A suggestion to help train people to use 1password

Gebo
Gebo
Community Member

Hello 1PW people,

Thanks for a great product! I am a long time user, and recently signed up for families. I have been working to get family members on my account and actually using it every day, and I have been in some cases unpleasantly surprised to learn how they were managing passwords before I brought up the issue with them. So, I'm even more motivated to get them on board for their own safety.

Something I find challenging is teaching non-computer savvy people how to use the 'change your password' process on both mac and iOS, and the 'create a new login' process (auto fill is easier). The reason is this: you have to demonstrate it on a real account. The only way to show someone how to create a new account is to go and create a real account somewhere, which I don't love. The only way to show someone how to change passwords is to change a real one, which I'm more ok with, but is also awkward. Your videos are helpful of course, but there's no substitute for doing it yourself to learn something.

My suggestion: I think it would be great if you would create a sample webpage that is a login to a dummy site. It doesn't have to go anywhere, and you don't have to save any of the accounts people make, it can just serve as a place for people to go and practice creating new passwords, auto filling passwords, and changing passwords, where there are no repercussions for making mistakes. It would help people learn the steps and repeat them a few times on multiple devices so they know what they're doing and it becomes second nature.

You could even expand it to demonstrate odd cases like when the login URL isn't the same as the main page URL (like happens on my electric company's site so I need to add the other URL in 1PW so it will recognize both as ok). Also, those sites where the username is on page 1 and the password is on the next page. Or sites where the username and password fields come up as a floating window like Twitter. You could even make a dummy site to teach people to use TOTP. Even pages where 1PW can't figure out what the right field is so people know sometimes you need to copy/paste, and they learn to do that.

Signing up my family members is great, but ultimately pointless if they don't get comfortable enough to use it for new and changed accounts, because then they won't really be using it for what matters... I think giving people a dummy site or sites to practice on could be a really easy way to make it easier to learn by doing.

Thanks for considering!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

My suggestion: I think it would be great if you would create a sample webpage that is a login to a dummy site. It doesn't have to go anywhere, and you don't have to save any of the accounts people make, it can just serve as a place for people to go and practice creating new passwords, auto filling passwords, and changing passwords, where there are no repercussions for making mistakes. It would help people learn the steps and repeat them a few times on multiple devices so they know what they're doing and it becomes second nature.

@Gebo: Wow. I'm not sure if or when we'll be able to do something like this, but I think this is a brilliant idea. It could be great for demonstration purposes too (like the videos), in addition to being a safe place for people to familiarize themselves with how 1Password can help make things easier for them in the browser — perhaps most importantly, without any fear of screwing something up. I'll bring this up with the rest of the team. Thank you! :chuffed:

• Gebo
    Gebo
    Community Member

I suppose even if you start with a super simple page initially, just a basic login, that would probably be pretty quick to make, and then expand it over time to new use cases or types... anyway, I'm glad you like the idea, I think it would be cool

Thanks again for the great product!

• jswright61
    jswright61
    Community Member

Great idea. I love it.

• carmenleong
    carmenleong
    Community Member

Can only agree with this. My better half is well educated, driven, creative and all round positive, but when it comes to clicking a few extra times to save a password it hits her wall of tolerance. Having the possibility of demonstrating a few scenarios would be fantastic.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback @jswright61 and @carmenleong! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.