New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Comments

• Stefan Schmidt
    Stefan Schmidt
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

Just a +1 but let me say i am watching this thread since very early on and now that my home iMac has died of old age and i switched to an Intel NUC running elementary os (ubuntu) as a stop gap until a new iMac comes around.

While the workaround using the subscription website works copy and pasting passwords by hand simply does not provide the same flawless user experience i have become accustomed to with the Chrome plugin on OSX.

So one more plea for having the choice of Linux with 1Password.

edit: oh yes, beta test welcome.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! Yeah, I prefer "stock" Ubuntu since I tried it when it was first released, but Elementary is pretty slick. I'd love to have a 1Password app to use on either, but I make do with the web interface. :)

• polira
    polira
    Community Member

Another +1 for Linux support here.

• wires
    wires
    Community Member

Hello!

I want to support you guys because 1password is a great app for OSX, but I need a linux version; macOS is becoming an increasingly terrible OS, full of spyware. I switched to linux on https://puri.sm laptop. You are losing customers because you don't provide a linux version... just saying! For instance Enpass provides a crossplatform application, but it's more limited. However features < crossplatform in the password management situation.

Cheers

• We'd love to have better support for Linux, and hopefully that is something we can have in the future. :)

For now the 1Password.com web interface will give you access to view & edit your items on Linux, it just doesn't have the ability to integrate with the browser extensions unfortunately.

Ben

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member

I will add my support for a linux version. I had to switch from Windows to Ubuntu Desktop 16.04LTS at work after changing roles. The web interface works great for me. But, I am relying on Enpass for autofill capabilities.

This is not a complaint, just a vote. I know that your priorities have to be placed with the bulk of your customers and linux is a long shot.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I wouldn't say it's a long shot, only that we don't have the bandwidth to take on building a full featured native app for a new platform at this time. But we'd love to be able to use 1Password to fill on our Linux machines too. Hopefully we'll be able to make that dram a reality in time. :)

• Jochemdeen
    Jochemdeen
    Community Member

Just another vote for linux support. :-)

For now I'm using the web interface which works fine, but an autofill-app would be awesome! :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad you're finding the web interface useful at least. Thanks for letting us know you'd like native support on Linux! :)

• Wow! This is the most amazing thread we've ever had on our forums by far – 39 pages of requests for Linux support! It's truly amazing and I thank everyone here for their passion for Linux and their love of 1Password. Thank you!

Today I am incredibly happy to announce that we have a present for you and I'm pretty sure you're going to love it as much as I do. We're still in very early stages of private alpha testing so I can't share any screenshots or anything like that just yet, but I can tell you that we have something awesome coming and if you'd like you can join our alpha team.

This isn't going to be for everyone (at least not yet), but if you love being on the bleeding edge, please email us at linux@1password.com and include your forum username as well as your email you are using with your 1Password Membership and we'll get invite you to the private alpha.

Thanks again for your passion and patience everyone!

<3

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@dteare just emailed you from my email I use my family membership with. I can't wait!!!

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member

Done! Yes!!!

• Thanks for signing up! I was hoping you would :)

• rek2
    rek2
    Community Member

email sent!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

@rek2: Sorry about that, I forgot to post a reply to your forum post yesterday. Although I did catch up on some much-needed sleep! As you know by now - I sent you a reply! 8-)

• peterakkies
    peterakkies
    Community Member

How great to hear that there's a Linux thing going on! I hope it ends up being a proper Linux client. :D

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We'll have to see how things develop (pun intended). ;)

• rs_saunders
    rs_saunders
    Community Member

I've just emailed to be part of the private alpha. Looking forward to it! :chuffed:

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@rs_saunders: Awesome! I just sent you a reply.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• rs_saunders
    rs_saunders
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

I'll be looking over it all in the morning :-)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@rs_saunders: Sounds good! I hope you have a pleasant week. :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• berto
    berto
    Community Member

@dteare: i'm hoping i can get on this train. Just sent you an email! Thanks!

• vdweij
    vdweij
    Community Member

Ditto. Just sent an email.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@berto and @vdwj: Awesome, I'll take a look and you'll see a reply today! :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• berto
    berto
    Community Member

8-) :)

• :+1: :)

Ben

• k4ch0
    k4ch0
    Community Member

@dteare email sent!!

Thanks!!

• Awesome! It's great to have you onboard! :)

• Jochemdeen
    Jochemdeen
    Community Member

I only just saw the announcement! Great news!

I sent an email. I'm happy to contribute to alpha/beta tests :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great, we'll get back to you shortly! :)

This discussion has been closed.