Failed to delete files during auto-update

Smudge
Smudge
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

During the automatic update this morning, I received multiple error dialogs stating it was unable to delete files due to access permissions.

An error occurred while trying to replace the existing file:
DeleteFile failed; code 5.
Access is denied.

I am running as an admin and 1P is installed into my user profile AppData directory (C:\Users\smudge\AppData\Local\1Password\app\6) where I have full rights.

I first saw the error when it was attempting to replace the System.ValueTuple.dll file and was given the options of Abort/Retry/Ignore. I first tried Retry and it failed again so I chose Ignore. It continued on but failed again on the websocket-sharp.dll file. I verified the permissions and my access rights but all were set properly. I then scanned for file access locks on the file and found that the AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe process was still using that file. I did not have the 1P app running except for the system tray icon which is launched during Windows login.

I think it was running 6.6.405d when it started the update. The remaining/failed files have a build date of 4/15/2017.
The 1P app now reports 6.6.406d and the files have a build date of 4/21/2017.

Even though some files failed to update, the "Check for Update" button reports I'm up to date. I will manually rerun the beta installer again without 1P running at all so that all the files are properly updated.

1Password Version: 6.6.406d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro
Sync Type: 1Password.com Team

Comments

• Hi @Smudge,

Thanks for reporting this.

Were your browsers running at that time? The installer is supposed to shut down the main process but if one of your web browsers was running with Native Messaging enabled, it can cause the main process to run again quickly. We do have a delay message to inform the 1Password extension not to do this for 20 seconds but if it took longer to finish the setup for a reason, you may run into this error loop.

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member

@MikeT No browsers were running at that time. I've seen the 1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe process in the list before but not during this update. The AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe was the only 1P related process.

I have installed the beta again so I probably can't reproduce it or give you much more information. This is probably just a one time issue that you should be aware of in case it happens again.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We'll be sure to keep an eye out for this ourselves. Hopefully you won't run into further issues, but if you do let us know!

• brockvond
    brockvond
    Community Member

this is a problem I have as well. both the files; I am admin... Windows 10... tried to auto update... then the uninstaller did not not remove these files...

problem was they were locked by my MalwareBytes AV.

I closed that, deleted the files... installed update... everything is great.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brockvond: Thanks for letting us know! Previously Malwarebytes was interfering with browsing integration so we've been keeping an eye on that. Did it give any indication of why it was locking those files?

• MikeT
    edited June 2017

Hi @brockvond,

I've been testing MalwareBytes for a few days and could not reproduce its interference with 1Password update process.

Can you tell me if there's anything non-standard about your MalwareBytes setup and/or how did you know the files were locked by MalwareBytes AV?

• brockvond
    brockvond
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

@brenty & @MikeT no... I checked the status of the files using ioBit's Unlocker... just said AMB had them locked... once i quit AMB they could be removed... and the update could be installed. There's nothing abnormal about my AMB... i have all the protections on, it's a pay version... nothing special.

• @brockvond, so there was no indication from MalwareBytes itself that it was doing it or nothing in the logs?

Would you be willing to help us work with MalwareBytes to see what they can do?

• Hi @brockvond,

MalwareBytes has reached out to us and asked if they can grab the log file from you if or when you reproduce this issue.

Here's how: compress/zip the following file: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\MBAMSERVICE.LOG (there may be archived logs by date, compress the logs from the days of the issue) and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com.

• brockvond
    brockvond
    Community Member

@MikeT not a problem at all... i guess next update? or maybe I'll try to update the same version and see what happens? thoughts on best way to reproduce other than doing a reinstall of the same version?

• Hi @brockvond,

The quicker we can address this, the better for everyone. This affects 1Password 4 as well, so we're trying to give them all of the information they can get.

You can find the previous 1Password 6.5 version here.

I would recommend making a copy of your 1Password database before doing anything by zipping up the data folder in your %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password directory.

• brockvond
    brockvond
    Community Member

Ok, I'll do this tonight, @MikeT - thanks for the info.

• You're welcome and thanks for your help!

• brockvond
    brockvond
    Community Member

@MikeT i mean tonight... lol

• MikeT
    edited July 2017

:smile: Any time, no rush.

• Hi @brockvond and @smudge,

Are you guys still seeing this issue, we need your help reproducing this issue, so MalwareBytes team can get better logs to narrow down the issue.

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member

I have not had the issue happen since the initial report.

• brockvond
    brockvond
    Community Member

@MikeT I keep forgetting about this... sorry... been busy. I was able to update to the most recent version of 1Pass but I will try to recreate the issue this weekend.

• Hi guys,

@Smudge, that's great to hear.

@brockvond, thanks! When you are able to reproduce the error, don't dismiss it right off the bat. MalwareBytes has requested that you try this when you get that error in 1Password, here's what they've asked.

Step A – FRST

Please download and run FRST. FRST will help provide me with a list of installed programs and other information about your computer that will help me see if there are any other problems that are not being detected.

Please refer to KB article, How to run the Farbar Recovery and Scan Tool (FRST).

Step B – MB-Check

In addition to running FRST I will need you to run our diagnostic tool MB-Check.

Please refer to KB article, How to run MB3-Check.

If you have followed all of the instructions a zip file will be created on your desktop called "mb-check-results.zip" and it will contain all of the needed files and logs, including the FRST logs, in order to troubleshoot this problem.

Email me the zip files at support+windows@agilebits.com and I'll relay it to them.

This discussion has been closed.