Why do documents in Families only allow click to download instead click to open and print?

Grunt_at_the_Point
Grunt_at_the_Point
Community Member

First, basic information. I have the stand-a-lone version of 1Password for mac v. 6.7 and 1Password Mini in Safari browser. I am on the 30 trial with your Families version. I've created a vault which I intend to assign to a family member. I have about 40 various items in that family vault, some with PDF attachments. Everything works well except those items that have documents assigned. As stated in my question the documents will not open for view or print but instead click to download. From the download folder the items will open. The documents do open from the Mini and the stand-a-alone. Am I doing something wrong? I searched the forum but could not find this exact problem. Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Grunt_at_the_Point,

I'm sorry... I'm having a bit of trouble following what you're asking here.

There's an important difference between Attachments in standalone vaults and Documents in 1Password.com. Documents are download-on-demand which makes sync much faster and means you don't need to waste space on all devices for files that you don't need there. This is important since we now allow much larger files to be added to a vault. So the first step is to download the file. Once it's downloaded though, Documents should be as convenient as Attachments, so that's where you're losing me. Can you elaborate on what you're seeing (if possible a screenshot would be great) and what you're expecting?

Thanks

Rick

• Grunt_at_the_Point
    Grunt_at_the_Point
    Community Member

Sorry for the confusion. I live in Georgia and its hot and my A/C is broken and I am sweating my Bs off.

"Documents are download-on-demand which makes sync much faster and means you don't need to waste space on all devices for files that you don't need there." Okay, I understand and it makes sense to handle file management that way.

Let me explain this way. In 1Password.com I have created a Secure note. I linked an attachment from documents in 1Password.com to this Secure Note. Underneath the document icon in the secure note it says click to download. I click to download. The file is sent to the download folder in Finder where I can open it. In other words, I must leave the 1Password.com window to open the file in Finder. This step is repeated each time I wish to view the attachment.

One would think when I click to download the file would download to the secure note where it remains and not need downloading again. Is that clearer?

• Ahh... that's much clearer. Thanks @Grunt_at_the_Point. I made a bad assumption here... I was assuming that you were using a desktop app like 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows, but it sounds like you're using the 1Password.com web interface.

I think you'll have a much better time with Documents by using one of the native apps. I recommend you checkout the Get The Apps page on the menu in the upper right of 1Password.com.

Rick

• Grunt_at_the_Point
    Grunt_at_the_Point
    Community Member

Yes Rick as stated in my OP I'm using version 6.7 of 1PW for Mac. I also have 1PW for IOS on my iPhone. Families work perfectly on my iPhone. The reason I want the Families/1Password.com is because I am doing estate planning and I want to share information with several of my family members. It is not critical on my end to have 1PW.com. But if there is something I can do to fix the problem that I am experiencing I would like to fix it.

• @Grunt_at_the_Point : you're right, you did state that you were using version 6.7 of the Mac app. Did you add the 1Password.com account to the Mac app? Here's a video of the experience I get with Documents on the Mac app:
    https://cl.ly/1m2q2b1x0s3n

In a lot of cases I don't need to play with Finder at all because I can simply preview the files as I did with the first example there.

Rick

• Grunt_at_the_Point
    Grunt_at_the_Point
    Community Member

Okay, I just watched the video and that is not the behavior I'm seeing on 1PW.com. However, that is the behavior I see when I use the 1PW mini.

• @Grunt_at_the_Point : That behavior can't be replicated in the 1Password.com webapp due to it being limited by web technologies. You'll want to use the full 1Password app when interacting with Documents if you want this behavior.

Rick

• Grunt_at_the_Point
    Grunt_at_the_Point
    Community Member

Okay, I got it. Thanks

• Grunt_at_the_Point
    Grunt_at_the_Point
    Community Member

One final thing. If a family member that I wish to share a vault with has an iPad. Is it necessary for that family member to have the 1PW IOS app on his iPad to able to use 1Password.com properly? As stated, I have the 1PW app on my iPhone and the !PW.com works flawlessly.

• They'll want the iOS app on iPad yea. The website may work, but it won't be a very good experience compared to the real app.

Rick

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member

@Grunt_at_the_Point I see you got your question resolved but I wanted to tell you that using 1Password Familes for estate purposes is what convinced me to switch to Familes from using Dropbox, then iCloud for synchronization of my iPhone & Mac & iPad devices.

One of the estate trustees uses 1Password Mac app and the other uses the 1Password.com web access. I created a Shared vault for the information I thought they would need when administering our affairs. I think 1Password Families is perfect for that kind of use.

Larry

• Thanks for taking the time to share your experience Larry!

Ben

• Grunt_at_the_Point
    Grunt_at_the_Point
    Community Member

Okay, thanks Larry & Rick

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Let us know if you have any other questions, @Grunt_at_the_Point! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.