Apple app specific passwords

SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel
Community Member

I have a number of apps that now require an app specific password to sync with iCloud. No problem creating or using them, but I'm puzzled on the best way to keep them in 1P. Should I create a separate item for each one, or is there a way to have one item that will allow me to keep adding the app/password as I need to? I'm not generating the passwords via 1P, I just want to keep track of them; preferably in one place where i can copy/paste as needed. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

@SecretSquirrel: Heya! I hope you don't mind, but I've moved this discussion to the Lounge category since it seems like more of a philosophical 1Password thing than specific to a certain platform — but please let me know if I'm mistaken there. I'm a bit unsure of exactly what you're asking, but I'm sure if we get the ball rolling we can get meet in the middle.

If you're just talking about a good way to store app-specific passwords for iCloud (I think this also applies to a few others — Google?), I've always just stored these in my Apple ID login. But now that you mention it, my method of dumping them in the Notes section leaves a bit to be desired. I just haven't needed to bother with them enough to care before, but you make a really good point about convenience. So with that in mind, it seems to me that custom fields would be great for this. For example:

My fake iCloud login
    Username: iforgot
    Password: •••••••••••••

App-specific passwords (new section I created just for these)
    Fantastical: ••••••••••••• (custom fields for each)

What do you think? :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome! I'm glad that was a helpful suggestion. We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.