To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1password6 didn't update

TDK1044
TDK1044
Community Member

I changed a password in 1password.com, and in the past, as soon as I opened the 1password6 app, it updated within a few seconds. This time, it didn't update after several minutes. I closed it and opened it again to no avail. In the end, I manually updated it. The change updated fine on my iphone though? I do have the latest version of the 1password6 app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

I'm wondering about the same thing. I'm running your paid subscription in order to get 1Password on my Windows devices. I have a MacBook Air, iPhone, iPad, and 2 Windows computers. I seem to remember an update to 1Password a day or two ago. On my MacBook Air it shows version 6.7. I just changed an entry and it hasn't updated to my other devices. I think although I'm not sure, that I'm using "dropbox" for syncing. While I'm not sure, I think all devices were synced a few days ago.

Is there a way to manually sync 1Password between devices?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I changed a password in 1password.com, and in the past, as soon as I opened the 1password6 app, it updated within a few seconds.

@TDK1044: Do you mean you're not seeing changes on one device reflected on the others?

This time, it didn't update after several minutes. I closed it and opened it again to no avail. In the end, I manually updated it. The change updated fine on my iphone though? I do have the latest version of the 1password6 app.

Can you tell me what you mean by "manually updated it"? Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, are you using the exact same setup on all of your devices? If you have more than one local vault and/or 1Password.com accounts that could confuse things for you. Thanks in advance! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm wondering about the same thing. I'm running your paid subscription in order to get 1Password on my Windows devices. I have a MacBook Air, iPhone, iPad, and 2 Windows computers. I seem to remember an update to 1Password a day or two ago. On my MacBook Air it shows version 6.7. I just changed an entry and it hasn't updated to my other devices. I think although I'm not sure, that I'm using "dropbox" for syncing. While I'm not sure, I think all devices were synced a few days ago. Is there a way to manually sync 1Password between devices?

@Starflyer: I definitely have similar questions for you. Local vaults you have setup to sync with Dropbox are completely separate from a 1Password.com account. In that case, 1Password will not be syncing your data, Dropbox will. And you'll need to make sure you have each device syncing with the same vault in Dropbox. One of the main benefits of a 1Password.com membership is not having to configure these things, but you do need to have your data in your account, and be signed in to it on each device to be able to access it.

So, are you using a 1Password.com account, or syncing local vaults with Dropbox, or both? Be sure to include the OS and 1Password versions you're using as well, otherwise we're flying blind. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member

I made a change on 1password.com. I saw the change immediately on my 1password i-phone app, but not in 1password6 version 6.6.439 After waiting for 1password6 to update, I eventually just went in and made the same change mannually within 1password6 and saved the change. The OS is Windows 7, and the previous version of 1password 6 worked fine.

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member

I just performed a test, and the syncing is fine if both 1password.com and 1password6 are open at the same time. It didn't sync when 1password6 was opened after the change was made in 1password.com and 1password.com was closed.

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

@Starflyer: I definitely have similar questions for you. Local vaults you have setup to sync with Dropbox are completely separate from a 1Password.com account. In that case, 1Password will not be syncing your data, Dropbox will. And you'll need to make sure you have each device syncing with the same vault in Dropbox. One of the main benefits of a 1Password.com membership is not having to configure these things, but you do need to have your data in your account, and be signed in to it on each device to be able to access it.

So, are you using a 1Password.com account, or syncing local vaults with Dropbox, or both? Be sure to include the OS and 1Password versions you're using as well, otherwise we're flying blind. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

Apparently, since I went on your monthly plan to include my Windows computers, I've had a hard time syncing between my accounts. I thought I was using "DropBox", but I just found out I wasn't. So a few minutes ago I selected "DropBox" for syncing and it seems to be successful. The ONLY device I have that seems to allow a syncing option is on my iPhone where I see a choice of DropBox, WLAN iClouc. I selected DropBox and it appears that all my devices are now synced.

However, I'm a tad uncomfortable with using Dropbox for my passwords and would rather use WLAN which I think I may try to go back to.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I made a change on 1password.com. I saw the change immediately on my 1password i-phone app, but not in 1password6 version 6.6.439 After waiting for 1password6 to update, I eventually just went in and made the same change mannually within 1password6 and saved the change. The OS is Windows 7, and the previous version of 1password 6 worked fine.

@TDK1044: Ah, thank you for clarifying! :)

I just performed a test, and the syncing is fine if both 1password.com and 1password6 are open at the same time. It didn't sync when 1password6 was opened after the change was made in 1password.com and 1password.com was closed.

Which "1Password 6"? Mac? iOS? If it helps, 1Password for iOS must be open to sync any changes in either direction, as iOS allows only limited background activity for a limited time under certain circumstances. So, for example, if you're using the 1Password iOS extension, it won't reflect changes made on another device until you've opened 1Password so it could receive them. Is that what you're seeing? Otherwise, you should definitely look at your vault setup on each device (1Password Preferences/Settings > All Vaults) to verify that you have them setup the same way. Let me know what you find!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Apparently, since I went on your monthly plan to include my Windows computers, I've had a hard time syncing between my accounts. I thought I was using "DropBox", but I just found out I wasn't. So a few minutes ago I selected "DropBox" for syncing and it seems to be successful. The ONLY device I have that seems to allow a syncing option is on my iPhone where I see a choice of DropBox, WLAN iClouc. I selected DropBox and it appears that all my devices are now synced.

@Starflyer: Thanks for clarifying! With a 1Password.com membership, there is no sync setup. None of that is necessary in that case. You simply sign in to your 1Password.com account on each device to access your data:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

It sounds like you have either some or all of your data in local vaults on your devices, and in that case you're not utilizing your 1Password.com account. Once you migrate your data, you'll be able to access it through the 1Password.com website, and on any device you setup with your account. Let me know if you have any questions!

However, I'm a tad uncomfortable with using Dropbox for my passwords and would rather use WLAN which I think I may try to go back to.

While you certainly can, I wouldn't. You'd be giving up a lot of convenience for no security benefit. Your data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. And a 1Password.com account has the added benefit of the Secret Key, which is also used to encrypt your data (in addition to your Master Password). Just something to consider. Cheers! :)

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member

OK....I uninstalled the Windows version of 1password6 version 6.6.439 and then downloaded and installed it again. It now functions as expected.

• Thanks for the update, @TDK1044! Glad to hear you were able to find a solution here.

Ben

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member

I should have started with uninstall it and download it again, Ben. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.