switching from 1Password 4 to 1Password 6 for Families in Windows environment

raahh
raahh
Community Member

Greetings fellow earthlings,

I am currently using 1Password 4 for windows (stand alone) and have been for many years.
I'm considering to switching over to 1Password for families as there's another person who I like to share logins with.

Can I choose to migrate only some of my old vault logins from 1Password 4 to 1Password 6 for families?
I like my family member to be able to access some of my previous logins but not all. I'm wondering how this can be done if at all?

also, is there any feature included in 1Password 4 that is not present for 1Password for families?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.624
Extension Version: 4.6.7.90
OS Version: win 10 pro 64 bit
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@raahh: First of all, thanks for considering 1Password.com!

As far as selective migration, the best way to to that would be to put the data you do want to migrate into a single vault and then import only that. However, I would encourage you to migrate everything and simply put some of it in a different vault in 1Password.com for archival purposes. That way you'll always have it backed up if you need any of it.

There are definitely a few features which 1Password 4 has but which aren't yet implemented in the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app. Off the top of my head, Auto-Type is a pretty big one. If you'll give me your Top 10 or Top 5 I'll be happy to let you know their status. :)

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,
    thanks for answering my question.

as for the top 10 or 5, i'm not sure what you mean there or how to answer that.

I just want to make sure 1password for families will have at least ALL the features
    1password 4 does. Can you tell me which features 1Password does NOT have that 1password 4 does?
    that might be easier :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@raahh: Ah, I'm sorry. I just mean that 1Password has a lot of features, and I couldn't even list them all spontaneously. So my thought was that if you told me which ones you most depend on in your workflow, I could give you a sense for if that would work for you with 1Password Families.

Two good examples I can think of are that 1Password.com uses tags instead of folders since they're more flexible, but some folks have a very folder-centric workflow; and 1Password.com does not have file attachments, but files are uploaded by themselves as Documents, instead of needing to be part of another item. So those are fundamental to 1Password.com and therefore carry over to the apps as well.

1Password 4 definitely has some features that the new 1Password 6 Windows app doesn't yet (Auto-Type, for example, that I mentioned earlier, is a big one for many people), but whether or not they are ones that matter to you I couldn't guess without more information. Honestly, the best way to see if it's a good fit for you is to try it for free and see for yourself. :)

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,
    I'm not sure what constitutes a 'feature' so hard for me to answer that question in some ways. When you say '1password.com' are you referring to 1Password for Families?

you mentioned 1Password.com uses tag instead of folders. Can Files that are uploaded as documents be attached to specific logins? for instance, some sites require additional information like security/secret questions etc...

Auto-type: I think I use this. Does it have to do with pressing Ctrl+\ to sign in? because I use this feature pretty much all the time to login to sites.

I use the program to sync between my Android phone and Windows. I use the Chrome extension a lot through my Windows computer. Is the Chrome extension available for 1Password for Families?

I just moved over my old 1password 4 vault over to 1password for families. I use to sync my old vault and store it locally on dropbox so I'm wondering now how/where will the vault(s) be stored with 1password for Families?
    I prefer to store it locally if there's a way.

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to your answers.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2017

1Password.com includes the 1Password for individuals, 1Password Families, and 1Password Teams subscription services.

you mentioned 1Password.com uses tag instead of folders. Can Files that are uploaded as documents be attached to specific logins? for instance, some sites require additional information like security/secret questions etc...

Yes. There is a 'related items' field that you can use to link one or more items together:

This is a Credit Card item that has 3 related items attached to it: a Bank Account item, a Login item, and a Document item (which is a scan of the physical credit card). Clicking on any of those three 'links' takes me to the related item.

Auto-type: I think I use this. Does it have to do with pressing Ctrl+\ to sign in? because I use this feature pretty much all the time to login to sites.

No. Ctrl+\ comes from the 1Password browser extension, which is still accessible when using 1Password Families (and is still a core part of the offering). You'll still be able to log in to web sites with Ctrl+.

I use the program to sync between my Android phone and Windows. I use the Chrome extension a lot through my Windows computer. Is the Chrome extension available for 1Password for Families?

Yep. :)

I just moved over my old 1password 4 vault over to 1password for families. I use to sync my old vault and store it locally on dropbox so I'm wondering now how/where will the vault(s) be stored with 1password for Families?
    I prefer to store it locally if there's a way.

1Password Families is a 1st party hosted solution (i.e. AgileBits holds your encrypted data). Your Master Password is chosen by you, your Secret Key is generated locally on your device, and neither are ever transmitted to us — even when you sign in to 1Password.com. It is impossible for us (or anyone who were to break into our servers) to decrypt that data without getting those items from you. It is a more secure solution than Dropbox. If you're interested in the technical details of how we achieve this more can be read here:

1Password Security Design White Paper

A local cache of your data is kept on your computer -- much like there is with Dropbox, so that you can use 1Password even while not connected to the internet (or if we experience an outage).

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.