Cannot add new items in 1Password 6 [Local vaults are not fully supported yet]

This discussion was created from comments split from: Can't Add New Item.

Comments

• Dirkos
    Dirkos
    Community Member

I'm not able to create a new item, the + button is available but nothing happens when clicking it.
    Running Windows 10 Pro with 1Password 6.1.296d

Is this the latest version? As I got a message to update it to this version earlier today.
    The + button works fine on my iphone.

Thanks,

Dirkos

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dirkos: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app does not yet support local vaults. It is only possible to create or edit items in a 1Password Account. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• hugodes
    hugodes
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

Hi,
    Is there a plan to fix this issue ?
    thanks,

Hugo

• Hi @hugodes,

Thanks for writing in and yes, absolutely. We will add full local vault support soon to 1Password 6 but we don't have a timeframe on it yet, it is near the top of our list to implement soon.

Right now, 1Password 6 is limited to 1Password.com customers.

If you need write support for the local vaults, you can use 1Password 4 instead.

• hugodes
    hugodes
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply :)

• You're welcome. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

• jag
    jag
    Community Member

I don't understand what is the difference between a 1password account and the app? What is the point of the app if I cannot add entries? How can I access the account on a Windows? I just switched to Windows and the quality of this app compared to the Mac version is quite sad. Why would you make the Mac version so slick and this one looks outdated? In addition when I added this to my Windows computer it duplicated my accounts.

• mtpultz
    mtpultz
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

Bit confused as well. I was using the old version, updated to the new version, and now can't add any new items??? I was thinking it was worth a bit per month even though I already had a license in v4, but this is a pretty major feature to be missing. Your minimum viable product should contain this ability otherwise you actually don't have a product. Why would I pay for a service like this now?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't understand what is the difference between a 1password account and the app?

@jag: A 1Password Account is for the 1Password.com subscription service which hosts all of your data. The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app connects to this so you can access your data.

What is the point of the app if I cannot add entries?

You can add entries to a 1Password.com vault. Only local vaults are read-only.

How can I access the account on a Windows?

Either through 1Password.com or using the 1Password 6 Windows desktop app.

I just switched to Windows and the quality of this app compared to the Mac version is quite sad. Why would you make the Mac version so slick and this one looks outdated? In addition when I added this to my Windows computer it duplicated my accounts.

It sounds like you copied all of you items from your original local vault to your 1Password.com Account, so that you've got a copy of each item in both places, and therefore when you view All Vaults it will show you two of each. Is that correct? If you're going to be using the 1Password.com Account going forward, you can easily remove the local vault and no longer have double. Let me know what you think!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Bit confused as well. I was using the old version, updated to the new version, and now can't add any new items??? I was thinking it was worth a bit per month even though I already had a license in v4, but this is a pretty major feature to be missing. Your minimum viable product should contain this ability otherwise you actually don't have a product. Why would I pay for a service like this now?

@mtpultz: It does support this. If you're trying to make changes to a local vault though, this will not work in the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app. If you'd prefer to continue using local vaults and sync the data yourself, you should use 1Password 4. However, 1Password 6 supports 1Password.com Accounts already, so you can make changes there if you'd rather use the subscription service to access your data on all of your devices. Let me know if this helps!

• jag
    jag
    Community Member

I am not understanding what you mean. Please give exact instructions on how I can add a new entry to the Windows app.
    Also please give me exact instructions on how to delete the duplicate vault that was created.

• mircolino
    mircolino
    Community Member

Local vaults include dropbox. So basically the only way to use 1Password 6 is to pay the monthly subscription.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mircolino: You can use it with local vaults as read-only, but only 1Password.com Accounts have full support currently (create, edit, delete, etc.) 1Password 4 already supports local vaults fully.

@jag: Local vaults are used by the standalone 1Password apps, and are stored only on a single device unless you setup sync (Dropbox, etc.); whereas 1Password Accounts use vaults stored on 1Password.com, and can be accessed on each device simply by logging into the account — no sync configuration required.

To delete any local vault from 1Password 6, just go to Settings > Accounts & Vaults > (vault name) > Remove. And you can add new items to any vault in your 1Password.com Account by clicking "+ New Item" or pressing Ctrl N. I hope this helps! :)

• jag
    jag
    Community Member

There is apparently something I am not getting. I have Dropbox sync set up. I used this app for a long time on my mac without a hitch I just switched to a PC and now I cannot add a new entry. I am still waiting to hear from you how to do this. Your instructions of clicking "+ New Item" or pressing Ctrl N within the app did not work. I am at a loss and confused.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

There is apparently something I am not getting. I have Dropbox sync set up.

@jag: Right. As discussed in this thread, the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app does not support local vaults, sync'd with Dropbox or otherwise, only 1Password.com Accounts. You cannot add, edit, or remove data in a vault using this app unless it is part of the 1Password.com subscription service.

I used this app for a long time on my mac without a hitch I just switched to a PC and now I cannot add a new entry. I am still waiting to hear from you how to do this. Your instructions of clicking "+ New Item" or pressing Ctrl N within the app did not work. I am at a loss and confused.

If you purchased 1Password of Windows along with 1Password for Mac (which you said you've been using previously), you'll have a license for version 4 (which you can download from our update site). We don't sell licenses for version 6 yet since it doesn't yet support local vaults fully, so there's no need to use the new app unless you're using the subscription service.

That's why the New Item button and keyboard shortcut won't work if you're using data in a local vault. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

• You can download 1Password 4 for Windows here: https://agilebits.com/downloads

This is the version you want to use with your Dropbox sync setup.

• jag
    jag
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

I have my license for Mac, but Windows won't accept my Mac license it says. My order number is [Edited: Do not include order number here]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jag: Indeed, a 1Password for Mac license won't work with 1Password for Windows. If you purchased only the Mac version (rather than the bundle), the Windows version is a separate purchase. But we're happy to offer you a discount in that case. Just shoot us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com with a copy of your receipt and we'll take care of you. And if you post the Support ID you receive here, I'll track it down and get back to you sooner. :)

• jag
    jag
    Community Member

Thank you. I sent please check

• Hi @jag,

I don't see any email from you, did you get an auto-reply from BitBot? If yes, please include the support ID from it here, so we can look for it.

• jag
    jag
    Community Member

yes I did support ID is [#QRE-83399-474]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jag: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll get back to you shortly! :)

ref: QRE-83399-474

• okazakov
    okazakov
    Community Member

I have to say... You couldn't have hidden this in UI any better even if you tried guys. You've got to be kidding me!
    This has resulted in enormous loss of time for me!
    I have got a new Windows laptop and I didn't realize that this was a new version of 1Password I installed... I still can't believe this. I was pulling my hair out trying to understand now I managed to screw up this setup that I cannot make changes in my vault.
    And there is not a slightest hint in the UI, no pop-up not red error message, just a tooltip on the Edit button?
    I can't even express how angree this made me... I feel like 1Password have completely dropped the ball now. 1Password existed for Windows for years now, yet hardly any improvements have been made. And now that there is new version, it forces me into the cloud vault...

• Hi @okazakov,

Thanks for writing in.

I'm sorry we've upset you. It is not our intentions to hide this, 1Password 6 is a new program from scratch, we simply never took the time to implement a warning that it is designed for 1Password.com service at the moment and support for local vaults are coming in the near future. 1Password 6 is not being offered as an upgrade to 1Password 4 either, it is only mentioned to 1Password.com customers and to new customers not using local vaults.

1Password 4 remains the latest version for local vault users at the moment while we continue to build 1Password 6 to include support for everything, including local vaults later. We do recommend trying 1Password.com with 1Password 6 if you can but if not, the 1Password 4 is on the same downloads page as 1Password 6, below the blue button.

• okazakov
    okazakov
    Community Member

Hi Mike.

Once I figured out what was causing the issue, I re-installed the version 4 and everything is back to normal (sigh of relief).

It was figuring out what was wrong, combined with not being able to work effectively at a pretty critical times that I'm in right now, that proven to be a hirrible user experience.
    I am convinced that a new version that is so incomplete and lacking appropriate communication to the customers anywhere shouldn't have been a major download link on the website. It should rather swap places with version 4 link. E.g. v4 should be the big button link and v6 should be the small link below, with clear indication that only the cloud vaults are supported.

As for the cloud vault idea, well, with all the mass surveilance and breaking in by various agencies, not to mention hackers, there is no way I'm putting my passwords in your cloud.
    I cant even see or control what you do with all the info I put in.
    We've already seen one of the major password manager's cloud store compromised and passwords leaked. No you seem to be keen to follow the lead. Not going to mention the names here - I'm sure you know who/what I'm talking about.
    I can at least inspect my local vault and see all the info is indeed encrypted and I have control over where it is stored. Once moved into the cloud, there is no one to check upon what you people are doing.
    Not even going to try. Thanks for the offer though.

Kind regards,
    Oleg.

• MikeT
    edited February 2017

Hi @okazakov,

Doing it that way would result into the same problem, 1Password.com customers not able to log in because 1Password 4 doesn't support it and we have seen many cases of this. We're not going to change it back to 1Password 4 on 1Password.com but it is the default download on AgileBits.com, just not on 1Password.com. We will try to make it more clear which version you need on both sites. The end goal is 1Password 6 will handle both local vaults and/or 1Password.com subscription, so this confusion will go away soon.

I understand your concerns. I would like to point out that our code and service have been security-audited by at least three separate external security teams and we have a technical security white paper documenting everything we do, not to mention we've been in this business for more than a decade. We have not been compromised a single time but you're right to want total control. Everyone has their own requirements and not every tool will meet it.

• sebrk
    sebrk
    Community Member

Any news on this? Today I got an update for 1Password 6 but I still cannot choose a local vault it seems. So I'm stuck here with macOS and iOS syncing perfectly fine but on Windows 10 it is just a drag. This is critical. I cannot but think that you are intentionally delaying this so people start paying for a subscription.

Thing is, I already paid TWICE for 1Password. I have absolutely no reason to use a hosted solution. I'm perfectly happy with, and will continue to use my own hosted vaults. If this is 1Password or some competitor remains to be seen but I'm starting to lose my patience.

• karimm
    karimm
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Dear developers,
    I'm your customer for a very long time...
    already bought 1P for all platforms (iOS, Mac, Win, Android).

what do you mean under:

https://support.1password.com/pro-features/

This topic started in November 16!!!!
    but there is no any information till now
    It's look like that you specially made windows application with "defect", without ability to create new or edit items.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@karimm: You seem to have taken a screenshot of the Pro Features FAQ, which, as indicated there, applies to 1Password for iOS. So that isn't pertinent to this Windows discussion.

The 1Password 6 Windows desktop app is a brand new app which has never supported local vaults except as read-only for purposes importing. As such, we do not sell licenses for it (since it would be useless to a customer using local vaults). You can create and edit items in a 1Password.com account, as we've built support for that from the start, since this could not be added to 1Password 4 and otherwise there would be no native app for that on Windows.

• karimm
    karimm
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Thank you for the fast reply
    @brenty what was ment under "the Pro features in 1Password 6 for iOS on another device" what other device?

And @MikeT wrote:

From time to time I need to move items from one walet to another. (this is the only reason why I need 1P 6 on my PC)
    For that I have to use Mac, with licenced 1P 6, and it works fine without ANY limitations.

Why do you use different rules for Mac and PC users?
    As far as I remember, 1P v4 licence for Mac and PC was at the same price.

Regards,
    Karim

This discussion has been closed.