Can't import local vault data [Requires a valid 1Password.com account first]

burn123
burn123
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I understand that local vaults don't have support for editing yet, but I would like to import my local vault data to help beta test 1password 6. I imported my local data from 1password 4 a while ago, but since there is no local vault syncing yet, I want to re import my data to have all the updated logins. I am finding this not possible to do currently, and I was under the impression that you can at least import local vault data.

First, I tried just importing my data without removing my current data. I tried the 1PIF format, as well as just importing my 1password 4 vault, but neither of them did anything. The vault dropdown for which vault to import my data to was empty and I was unable to add anything, most likely because I don't have a 1password account. But my current read only account isn't technically in a vault, 1password called it a "folder", so surely it must be possible.

I then removed my current local data, and tried the same things again, but there is still no vaults for me to be able to import into or create. Now, I can't do anything because I don't have any data in the app, so all I get shown is the screen to sign up for a 1password account, which I don't want to do. In the settings, there is no option to import, so now it seems that it isn't possible for me to import anymore, because there is no button for that.

I thought local data could be imported just not modified, so I'm confused why this seems so hard/impossible? Can this be made more clear? It would be a shame if I was unable to continue beta testing 1password 6

1Password Version: 6.6.439
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited June 2017

Hi @burn123,

Thanks for writing in.

The short answer is that 1Password 6.6 won't be usable for local vault only users. It will require a valid 1Password account to import the local vault data.

As of 1Password 6.6, we no longer maintain support for adding new local vaults nor sync the existing ones. We are rebuilding the data model and sync systems in 1Password 6 to the point that the older unsupported local vault implementation is starting to cause a drain on our development resources, so we're going to remove it starting in 1Password 6.5, 6.6 and in the follow-up updates.

We rebuilt the Import feature in 1Password 6.5 to support migrating the local vault to your 1Password account, which was the original purpose of having read-only local vault, to copy them over to 1Password account. With 6.6, we rebuilt the data model but not completely yet because of the local vaults, so we're removing it.

We still want to add complete local vault support down the line but our priority remains polishing up 1Password 6 and 1Password.com first. If we do add local vaults, it is going to be a completely new implementation, not the current unsupported one.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

That would have been nice to know before I removed my data from the app. I feel that should have been made clear somewhere in the app, that I can't import local data anymore, because I thought I had read some somewhat recent forum posts saying it was still possible. So I can't even help beta test the app unless I get a subscription now?

• MikeT
    edited June 2017

Hi @burn123,

Sorry, we did mention it in the beta changelog when we've removed it but we could've made that persistent in follow-up beta updates, we'll keep this in mind next time. It is listed as an important notice in the stable changelog for 1Password 6.6.

If you really want to, you can still download the last build, 1Password 6.3, add local vault and update to 6.6, it'll be migrated but you won't be able to sync or import new changes.

So I can't even help beta test the app unless I get a subscription now?

That is correct, 1Password 6 can only work with subscriptions at the moment.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

Some sort of a notice in the import location would probably be a good idea as well

• Hi @burn123,

I'm not sure the value of doing that since you can't add a new local vault and you can't import without a valid 1Password account first.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

I was saying have some sort of notice that says "Local vaults can't be imported without a 1password account" if no local vaults are found

• MikeT
    edited June 2017

Hi @burn123,

Right but when you set up 1Password for the first time, you must add 1Password account first, you cannot import anything first.

We'll look into clarifying this in the app.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

Ok so then I guess it's only people who had the local vault before 1password 6.6 that it would affect

• Hi @burn123,

Correct. We will continue to migrate existing local vaults to newer updates but the interface is now continuously refined without it in mind.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

@MikeT How do I add a local vault in 1Password 6.5? I'm only met with the sign up for an account screen, and settings doesn't seem to have anywhere to add one

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

I ended up downloading 1Password 6.3.370 and was able to import my data

• Hi @burn123,

Good catch, I forgot we made the 1Password.com requirement in 6.4 before you can add a local vault. Thanks for updating this thread and I've updated my post.

This discussion has been closed.