Resolution scaling needs some improvements

kop48
kop48
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hey folks,

It would be awesome if the Windows app could render sharper assets on higher resolution screens, rather than be aliased. It's subtle for sure, but it makes it much more pleasant to use the app on larger monitors. :)

Here's a comparison between rendering in Chrome:

Versus the app:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kop48: I agree. I'm not seeing anything like that here myself, so there's probably something different about your setup which we're not accounting for. Can you tell me the resolution and scaling factor you're using?

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

My primary monitor is 1440p with a desktop scaling of 125%

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

@kop48: Ah, gotcha. Thanks for getting back to me! Yeah, we don't yet have a good "middle ground", which is what you've got there with a lower DPI and some upscaling. We get this "for free" with UWP, but the desktop app has to support Windows 7 and 8.1 as well, so it gets a bit tricky. This is something we'll be improving in future updates. Thanks for the feedback! :)

ref: OPW6-1079

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kop48: However, I think I may have misunderstood your original post. Both screenshots look fuzzy. I think the difference you're seeing between the two is that the text is a slightly different size and the icons used in 1Password 6 are not only smaller but different. If you switch to 100% do they both look "right" to you again? And then if you took a screenshot and scaled it back up to 125%, it should look roughly the same as what you're showing here.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

@kop48 - Just to add to Brenty's post, I also use a 1440p monitor with desktop scaling of 125%, and I'm not seeing any fuzziness in text in the 1Password 6 app - it looks pin sharp to me.

I tried to recreate the fuzzy text you're seeing in 1Password 6, and I could only do so by enabling system scaling in 1Password properties (see attached pic). Or do you use any apps that change this dpi value for other apps? From my own experience, I know that 1440p is a bit of a strange resolution to get working right.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

I don't have anything special enabled in the app properties, though I see that my file dialog box is heavily aliased, suggesting a bug in Windows itself.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kop48 - Just to add to Brenty's post, I also use a 1440p monitor with desktop scaling of 125%, and I'm not seeing any fuzziness in text in the 1Password 6 app - it looks pin sharp to me.

@pbryanw: Thanks for the sanity check on this. :)

I tried to recreate the fuzzy text you're seeing in 1Password 6, and I could only do so by enabling system scaling in 1Password properties (see attached pic). Or do you use any apps that change this dpi value for other apps? From my own experience, I know that 1440p is a bit of a strange resolution to get working right.

Yeah I seem to recall running into a similar issue in the past, but can't even remember which machine that was on, much less the OS or if it affected 1Password. :unamused:

I don't have anything special enabled in the app properties, though I see that my file dialog box is heavily aliased, suggesting a bug in Windows itself.

@kop48: Huh. That is weird. Which version of Windows are you running? It was also suggested that this could happen if you have an outdated version of .Net installed. Checking the version is pretty futile, but version 4.7 was released earlier this month:

Announcing the .NET Framework 4.7 (Microsoft)

Otherwise it might be worth resetting your display to the Windows recommended resolution and 100% scaling to see if things behave normally there, and then when you make a change it should be clearer what the cause is if things get fuzzy again. Let me know how it turns out!

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

I'm running the Windows Insider build, so I'm following up on whether there's a bug across all non-UWP apps. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Aha! Good to know. I know we've got some folks running that too, so we'll see if this is affecting them the same way. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Just wanted to follow up here as I've done some digging and asking around. So far I haven't found anyone seeing the same display issue, but there are some settings you could check to see if they make a difference:

I wonder also if it could be an issue with display drivers, which may not be compatible with the Insider release (if such a thing is even possible). Just a thought. :)

This discussion has been closed.