vault is in an obscure location inside the Dropbox folder:
    "Carpetas Compartidas/bicho/1Password/Compartido.agilekeychain"

The main vault, which is never found, is at:
    "1Password/1Password.agilekeychain"

I have tried deleting and reinstalling both Dropbox and 1Password twice, but I always get the same results.

• LittleEngine
    LittleEngine
    Community Member

Same issue here with setting up on a new iPad. Other devices keep working fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@raiden00: Thanks for following up on this. It's definitely not good news that you're also having this problem on iOS 10, but that is helpful to know. I'm really sorry you're still having this issue, but we'll get to the bottom of it.

When you say "the main vault, which is never found", do you mean that you have other vaults, and that you're able to add those in 1Password?

@LittleEngine, @raiden00, @Aaron H.: Please try restarting your device, reproduce the same issue, setup 1Password with a new vault (and configure the log settings below*), try syncing with the same vault in Dropbox again, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening there:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

*In 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, enable App, Agile Keychain, Cloud Keychain, Dropbox, and Sync.

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and post your Support ID here so we can confirm that we've received it. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• raiden00
    raiden00
    Community Member

I just sent you the diagnostics report.

I restarted my iPad, deleted and reinstalled 1Password and tried again. Same outcome.
    I created a new vault. I turned on the diagnostics settings as instructed and tried to sync with Dropbox. Only my shared vault in the non-default location showed up. My main vault wasn't shown, and therefore I did not proceed.

Upon sending the report, I got an automated email back, but with no Support ID.

Thanks for the help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@raiden00: Thanks! Not sure why or how the Support ID would be stripped from the email, but I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: PKG-59857-728

• BobDyl
    BobDyl
    Community Member

I am having this exact same problem (and I also have two different vaults on my Dropbox). Brand new iPad Mini 4 running 10.3.2. Fresh installs of dropbox and 1password. No matter what I try, 1Password gives the error "NO VAULTS FOUND." in the Vaults dialog. Happy to help troubleshoot this, let me know how, I have no issues with 1Password / Dropbox sync on other devices, be it MacOS or Android.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BobDyl: In testing we've been able to reproduce this by having the vaults outside of 1Password's Dropbox Apps folder.

@BobDyl, @raiden00, @LittleEngine, @Aaron H.: If you have it here, it should work:

(Dropbox)/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault

While it seems that this does not work:

(Dropbox)/Some other folder/1Password.opvault

From the diagnostics we've seen, it appears that Dropbox is returning us zero results for vaults outside of (Dropbox)/Apps/1Password/. Please let us know if you're seeing something different!

• raiden00
    raiden00
    Community Member

Hi @brenty

I'm actually seeing something different.

My main vault is in:

(Dropbox)/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

This vault is NOT being found by 1Password.

My other vault is in:

(Dropbox)/Carpetas Compartidas/bicho/1Password/Compartido.agilekeychain

This one IS being found properly without problems.

As others report, I currently have multiple devices (2 macs, 1 iPad, 1 iPhone) syncing both these vaults without issues (I checked that they are actively being synchronized).

Note that my vaults end in .agilekeychain as opposed to .opvault

• BobDyl
    BobDyl
    Community Member

OK @brenty @raiden00 @LittleEngine @AaronH that did it, thank you for that. Further, for anyone trying to access multiple vaults, these paths worked as well to give you an option to choose a particular vault:
    Dropbox/Apps/1Password/Name1/1Password.agilekeychain
    Dropbox/Apps/1Password/Name2/1Password.agilekeychain

Best,
    Bob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

(Dropbox)/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain
    This vault is NOT being found by 1Password.

@raiden00: That's what I'd expect.

My other vault is in:
    (Dropbox)/Carpetas Compartidas/bicho/1Password/Compartido.agilekeychain
    This one IS being found properly without problems.

That confuses me. Thanks for clarifying.

As others report, I currently have multiple devices (2 macs, 1 iPad, 1 iPhone) syncing both these vaults without issues (I checked that they are actively being synchronized). Note that my vaults end in .agilekeychain as opposed to .opvault

I definitely noticed that, though I can't see why that wold make a difference to Dropbox, since we're asking them to enumerate both. Thanks for the additional information on this. We'll figure it out one way or another!

• raiden00
    raiden00
    Community Member

@brenty,

How do I move my main vault to that location?
    I assume that if I just move the folder in my computer 1Password will freakout in my both macs and iOS devices.

Is there a principled way to do it?
    Or will 1Password complain that it can't find the vault and ask me where I moved it to?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

@BobDyl: Thanks for the update! Glad that worked for you.

@raiden00: You may be able to get it the "missing" vault to work by moving it into (Dropbox)/Apps/1Password/, or deleting the existing vault being sync'd (your data is still on your devices) and then setting up Dropbox sync with a new vault using the same data (which will create it in 1Password's Dropbox Apps folder by default).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

How do I move my main vault to that location? I assume that if I just move the folder in my computer 1Password will freakout in my both macs and iOS devices. Is there a principled way to do it? Or will 1Password complain that it can't find the vault and ask me where I moved it to?

@raiden00: You can always reconnect it, but you're right that that could be annoying anyway. If you disable sync on each device first, you won't have to deal with anybody freaking out. :)

Just to clarify, I'd try these tactics in this order:

1. Move the existing vault to (Dropbox)/Apps/1Password/
    2. If that doesn't work, move the vault out of Dropbox completely (as a backup) and then have 1Password create a new one, which will be in the same location.
  • raiden00
    raiden00
    Community Member

@brenty
    That seemed to work.

In fact, it seems like 1Password will find vaults anywhere except for the "(Dropbox)/1Password/" folder..
    I mention this since I replicated my main vault in "(Dropbox)/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault" as instructed and it worked. But not only that, I moved the previous vault that couldn't be found to a "(Dropbox)/1pass_backup" folder and it was found perfectly fine there.

Things seem to be working fine now.

Thanks.

• LittleEngine
    LittleEngine
    Community Member

Right, can we have this working as it was before? My path is (Dropbox)/1Password.agilekeychain. Unless there's a good reason to move it and fiddle with all of the other devices (i.e. non-default path is better for security or something), I'd like to keep it at that location.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LittleEngine,

We're looking into why this is happening, and it might not be related to a specific location within Dropbox. It should definitely work where you currently have the sync file. We've found that moving it somewhere else and then back to the original location can help. If you have a Mac, please try these steps:

1. Open the main 1Password app on your Mac, then hold down the control key and go to 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the menu bar.
    2. Open the local Dropbox folder on your Mac and find the sync file for your vault (.agilekeychain or .opvault).
    3. Drag that sync file to the Desktop and allow Dropbox to complete sync.
    4. When Dropbox is done syncing, drag the sync file from the Desktop back to the Dropbox folder (you can put it in the same location as before).
    5. Allow Dropbox to completely upload the sync file.
    6. When it's ready, try again to sync with that file from 1Password on your iOS device.

Does it work this time?

• LittleEngine
    LittleEngine
    Community Member

@Drew_AG That worked perfectly. Thank you! I'm guessing that means that the issue is on Dropbox's side, i.e. old files aren't found when asked for? If it helps, I recently switched from a paid to a free version of Dropbox.

• Thanks for the update @LittleEngine! Glad to hear this is working now.

I'm guessing that means that the issue is on Dropbox's side, i.e. old files aren't found when asked for? If it helps, I recently switched from a paid to a free version of Dropbox.

We're still investigating why exactly this might be happening, but it isn't just you that has been affected by it. Hopefully we'll have a better answer soon. :)

Ben

• beedaan
    beedaan
    Community Member

I'm here because I was experiencing this issue and @brenty's solution fixed the problem. I had my vault in (Dropbox)/apps/1Password, and the app could not find it. I had to rename the directory to apps2/, then Apps/ because dropbox does not sync capitalization changes. Once the directory was capitalized, 1Password could find the directory.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know Brenty's suggestion was helpful for you! It doesn't matter to 1Password whether that folder starts with a capital or lowercase letter, but I think the reason that worked for you is similar to why moving the sync file out of Dropbox and then back in again seems to work.

Please let us know if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• MiltonVanderslice
    MiltonVanderslice
    Community Member

FYI - I had the same exact problem. New iPad 10.5 and couldn't find the vault at the root of my Dropbox folder. Moving it to an Apps folder solved the problem. I shouldn't have had to do that, but it worked. Thanks for keeping the full thread alive.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, it's really weird that Dropbox "forgets" about the vault until it's moved, but I'm glad that helped! :)

This discussion has been closed.