Suggestion: Set focus on password textbox when launching 1Password application: prevents keylogging

I have a suggestion for the 1Password on Windows application:
Please set focus on the password textbox immediately when launching 1Password.
Sometime I start typing my password and then I don't see any characters in the password box...
Which could mean the focus is still on a different application.
Anyway, I have to grab my mouse, click on the password entry field and then I can start typing again...
Not a smooth flow.

best regards,
Teun

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:suggestions

Comments

• Hi @RedFeet,

Thanks for writing in.

This would be a bug since we already have implemented this from the very beginning and I cannot reproduce this for either 1Password 4 or 6.

Can you first tell me what version of 1Password you're using and how are you opening 1Password?

• RedFeet
    RedFeet
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

I encounter this problem on 3 instances on 2 PC's:

• 1Password 6 (built 6.6.493d) on Windows 7
    • 1Password 6 (built 6.6.493d) on Windows 10
    • 1Password Chrome extension on Windows 10

Can you reproduce it with these steps?
    1. After having used 1Password, minimize it (don't close).
    2. Activate Hybernate/Sleep mode (f.i. by closing your laptop's screen)
    3. Awake Windows (and login). Click on the 1Password icon in the taskbar.
    4. 1Password shows it's grey background with only the password textbox.
    5. On Windows 10 the cursor is blinking in the entry field (on Windows 7 it isn't).
    6. Although the cursor is blinking in the password textbox, when I start typing no characters appear in the entry field / textbox.
    7. When I click my mouse pointer on the textbox, it finally gets real focus, because then my typing appears in the textbox.

1. Open Chrome: click on the 1Password icon
    2. Although the cursor is blinking in the password textbox, when I start typing no characters appear in the entry field / textbox.
    3. When I click my mouse pointer on the textbox, it finally gets real focus, because then my typing appears in the textbox.

Hopefully this post will help you reproduce it, so developers can be convinced to fix it.

Cheers,
    Teun

• RedFeet
    RedFeet
    Community Member

Mike,

I just tried it once again on my Windows 10 pc. And this time it got focus. But on the Chrome extension and on Windows 7 I could reproduce it multiple times (all times I tried).
    Another (minor) thing is that on Windows 7 in the password textbox, the font type is Times Roman, which isn't used anywhere else in the 1Password software I use.

Thanks,
    Teun

• p3k4y5
    p3k4y5
    Community Member

I have this exact problem too.

I've been a 1Password for Mac user for many years and I switched to 1Password4 for Windows late 2016. I've never had any problems with 1Password grabbing focus as soon as it is "clicked".

However since moving to 1Password for Windows 6.6 it seems to frequently happen that the focus is not grabbed when I either:

• Click the Chrome extension
    • Open 1Password from the taskbar

This has led to me typing my password into some webforms and search bars numerous times, which surely is not good for security!

The steps to reproduce are very simple, I just click the browser extension and start to type to unlock, only to find that the address bar has focus.

I'm using

• Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    • 1Password 6.6.439d
  • MikeT
    edited July 2017

Hi guys,

I think I know what it may be, does it often happen after auto-lock kicks in? Sleeping/awaking it would trigger the auto-lock, this may be the cause. I can reproduce it for the main window only but not 1Password mini yet but we're still investigating this.

For the moment, can you confirm if you use Control + Alt + \ to bring up 1Password mini, it is focusing correctly?

ref: OPW6-1263

• p3k4y5
    p3k4y5
    Community Member

Actually for me it is not focussing correctly...

the 1Password mini app pops up but it does not seem to have focus, instead something behind the app seems to have focus as when I press a key a menu appears which is actually from 1Password 4, even though 1Password4 is not running and there was never any 1Password mini available for 1Password4!!

I have uninstalled 1Password 4 and now Control + Alt + \ gets focus correctly.

• Hi @p3k4y5,

Okay, that makes sense, both helpers (1Password Helper in 1Password 4 and 1Password mini in 1Password 6) have the same system shortcut, so they both respond at the same time.

@redfeet, I assume you don't have 1Password 4 installed at all, right?

• p3k4y5
    p3k4y5
    Community Member

@MikeT the chrome helper bug is still actually there for me.

Right now I just clicked the 1Password extension and the cursor is in the 1Password box and flashing, yet when I start typing no text is entered into it - I can't obviously see where the text is going :|

I've had to click the password box and then it grabbed focus

• MikeT
    edited July 2017

I understand, I just need to make sure both of you can bring up 1Password mini with the shortcut correctly, so that we can eliminate any other external factors. Right now, no one on our team can reproduce this on various dozens of machines, which means we need to figure out what you guys have in common.

Here's the core of the issue:

1. When clicking on 1Password icon, the focus goes to Chrome, not 1Password. When you use the shortcut, you're focusing the 1Password mini itself and it works consistently.
    2. Windows does not like the idea of an invisible program popping up in front and stealing focus, it has a long list of requirements.
    3. When you click on 1Password icon in Chrome, we have to bring up 1Password mini from the background and focus it by sending in a fake click onto it, so it is as if you've clicked on 1Password mini, not Chrome. However, this is very fragile because anything that interferes with this can prevent the focusing from working correctly. Like 1Password 4 Helper popping up alongside 1Password 6 mini at the same time, they both have the same tricks to focus themselves.
  • p3k4y5
    p3k4y5
    Community Member

@MikeT Thanks for that.

I'll see if I can find some reliable steps to reproduce.

In the meantime I've noticed that with the CTRL+ALT+\ shortcut, the focus is fine, but once unlocked 1Password Mini disappears!

• Hi @p3k4y5,

That is definitely not normal, this is what you should be seeing:

Can you email us your system configuration file to us at support+windows@agilebits.com and include the link to this thread along with your forum username. This configuration file will show the list of installed programs, running tasks, general system configuration information but no private/sensitive information is stored in there. The only potential issue is if one of your programs (not 1Password) leaks sensitive information in the Windows error logs.

• RedFeet
    RedFeet
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay in my reaction.

I found out I surely do have the problem of the password entry textbox 1Password not getting focus after clicking it's instance in the task bar after awaking Windows from hybernation/sleep mode, both on Windows 7 as well as on Windows 10!

To answer your question:
    On Windows 7:
    Clicking ctrl+\ or ctrl+alt+\ doesn't bring up any program on my Windows 7 pc (well actually it's an old Mac Pro with Bootcamp). But I do remember that the keyboard shortcut 1Password used to use to bring up the mini version (I never use the shortcut, I always click on the 1Password Chrome Extension icon) was another key combination before (crtl + '+'), which I have disabled or changed into a different combination because ctrl + '+' is a combination I use often in Adobe Photoshop (=zoom in). (This symptom underscribes your thesis, but do read on)

On my Windows 10 (yes it's a 'real' pc, an HP) clicking ctrl+alt+'\' brings up 1Password Mini (with focus on the password textbox), but when I click on the 1Password icon in the taskbar, the larger version of 1Passwords opens without focus on the password textbox.

The PC is some months old and as 'bloated' like the 2011 Windows 7 on the Mac, where I've installed dozens of programs over the years.

I hope this helps...

Best regards,
    Teun

• Hi @RedFeet,

Thanks. We have narrowed it down to when it is minimized to the taskbar, sleeping isn't required either. Any time you unlock and minimize the main window, it'll have this issue when it auto-locks. We're looking into fix, various attempts has been made but nothing worked yet.

We're still not able to reproduce the issue for when you click on 1Password icon in Chrome but we are working on it.

• RedFeet
    RedFeet
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

I also found out that the lack of focus sometimes happens when my PC hasn't been in sleep mode. I was about to inform you about that. It is not a consistent issue: sometimes the password textbox does get focus, but I can't find out what the distinction is.

As I try now, the password textbox of the big window did get focus this time, but when I click on the small Chrome Extension icon, the mini window has a blinking text cursor, but when I type, the characters appear right in this textbox where I'm typing this post to you.... meanwhile the password textbox of 1Password chrome extension keeps blinking...

Can you reproduce the Chrome Extension issue with these steps?
    1. Open a Chrome browser window
    2. Open a web page like the current one (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/379360#Comment_379360) and click on a textarea on the web page.
    3. Click on the Chrome Extension icon (the chrome extension version of 1Password is being displayed now with a blinking cursor)
    4. Start typing... The characters don't show up in the 1Password password field but in the textarea of the web page...

• p3k4y5
    p3k4y5
    Community Member

@RedFeet ha brilliant steps to reproduce there!

I get exactly that result, the characters are in the textarea and not in 1Password!

• Hi guys,

I am not able to reproduce it on any of my machines but here's a GIF of what I'm doing, am I missing anything:

• p3k4y5
    p3k4y5
    Community Member

The bug is not happening for me now!

It was again this morning (UK time) and it also did it when I tried to log into my ISP website earlier. But now I try to reproduce it again and I can't!

It feels to me like it's related to some kind of script that is still running on the page when you hit the 1Password plugin.

• Hi @p3k4y5,

It feels to me like it's related to some kind of script that is still running on the page when you hit the 1Password plugin.

Do you have other extensions in Chrome beside 1Password? Can you try creating a new profile in Chrome without any extensions beside 1Password installed and see if you can reproduce it?

• willypimpernel
    willypimpernel
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

I also have this problem. Sometimes when I right-click to access the 1-password context menu, the mini UI will pop up without focusing the password box. If I then fill it in, the mini UI disappears after I've successfully typed in the password. I have to right-click and open again to get it to show me my passwords.

I'm fairly sure this is related to auto-locking, but I never minimise anything.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! I think we may be closer to understanding what's causing this. The additional details are appreciated.

• forumusername
    forumusername
    Community Member

I still have this issue on the 4.6.2.6262 client. This is happening on 4 different PCs. Win7 SP1, Win 8.1, and 2x Win 10 Pro v1709. I have the client minimized/closed to task bar and after autolock on timer (no sleep/hibernatinon), when I first click the icon in the taskbar, the focus is not on the master password field.

Is this still be investigated?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@forumusername -- 1Password 4 for Windows is at this point considered legacy software. It is still the current version IF you are using 1Password for Windows with standalone (local) data, but due to its age and the push towards 1Password 7 for Windows (which will allow both local data and 1password.com accounts), we are not investigating anything to do with 1Password 4 for Windows right now, unless it's a critical security issue. I wish I had a better idea of when you might see 1Password 7, because we're quite aware of how long 1Password 4 for Windows has been in rotation...but we're not ready to announce anything on that score just yet.

This discussion has been closed.