1Password is not filling login info in the right place

stefanodottori
stefanodottori
Community Member
edited June 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi guys

When i visit the Waze Suggestion Box or Waze user voice and try to use the 1Password Extension on Safari, the extension doesn't fill the login info in the right place.

Instead to fill my email in the login part, it fills in the post your idea

As shown on this image

And when i click the link to login and try to use the 1Password extension doesn't work and i need to copy and paste the info in the login page

What i should do ?

1Password Version: 6.7 Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: macOS 10.12.5
Sync Type: 1Password Accounts

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stefanodottori,

Thanks for reporting this. I had similar results when filling on the https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223-waze-suggestion-box page - the email address from a test Login item landed in the Enter your idea field (where I've replaced the personal email in your image with email@example.com).

Are you able to have any success using the https://waze.uservoice.com/signin page to sign in? Seems troublesome there as well, although I haven't had opportunity to do more through troubleshooting. @littlebobbytables might be able to have a look when he's around later.

• stefanodottori
    stefanodottori
    Community Member

@sjk

Thanks for reporting this. I had similar results when filling on the https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223-waze-suggestion-box page - the email address from a test Login item landed in the Enter your idea field (where I've replaced the personal email in your image with email@example.com).

Thanks for that

Are you able to have any success using the https://waze.uservoice.com/signin page to sign in? Seems troublesome there as well, although I haven't had opportunity to do more through troubleshooting. @littlebobbytables might be able to have a look when he's around later.

Nope, i have to manually click the link and then fill my login info on this website
    I'm going to add this link you wrote on my 1Password in your message and i get back to you if it worked or not
    Thanks

The link i use to login in Waze Suggestion Box in not the same that you wrote in your second message, the link that 1Password saved for me is this :
    https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223-waze-suggestion-box

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stefanodottori,

I haven't heard of Waze before and I'm finding their site not entirely intuitive. So before I can start offering recommendations can you help me understand the site a little better please.

1. How would you navigate to their registration page?
    2. Do you have a password set? Not normally a question we'd ask but this site is very odd in that a password is optional.
    3. If you normally attempt to log into this site at https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223-waze-suggestion-box do you click the sign in button before you try to log in?

If I create a Login on the page @sjk suggested (https://waze.uservoice.com/signin) and use that to log in it seems to fill correctly. Submit after filling won't work for a couple of reasons. We don't submit unless we fill a password field and the site also seems to require the enter key to be pressed twice, the first to parse the field and change the button to sign in and a second to submit the form.

The https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223-waze-suggestion-box page has so many username and password fields I'm almost not surprised 1Password gets confused if it has to rely on its generic strategies. If I save a Login item on that page it does fill the correct field but the site has triggers that result in the log in form being hidden as we fill. The field fills and remains filled but the form has to be made visible again to complete logging in.

Overall it seems an unusual design, one where I'm struggling to envisage a smooth log in process due to how the various pages behave. We should be able to create a Login item that fills though.

• stefanodottori
    stefanodottori
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables

How would you navigate to their registration page?

Normally I would click the link:
    new and returning user must sign in

Do you have a password set? Not normally a question we'd ask but this site is very odd in that a password is optional.

I do have a password set for this site, i used the same link to fill my login info in this site and saved on 1Password

If you normally attempt to log into this site at https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223-waze-suggestion-box do you click the sign in button before you try to log in?

Normally i don't , i use the 1Password extension to fill for me, but it doesn't work so i have to click to sign in and fill my login info manually

The https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223-waze-suggestion-box page has so many username and password fields I'm almost not surprised 1Password gets confused if it has to rely on its generic strategies. If I save a Login item on that page it does fill the correct field but the site has triggers that result in the log in form being hidden as we fill. The field fills and remains filled but the form has to be made visible again to complete logging in.

I get it, i'm going to change the site on my 1Password to login from the site that @sjk have putted in his message, apparently the site i have in my 1Password is too generic so to speak, to 1Password can filled my login info correctly

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

It looks like the reason for this is because during the field collection phase something triggers the email field in the top right to hide. As a result, when 1Password inspects it, the field appears to be out of view. Here's an example:

This is the field in its 1Password representation on the way to the native application for processing in the form filling library. Since the other email field is both viewable and visible (These sound similar but I hope you'll trust me that they're different enough to be important.1 :smile:) By default 1Password prefers to fill into fields that are viewable and not merely visible. In this case, that is the suggestion title:

I'm not saying that this is correct behavior; I'm just trying to explain what 1Password's logic is in determining which field to fill with the username. If 1Password were to fill the correct email field (Setting aside how it would figure out which of the 42 <input type="email" name="email"> fields is the correct one since the only distinction is a seemingly random numeric suffix appended to each one's id like id="email_1234"…) which is now non-viewable, to your eye, 1Password would have failed because you could not see any fields having been filled.

This is something we need to work on on a couple of fronts. First, we need to figure out what in our field collection script is causing this change of viewability. That should be a fairly straightforward bit of investigation.

Beyond that would be to better track and understand behavior of elements on the page. This one is tricky to get right and super easy to get wrong. For instance, in this case, the element that makes the field non-viewable is actually a parent element:

And elements come and go on the page all the time in response to any number of triggers. So, this one needs a lot of thought and careful consideration and testing before we can have anything ready to release to actual users.

This viewability checking enables us in most cases to properly handle things like registration and sign in forms being on the same page but with their availability to the user toggled by Javascript. In this case, it seems to be at least part of the problem.

The other thing we could do is consider some adjustment to our logic. In this case, we're choosing to fill an email field into a text field instead of an email field because it is viewable. It is conceivable that there would be a site where 1Password should do this because there are multiple implementations of the sign in form, one where the type of email is used and one where it is just a plain text field. 1Password would rightfully be expected to properly fill both incarnations. But in this case, it is actually a downfall.

Finally, we can do better at handling well constructed forms. In the past, many sites were poorly constructed, either purposefully or not, and this meant that 1Password relaxed its reliance on the semantic <form> element. In some cases, this is still warranted, but we're starting to see more situations like this one where the site is providing us loads of information by being good web programmers and we are not availing ourselves of it. This is something we need to change. We should not punish folks that are building web pages the right way because of the worst kinds of web programming we have seen. But that being said, we should not allow 1Password users that happen to use some of those poorly constructed pages to suffer, so we need to find a way to balance between the two.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you right now, but I hope this gives some insight into what's happening and why and shows that we are actively thinking about these kinds of issues to continue providing a big tent of form filling capabilities in 1Password.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

1. If you're really keen to learn about the difference, this post has a good explanation. ↩︎

• stefanodottori
    stefanodottori
    Community Member

@jxpx777 No Problem

Thanks for your detailed answer about why 1Password can't fill my login info correctly in this specific page

I already changed the website the 1Password uses to login in Waze Uservoice

Cheers

• stefanodottori
    stefanodottori
    Community Member

@jxpx777 I just tried to login in the login that @sjk provided and it worked perfectly

@littlebobbytables Thanks for helping me with my problem

You guys are awesome

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

That's very kind of you! I'm sorry we weren't able to get the homepage working for you yet, but that is the lovely thing about working on the browser extensions and form filling; there is always lots left to do. :)

This discussion has been closed.