History of generated password (1password mini, Chrome)

Options
megido
megido
Community Member
edited June 2017 in Mac

Hello, dear 1password fellows!

Recently I've installed some app (a wallet to keep Ethereum cryptocurrency locally) on my Mac. And I used 1Password mini Chrome extension to generate the password. Sequence of my actions was as following:
1. opened "Password generator" menu,
2. selected generated password by double-clicking on it,
3. pressed "command + C" basically to copy it.

But later I couldn't find it in the "Passwords" menu.

So right now my wallet with cryptocurrency funds is locked because I cannot send it anywhere :angry:

Now I'm wondering, is there a history of passwords generated through 1Password Mini Chrome extension? Maybe it's stored somewhere locally, in browser cache, some logs maybe.

I saw this post: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/81590/#Comment_81590

And the screenshot even shows perfectly what I'm looking for:

But I don't see the "History" tab now. Probably it was removed in one of the further releases, or something.

I would appreciate your help a lot!

Thanks in advance,
Alibek.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.6.90
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hi Alibek,

Thanks for writing in, I'm sorry for the trouble!

I see exactly what happened. By manually selecting and copying the generated password, the extension has no way of knowing that this password was the one you used, so no "Password" item was saved. If instead you fill the generated password, or click the "Copy" button (could be hidden under the down arrow beside it), then it will create a "Password" item for historical purposes, as it knows that this was the one you used. Similarly, the "History" section at the bottom of the generator will only show up if a "Password" history item was saved in the same circumstances as above.

Sadly no other history is stored, so I don't believe a copy of the password you generated can be found anywhere.

Is there any way to reset the password for that website?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @megido,

You mentioned looking here:

But later I couldn't find it in the "Passwords" menu.

You can also open the 1Password app and check the Passwords category for an item with your missing password.

Hopefully you'll spot it there even though you couldn't find it under the Passwords menu. And make sure to look in all your vaults if you've got more than one.

• megido
    megido
    Community Member
    Options

@Meek, @sjk, thanks for your responses. But this is a locally stored cryptocurrency wallet, and there is no way like on websites to reset the password :( so I think this is going to be a locked wallet with some in it...sigh.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @megido,

Have you checked the Passwords category in the main 1Password app, as sjk suggested? Or if you have multiple vaults, have you checked each vault? If you generated and copied the password while using a non-browser app, you won't see the 'History' menu when you go back to the Password Generator in 1Password mini, but it should still have been saved in a Password item.

You might also want to check the Trash in your vault in 1Password just in case you somehow accidentally deleted that item. That's a bit of a long shot, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Please let us know how it goes. :)

• megido
    megido
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG, thanks for your comment. I've everywhere possible :angry: not in trash, not in passwords, not in logins...checked on my iPhone, checked on 1password mini, checked on mac desktop app.
    Is there a possibility to check logs somehow? Really in bad situation :(

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @megido,

Sorry to hear you haven't had any luck finding the password! It wouldn't have been recorded in any logs. But I've been trying to come up with any ideas I can think of. This is another long shot, but if you happen to have multiple versions of 1Password on your Mac (like the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions), the password item would have been saved to one of them, and you might be looking in the wrong one. If you open the Applications folder on your Mac, do you see multiple 1Password apps in there? If so, open each one to see if you can find a Password item with that generated password.

Another idea I had is that, if a Password item was indeed saved in your vault, there's a possibility it was backed up. In the main 1Password app, go to File > Backup - this will create a new backup of your current data, and also open the Preferences > Backup window which will show you all the 1Password backups currently saved on your Mac. You can try restoring from a backup created on the day when you generated that password. Once you've restored, check to see if your password can be found anywhere in the vault (Passwords category, Logins, Trash, etc). You can restore from as many of those backups as you'd like. If you find the password in one of them, you can copy it somewhere else or export it to a .1pif file, then restore from your latest backup and copy/import that password back to your current vault.

If you still can't find it anywhere, is there any possibility you didn't correctly copy the password from the generator? For example, if you accidentally hit the wrong key when you tried to use the ⌘C shortcut, it wouldn't have copied, and therefore 1Password wouldn't have saved it in a Password item. In that case, if the password field in the other app is concealed, it wouldn't have been obvious that something other than the password (like whatever was in the clipboard at the time) was pasted there instead.

• megido
    megido
    Community Member
    Options

@ Drew_AG, I appreciate your efforts! It means a lot for me as a customer of such a great product!

So, I've restored to the date when I installed that app (a Ethereum wallet basically). Tried to look in passwords, logins and trash - no success.

Also I have only one instance of 1Password installed on my mac (not from the App store one, double-checked that).

And I'm 100% sure that I hit ⌘C, because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to insert something, right? And I remember I clicked the "show password" thingy, and it was identical with what I saw in password generator.

So, the challenge is becoming more and more complicated :/ not sure if solvable though..

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @megido,

And I'm 100% sure that I hit ⌘C, because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to insert something, right?

Well, if some other text was in the system clipboard at the time, it would have pasted that instead. I was thinking that if the password field where you pasted it was concealed, you might not have known that you pasted something other than the generated password. But it sounds like that's not the case:

And I remember I clicked the "show password" thingy, and it was identical with what I saw in password generator.

In that case, you're right - it definitely sounds like you copied the generated password. Even if you hadn't, that wouldn't have helped the current situation, but I was trying to think of a reason why the password wouldn't have been saved.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anywhere else to look for that password, and I don't know why it would be missing in the first place. Every time I test this on my own Mac, a new Password item is created as soon as I copy the password from the Password Generator in mini. Does that work if you try it again now? That won't help to recover the lost password, but if copying a password from the Password Generator doesn't result in a new Password item on your Mac, we can at least help to fix that so this won't happen again.

I'm really sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! :(

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @megido,

I don't have any promising leads or suggestions to follow I'm afraid but I did want to clarify a couple of things I've read in this thread so that you and others reading can know what to expect from 1Password.

By manually selecting and copying the generated password, the extension has no way of knowing that this password was the one you used, so no "Password" item was saved.

Meek is mistaken. It was true that prior to 1Password 5.3 we were not creating a Password item when somebody used the MacOS copy methods (menu and keyboard shortcut) but we corrected this in 5.3 to ensure consistent behaviour. No matter how you use the 1Password mini Password Generator, be it fill, copy via the Password Generator menu, the ⌘C shortcut or the copy menu option 1Password will generate a Password item that stores the value that was filled or copied.

The Password Generator history. This is only visible when viewing a web page in a browser with the 1Password Browser Extension installed. What it does is match Password items in your vault by domain to the open web page and uses the website field to do so. The website field is populated by the Password Generator and if used in a browser will represent the open page. If you use the Password Generator from another application it stores URIs, here is a Thunderbird example app://org.mozilla.thunderbird. In the case of other apps it will also title the Password item with the name of the application. The Password Generator's history feature though will not work with other applications so under normal circumstances this will mean you will need to view your vault or browser the Password category in 1Password mini.

Both of these would suggest that under normal circumstances that your generated passwords should be accessible and clearly this isn't the case. Sadly I can't explain what has happened. Drew has already been working with you and I can see you've been searching backups for both Password and Login items, which seems like a thorough search given Password items can be converted to Login items.

Like Drew I would be interested to learn, and most concerned, if you tested and found 1Password isn't generating new Password items when you copy a generated password.

Backups are generated as frequently as once a day if the vault differs from the previous backup. If an item was generated and deleted between backups there would be no evidence of its existence. It would require Trash was emptied though as there is no way to selectively purge items from 1Password's Trash.

Something else to potentially consider. Do you have more than one vault? 1Password does have a setting where you declare what vault is used for storing generated passwords and it can be set to something other than your primary vault or a vault visible in the All Vaults view. In fact I do this myself so that generated passwords aren't cluttering up my real vault. Could this be a possibility at all?

This discussion has been closed.