1Password sometimes is minimized on start

burn123
burn123
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Sometimes, usually the first time I start 1Password after boot (I don't have it set to autostart as I am using 1password 4), the app will start minimized in the task. After I unlock it, this no longer occurs, but I was wondering if this was a bug or something out of your control?

1Password Version: 6.6.439
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @burn123,

Thanks for reporting this.

How are you starting 1Password for the first time? We intentionally start it minimized in certain conditions like opening via the 1Password extension since you want 1Password mini to show up, not the main interface.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

I am double clicking on the desktop icon

• Hi @burn123,

Do you minimize 1Password before you close it? 1Password 6.6 is storing the last state used, so even starting 1Password from the desktop can be in minimized state if you last closed it as minimized.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

Ok it does follow the setting it had the last time it was open, but I think that if 1Password is locked and minimized, and it is closed, then it should still open not minimized, because it still needs to be logged into to be able to do anything. But that's just my opinion.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback on this. It's something we'll have to consider. I think a good argument can be made either way, so it may be a case where we need more feedback from others to get a sense for what most users expect. Cheers! :)

• MikeT
    edited June 2017

Hi @burn123,

I do agree that if you force the app by starting it via start menu or the desktop, it should focus the main window, rather than minimizing to the notification area based on the previous last state. We need to add more logic to the program's state restoration process to see if we can make a few exceptions.

What we see often is that most folks use 1Password mini first and often than the main program, as they often use 1Password in their web browser. 1Password mini and 1Password program are the one and the same, so minimizing it to the notification area by default works great when you have the app set to auto-start upon reboot. However, when you don't, it's a bit more difficult to determine what you want to do.

ref: OPW-1248

This discussion has been closed.