Entering non alpha numeric codes

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited July 2017 in Lounge

How does anyone enter non alpha numeric codes into 1Password? It is possible from what I've seen but don't know how?

From the 1Password Demo Sample :

Konami
↑↓↓←→←→BA

Comments

• Hi @wkleem,

The same methods that work to enter these sorts of characters in other applications carry over to 1Password. How exactly it is done depends on what platform you're using, but a quick search may be helpful in determining that:

e.x. A search for "type special characters mac" on DuckDuckGo reveals How to type accents, emoji, and symbols on your Mac - Apple Support as the first result.

:)

Ben

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

And beware - non-alphanumeric characters can have different codes on different OSs, even though they appear the same on screen. So you might think you are typing the correct character of your password but not actually be doing so.

This matters for the Master Password, but I am not sure if it matters for individual passwords.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@danco,

Not for master password, but I wonder how it's done and since I am on iOS a lot now and there are potential security issues with the third party keyboards. I haven't installed any third party keyboards on my iPhone.

I am looking at a new device to purchase within 6 months though!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

And beware - non-alphanumeric characters can have different codes on different OSs, even though they appear the same on screen. So you might think you are typing the correct character of your password but not actually be doing so. This matters for the Master Password, but I am not sure if it matters for individual passwords.

@danco: Ah, I hadn't thought that's what he meant, but good call. Definitely worth mentioning either way in case it helps others avoid the pitfalls of using special characters in their password. :) :+1:

Not for master password, but I wonder how it's done and since I am on iOS a lot now and there are potential security issues with the third party keyboards. I haven't installed any third party keyboards on my iPhone. I am looking at a new device to purchase within 6 months though!

@wkleem: Not crazy about 3rd party keyboards myself, as they seem to me to have terrible performance for some reason. Not sure if Glyphboard still works but you could give it a try. I used to use that a lot back in the day. You can probably find a lot of native iOS apps like this in the App Store as well. And while many of them are a bit junky, they at least don't pose a security risk and are easy to remove.

Nowadays I have TextExpander snippets for the ones I use frequently, and occasionally I'll look one up on Wikipedia or a site that lists Unicode character sets. Not a particularly slick workflow, but it gets the job done, I think so. :)

This discussion has been closed.