To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Default vault in family account is called "Private" not "Personal"

notcygnus
notcygnus
Community Member

All your documentation talks about the initial, unchangeable vault as being called "Personal". I just created a Family account and the two vaults that were created are "Private" and "Shared". Did something change? Did I miss the documentation that says this? Is this Private vault identical the Personal vault described in your documentation?

Finally, as I have seen in some other threads, this does not initially make sense in that I want to rename it to be my name so I and other family members can readily distinguish. Given that it is not modifiable, are there any security implications to creating another vault with my name (David) and keeping all my data there and simply not using the default Private, or for that matter, Personal vault?

Signed,
Longtime user of 1Password Mac, Windows and iOS who is, reluctantly moving to Family 1Password account so I can efficiently share credentials with my spouse.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017

All your documentation talks about the initial, unchangeable vault as being called "Personal". I just created a Family account and the two vaults that were created are "Private" and "Shared". Did something change? Did I miss the documentation that says this? Is this Private vault identical the Personal vault described in your documentation?

@notcygnus: Sorry about the confusion there! It was called "Personal" for a long time, but it was too vague for many people and we're trying something new. The apps and documentation haven't all been fully updated yet, but we're working on it. Thanks for the feedback!

Finally, as I have seen in some other threads, this does not initially make sense in that I want to rename it to be my name so I and other family members can readily distinguish. Given that it is not modifiable, are there any security implications to creating another vault with my name (David) and keeping all my data there and simply not using the default Private, or for that matter, Personal vault?

Your own Personal/Private vault is not viewable by anyone but you, so there's no need to rename it to distinguish it from those of others in your family. They will only see their own, along with any vaults shared with them. You can certainly create additional vaults though, name them as you see fit, and give only yourself access to them if you wish, but any other Organizers in your family will be able to change the permissions. The Personal/Private vault is truly only ever accessible to you, and no one can change that.

Signed,
    Longtime user of 1Password Mac, Windows and iOS who is, reluctantly moving to Family 1Password account so I can efficiently share credentials with my spouse.

Thanks for your support! Please let us know if you or your loved ones need any help at all. We're here for you! :)

ref: b5-2608

• opuntia2
    opuntia2
    Community Member

I see that "personal" vault is still fairly common in the knowledge base :) https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-com/

I actually don't understand the reason for the private vault compared to just creating a new vault. Does a private vault offer anything over a created vault that only I can access?

Is there a Best Management Practice so to speak when it comes to this? Should the family account organizer stick to the private vault and not create a new one (as their initial/main vault)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I see that "personal" vault is still fairly common in the knowledge base :) https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-com/

@opuntia2: Indeed, a lot of people still have these. ;)

I actually don't understand the reason for the private vault compared to just creating a new vault. Does a private vault offer anything over a created vault that only I can access?

The Personal/Private vault is the only vault which is only ever accessible to you as an individual user; it cannot be shared with anyone else, and your access cannot be revoked.

Other vaults can be created and shared with anyone; it's just a matter of permissions. If you create a vault called "Mine" and only give yourself access, promoting another member of your family to Organizer would allow them to change "Mine" and make it "Ours", both literally by editing it, and also by changing who has access.

Is there a Best Management Practice so to speak when it comes to this? Should the family account organizer stick to the private vault and not create a new one (as their initial/main vault)?

While every family is different and we don't want to presume to tell you what's right for yours, hopefully my comments above help you make those decisions. And please let me know if you have other questions!

• opuntia2
    opuntia2
    Community Member

If you create a vault called "Mine" and only give yourself access, promoting another member of your family to Organizer would allow them to change "Mine" and make it "Ours", both literally by editing it, and also by changing who has access.>

Thanks, that sentence cleared it up for me. Does every family member that's added to the account get their own "private" vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

Thanks, that sentence cleared it up for me.

@opuntia2: You're welcome. I'm sorry that it isn't clearer on it's own. Changing the name to "Private" was done to help signal this better, though obviously if you're aware of both it can be confusing. We really didn't want to change existing "Personal" vaults to "Private" though, because to a lot of people that could appear that they lost their data.

Does every family member that's added to the account get their own "private" vault?

Exactly. :)

1Password.com has come a long way, but there's still room for improvement. The feedback is always appreciated! :)

This discussion has been closed.