A Present for Chrome OS and Linux Users [see Dave's first post for details]

dteare
edited November 2017 in Lounge

Update: 1Password X is now public !

Thanks to all of our beta testers for coming along with us on this journey...and this is only the beginning! At this point you can choose your own path to use 1Password X with your 1Password.com membership:

Use the 1Password X (stable version):

or

Join our 1Password X Explorers (beta) program:

Thanks for being awesome! We're here if you need us. :chuffed: :+1:

Happy day, fellow bitizen!

Today I am incredibly excited to announce we're starting beta testing on a new addition to our 1Password family: a brand new Chrome extension made especially for our Linux and Chrome OS users!

We're currently in private beta testing and we'd love to have you join our beta family for an early sneak peek.

Even though things are pretty solid and working well, it's important to remember this is a beta. As such this isn't going to be for everyone (at least not yet), but if you love being on the bleeding edge, please sign up for the beta here. The only information we need is your forum username as well as the email you are using with your 1Password membership.

Once we hear from you we'll grant you access to a private beta discussion group on these forums along with setup instructions.

I'm looking forward to welcoming you to our beta family! <3

Comments

• timrijckaert
    timrijckaert
    Community Member

What about integration with local vaults?
    Synchronized with Dropbox.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2017

Hi @timrijckaert

Good question. :) The focus for the foreseeable future is on 1Password memberships as we need control of both sides of to make this new Chrome extension work. In theory we could make it work with Dropbox but it would never be as good as we've specifically optimized our servers to make the process as great as it can be. Also, there's a lot more to local vaults than just incorporating the Dropbox api – WLAN Sync and iCloud would also need to be considered as well as completely new approach for adding additional vaults and accounts.

In sum this new app will be focused on 1Password memberships for the foreseeable future. but we're not ruling anything out. We don't have anything to announce with regards to additional functionality for local vaults at this time, but we'll be sure to post more info when we do. :+1:

Ben

• omkarim
    omkarim
    Community Member

Hi,

I'm a long time 1Password user on Mac and recently acquired a Chromebook with Android app support. I have the 1Password Android app running and was wondering if the upcoming browser extension for Chrome OS will be able to communicate with it to support Autofill etc...

Thanks!
    Omar

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@omkarim: I don't think I'd rule it out completely, but currently the Android team is focused on making 1Password for Android the best it can be on that platform, and there's a lot of work that needs to be done there yet. Fortunately one thing we are working on that can help you is this new ChromeOS-compatible extension that you can use on your Chromebook. Cheers! :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Does this Chrome extension not require a "mini" counterpart? (unlike macOS & Windows?)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@XIII: I think the answer to your question probably should be "no", but one might think of 1Password.com as filling a similar role in this case since it stores the data. Dave may jump in and correct me if this is a bad analogy though. :lol:

• moonux
    moonux
    Community Member

Hi there, very excited about giving this a go. After sending in a request to join the beta, about how long does it take to get access?

Thanks!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@moonux: It totally depends on our workload at the time, but in this case, I've replied to your message.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• moonux
    moonux
    Community Member

Much appreciated!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@moonux: No problem at all. We appreciate you joining our beta crew! :) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• idangazit
    idangazit
    Community Member

Hey @beyer — I sent in an email a few days ago, but also haven't gotten a response. Would love to get in on the beta — pretty please with sugar on top?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@idangazit: Thanks for reaching out! I apologize for the delay, you should have a reply from me now.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• idangazit
    idangazit
    Community Member

@beyer <3!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

<3 :) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• vale
    vale
    Community Member

Hi @beyer, I just registered in response to your email; I'm ready to be on board. Thank you!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@vale: You're welcome. If there's anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to ask.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• losojos
    losojos
    Community Member

I'd like to join the Chrome OS beta program.

• benbot79
    benbot79
    Community Member

I've received the 1Password extension for Chrome, however it states the local program is required and this is where I'm confused. Where do I get the local Linux version of 1Password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@losojos: Thanks! We'll get back to you shortly! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@benbot79: There isn't a "local Linux version" of 1Password. As Dave mentioned at the top, we have a ChromeOS- and Linux-compatible extension in private beta, and you're welcome to sign up to test that. Just follow his instructions above. Cheers! :)

• unget
    unget
    Community Member

Hello @brenty,

I sent an email over. Thanks for all the work on this, by the way, really excited to join the beta!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@unget: Great! We'll be in touch! :chuffed:

• BrianFagioli
    BrianFagioli
    Community Member

I would like to sign up for the beta please !

• NK_Herself
    NK_Herself
    Community Member

Me please! Just got a Chromebook yesterday as a light-weight supplement to my too-heavy MacBook Pro

• machale
    machale
    Community Member

a brand new Chrome extension made especially for our Linux and Chrome OS users

This is great news, and I look forward to this going GA for Chromebooks.

But just to be crystal clear, as a Chrome extension this will only be for the Chrome browser. Folks using Firefox or other browsers on Linux will still need to use the web site. Correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Me please! Just got a Chromebook yesterday as a light-weight supplement to my too-heavy MacBook Pro

@NK_Herself: Ha! Mine is pretty heavy too. Maybe I should look into that. :lol:

If you've emailed us as Dave outlined above, we'll get back to you there shortly. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I would like to sign up for the beta please !

@BrianFagioli: If you'll email us as Dave outlined above, we'll get back to you there as soon as we can. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

This is great news, and I look forward to this going GA for Chromebooks.

@machale: We're pretty excited too! :chuffed: :+1:

But just to be crystal clear, as a Chrome extension this will only be for the Chrome browser. Folks using Firefox or other browsers on Linux will still need to use the web site. Correct?

Correct. The 1Password.com web interface can be used in other environments. Right now we're focused on building this to be ChromeOS- and Linux compatible. Nothing else to announce at this point, as it's still very much a beta. Cheers! :)

• NK_Herself
    NK_Herself
    Community Member

Email you at what address?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @NK_Herself,

Email you at what address?

It's the one in Dave's first post of this announcement. :)

This discussion has been closed.