Problem filling in admin password on router

I just got a new TP-Link router. I was changing the admin password, and have saved the password in 1P.

However on using the item and filling it in from 1P, it reports that there is an error. If however, I manually copy and paste the username from 1P, straight into the login form, it works fine. I've tried deleting the item in 1P and creating a new one, still without success :(

Any ideas?

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @tanc,

When you created a new one did you do this from in your browser or did you create the Login item from inside the main 1Password window? If you created it from inside the browser can you see if creating one from within the main 1Password window makes any difference please and vice versa if you created it from inside the main 1Password window.

Routers are tricky. I don't own a TP-Link router myself to test with and we cannot easily create an exception because they don't have a fixed domain like sites you interact with do.

With my own Draytek I find that the page doesn't like open and fill but it's okay with filling a loaded login page. If you tend to use open and fill it might be worth seeing if using the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ to fill the loaded login page makes any difference.

• tanc
    tanc
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. The original login was created from within the browser. The subsequent one I created from in the main 1p app. Neither worked. Also I'm not using open and full, this is all after loading the page then using the 1p button in the browser to fill and submit.

Interestingly (or not) the amount of concealed password characters displayed by the field is different when 1p fills it in compared to if I manually paste the password in. I imagine the router admin page is doing something terrible when it tries to validate the password

• tanc
    tanc
    Community Member

Welp.

Yep.

I worked it out.

It turns out, it only allows you to create a password of up to 15 characters long. I used the 1p generator (but wasn't aware of this) to generate a password of 30 characters. It seems that although all 30 were in the form, it just truncated it when updating my password. (With not indication that anything was wrong)

However when 1p was pasting the password into the field for login, that field wasn't truncating or ignoring, and so the comparison failed.

The JS validation (or whatever) on that field did truncate, so pasting the password manually resulted in it truncating the second half, which then matched what was saved originally.

The different number of dots gave me a clue. Guess I'll update my password in 1P to just have the first 15 characters of the original password I generated!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tanc,

Can you test something for me please. You've got your existing Login item with the password that works when you copy and paste, what happens if you copy and paste and then create a new Login item using the steps outlined on our page How to save a Login manually in your browser, does the saved password match the one in your existing Login item?

• tanc
    tanc
    Community Member

Yeah that works. I guess because the form is truncating the password as I paste it, when 1Password creates a new login from the form with pasted password, it's only got the 1st half.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @tanc,

The way that 1Password works is to set the value of the field directly and that can bypass limitations that are honoured when you copy and paste. So it seems the router silently truncated your password when you set it but as neither yourself or 1Password could tell it resulted in the confusion you experienced. At least it all sounds like it's working now :smile:

• tanc
    tanc
    Community Member

Yep - once I figured out the weirdness that is the router admin page, I could work around it - thanks for your help!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Glad we could be of assistance :smile:

This discussion has been closed.