Looking for my 1Password serial to enter for v3.8.22 on old machine, followed instructions given

Opening old computer all 1Password entries were gone. Prepared export file on new computer but being asked pw upon entry into old I do not have that. Please help!

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 3.8.22
OS Version: 10.7.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Looking for my 1Password serial to enter for v3.8.22 on old machine

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @berndjesse,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the old and new versions of 1Password!

Can you please elaborate on what you're trying to do, the steps you take on both Macs, and exactly what happens on each one? If I understand your description, it sounds like you have 1Password 3 installed on an old Mac, but don't see your data when you open it. When you say the "entries were gone", do you mean the list of items was empty? Or did the app act as if you had never used it before and took you through some sort of setup procedure? Or something else?

Do you also have 1Password 3 installed on your new Mac? How did you prepare an export file, what version of 1Password (and which Mac) did you use to do that, and what kind of file did that create? Do you have all your 1Password data on your newer Mac, or are you trying to move that data from the old Mac to the new one?

The more details you can give us about what's happening on your end, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• berndjesse
    berndjesse
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Well, I thought I answered most of your questions in the first part of my mail which suffered a strange fate but appeared to have been sent. To make it short, I followed instructions, after finding out that there were no more entries ( the list of items was empty) on my old Mac (os x 10.7.5). I prepared a list of items for import on my new mac with no hitch (xy.dtBase2 & 1Password 2017-07-05, 04_58 PM (143 items and 0 folders).1pif), but upon entry of xy.dtBase2 into the old computer I was asked for the code (would not know why since it's been installed for a long time. However, I can't be too sure about things since I've been absent for more than 6 months) for 1PW 3 which I cannot find. So my hope is now to obtain this code from you so I may import my entries from the new mac and hopefully keep both computers in sync. BTW, on my new computer (os x 10.12.5) I run 1PW 6.7.1. Cheers, Bernd

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@berndjesse: I'm not seeing any recent emails from you, only these two forum posts.

I'm not sure what "xy.dtBase2" is or what code you're referring to specifically. While we may be able to help you find you license if you purchased 1Password directly from us (shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here), if you mean the password to your data, we never have this and cannot recover it or reset it for you.

If you'll let us know more about what you're trying to do we'll see what the best option is and help you get things sorted out.

• berndjesse
    berndjesse
    Community Member

Well, sorry for choosing the wrong file and the wrong words here! I copied "xy.dtBase2" into my mail by mistake, should have been "data.1pif", of course. Repeating said procedure just now I am clearly advised that my old license is for a trial version and thus limited to 20 items only.

So that should be at the root of this. Happily, I did find that 13 items have indeed been randomly selected from the list of 143 for import and are available to me on the old mac now. Would you kindly tell me how to select 20 favorite items on my new mac, import and keep them in sync on my old mac? Thanks and Cheers, Bernd

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well, sorry for choosing the wrong file and the wrong words here! I copied "xy.dtBase2" into my mail by mistake, should have been "data.1pif", of course. Repeating said procedure just now I am clearly advised that my old license is for a trial version and thus limited to 20 items only.

@berndjesse: Ah, okay. No problem! Thanks for clarifying. :chuffed:

So that should be at the root of this. Happily, I did find that 13 items have indeed been randomly selected from the list of 143 for import and are available to me on the old mac now. Would you kindly tell me how to select 20 favorite items on my new mac, import and keep them in sync on my old mac? Thanks and Cheers, Bernd

It seems like there may be a few fundamental problems here. I think you're right that at least part of the problem is the license. If you don't have a license for the version you're trying to use, that's really not going to be viable. I'm sorry if I'm being a bit dense here, but are you trying to use 1Password on the old Mac going forward? If so, that's not going to be a good situation, especially if you're trying to keep the data in sync with a newer Mac. I can give you a few suggestions, but keep in mind that you will be swimming upstream here:

1. First and foremost, if you can upgrade, please do so so you can take advantage of improvements in 1Password, macOS, and browsers.
    2. Failing that, if you have purchased a license for the current version of 1Password for Mac, shoot us an email with your receipt so we can get you one for the older version.
    3. Backup your data regularly, as you may run into compatibility issues — or your old Mac may just die while its out of warranty.
    4. Do not make changes to your 1Password data with the old version if you're syncing it (this would need to be done using Dropbox) with a newer version of 1Password.

You'll run into similar issues with trying to import a 1PIF from the new version into the old, so it would be better to simply setup Dropbox sync with an AgileKeychain vault in the new version and then open that in the old version to access the data there. It isn't possible to sync only 20 items in a vault. You'd need to create a separate vault with only those 20 items if that's all you want to sync with the other computer.

• berndjesse
    berndjesse
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

brenty,

here's my purchase from the app store which I wanted for isync:

[purchase information removed by AgileBits staff — this is a public forum]

My old Mac is a MacBook 13" Early 2008 (SSD inside). This is a spare machine I intend to continue using for old SW, i.e. FMP, InDesign, Scanning; so this will only occasionally import changed PWs from the new machine but never advance beyond what is there, just keep up with the changes. If necessary, I'll do this manually.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@berndjesse: Glad I saw this right away! I've removed your purchase information from your post, as this is a public support forum. But that included all the information I needed, so I've generated an AgileBits Store license for you and sent that already via email. There will be a 1Password 3 license key there which you can use on your old Mac.

I really appreciate you clarifying what you're trying to do, since I can give you easy instructions on how to get things setup:

1. In 1Password 6 on your newer Mac, go to Help > Tools and turn off "Enable OPVault". This will allow it to create an AgileKeychain vault instead which 1Password 3 will be able to read.
    2. Setup Dropbox sync in 1Password 6 (Preferences > Sync) for the vault you want to share with your old Mac.
    3. Make sure you have the latest version of Dropbox install on each Mac, and let it finish syncing on both.
    4. In 1Password 3 on your old Mac, go to Preferences > General and select "Choose Another" to open the vault you sync'd from 1Password 6 on your newer Mac.
    5. You can use 1Password 3 to access the data there, but the browser integration will not work with recent browser releases...and whatever you do don't add or edit anything in 1Password 3.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• berndjesse
    berndjesse
    Community Member

Thanks brenty,

sorry for the mishap! I'll proceed and follow your instructions, sounds easy … enjoy your WE, Bernd

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No problem! Just don't want anyone grabbing any of your personal details, even just your email address, as I think we all get enough spam already. We're here if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.