What to do when 1password doesn't recognize a login page to be saved?

mpix
mpix
Community Member

Hi,

how can I force 1password to save a login page when it doesn't ask me to save it?

I manually added the login item on 1password but still it works partially because the login fields aren't named "username" and "password" but instead "USER" and "PIN" and thus 1password doesn't correctly fill in the data.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.6.439
Extension Version: 4.6.7.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1password account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mpix: Often pressing Enter to submit the form will be enough to trigger 1Password to offer to save it. I'd definitely give that a try. Otherwise it will be necessary to create the login by hand in the main app. But more importantly, if you'll tell us the URL we'll be happy to test it to see if we can improve this in the future. :)

• mpix
    mpix
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

enter didn't work as expected.

I created the login by hand but looks like there's no way I can tell to fill in the "PIN" number with the password data.

The URL is the following: https://clienti.chebanca.it/ (it's a bank login)

Thanks!

• Hi @mpix,

When you said manually, do you mean creating it in the main 1Password app or using the Save New Login feature in 1Password mini?

Try filling the data in on the website and then click on 1Password icon in your browser, then click on the Settings (gear) icon on the bottom left of 1Password mini to select Save new Login, it should then save it correctly for you.

• mpix
    mpix
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT

thanks for your reply - indeed I didn't try with the gear icon - save new Login. Doing this way 1password automatically save the right fields.

However when I try to reload the webpage and ask 1password to fill-in the data, the fields are not being filled by 1password :-(

• MikeT
    edited July 2017

Hi @mpix,

It is filling for me with testing data. How are you trying to ask 1Password to fill, with the keyboard shortcut or clicking on 1Password icon?

If the latter, did it show the new Login item?

• mpix
    mpix
    Community Member

Ok, so, I deleted the entry, then restarted Chrome, saved again the new item, restarted Chrome (to be sure) and tried with keyboard shortcut and it worked.

Then I edited the entry adding a Note in the "Notes" field, saved it, tried again and the auto-fill doesn't work anymore

• mpix
    mpix
    Community Member

Tried again, this time just clicking on "Edit" and then "Save" from 1password app, without changing anything.

If you don't do this, then the auto-fill works, if you edit and save then the auto-fill will not work anymore

• MikeT
    edited July 2017

Hi @mpix,

That is very interesting, I can reproduce it.

It has to do with the way the form is designed on that page. After saving it as a new Login item, there is no username or password fields saved either. So, as soon as you edit the item, we automatically add the empty username field for you to add later. This empty field is what causing the 1Password extension not to fill in properly.

We'll look into a solution for this.

ref: OPW6-1267

• mpix
    mpix
    Community Member

I suppose this is something to be fixed, correct? :)

Looks like there's no username and password fields on the webpage, thus 1password save USER/PIN fields the first time. Then when you edit it, this change will automatically add username and password fields internally and they get the higher priority than the previous html form fields. This way 1password doesn't recognize anymore the fields and doesn't fill in them.

Correct?

• MikeT
    edited July 2017

Hi @mpix,

Yes, it is something we want to improve on, first by making sure editing the item doesn't change the designations. I'll explain more below.

We don't know yet how it will be fixed because that site itself has an unusual design, especially for a bank. At the very least, the PIN should be set as a password field. There are no username or password fields on that page at all. That cause our filling algorithms to be very confused.

When you save a Login item, the 1Password extension determines which fields are the username/password fields, so that it can set it as the designed fields to be filled next time.

In this specific case, the 1Password extension didn't set it, it just doesn't know. So, when you edit the item in 1Password 6 for Windows, it created these internal fields but also set them as the designed username/password fields. That's why the extension no longer fills in what you had before. We should not change the designations if there are existing web form details (regardless of designations).

We are going to allow you to edit the web form details in a future update, so you could modify them correctly. So, yes there will be improvements.

• mpix
    mpix
    Community Member

Thanks a lot, fantastic answer! that's why I'm paying for this product, not just for the product itself but for the wonderful team behind it :)

• You're welcome! If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

• mpix
    mpix
    Community Member

Hi, any news regarding this issue OPW6-1267? It's a bit annoying...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

@mpix: We've got some other things on our plate currently. It is something we want to improve in 1Password in principle though, and it's still on our list to improve item editing in general, and eliminate edge cases like this. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you, but I don't want to give you false hope that this will be a quick fix. Thanks for your patience. :(

• mpix
    mpix
    Community Member

Looks like not even with 1password 7 I will be able to manage my bank login yet... :( That's really annoying...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The good news is that version 7.0 isn't the end; it's only the beginning. If we can find a way to work around this issue on this particular website, we'll address it in a future update. :)

• mpix
    mpix
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I see the problem of this specific webpage, but I'm not referring to that. I understand it's difficult to fix.

Anyway, why if there are existing web form details and I edit them, you're going to automatically change the designations? This is indeed a bug.

I see your answer, but I'm a customer like everybody else, paying for 1password subscription. I just can't see why this sarcasm behind this answer.

Thanks anyway

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mpix: I honestly cannot see what I said that could be interpreted as sarcasm. You asked for a status update, and I was truthful with you about the current situation. Please don't read any more into it than that. I'm sincerely sorry that I don't have the news you're looking for right now, but I've asked the team to follow up with you when there's something available to test. I just don't have any way of knowing when that might be.

ref: OPW-1267

This discussion has been closed.