Existing family account offered when adding an existing 1Password.com account

Manaburner
Manaburner
Community Member

When I want to add an existing 1Password.com account on my iPhone, I get the message "We found 1 account" and it ask me for the master password.
I have two 1P accounts on my iPhone, one individual and one Family account. I have setup my iPhone with the Family account with the old Name "MyLastName". I afterwards renamed the family in the browser to "MyLastName Family" (very creative I know :) )
Could the displayed existing account (which is called "MyLastName") be leftover from the renaming?
I also suspected this is coming from the iCloud Keychain. But the strange thing is, I don't have that enabled on my iPhone.

And lastly, how can I get rid of that existing account?

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Could the displayed existing account (which is called "MyLastName") be leftover from the renaming?

@Manaburner: Yes!

I also suspected this is coming from the iCloud Keychain. But the strange thing is, I don't have that enabled on my iPhone.

Great point. Man, I wish Apple would make this clearer. Even without iCloud Keychain enabled, your iOS (and macOS) devices all have a local Keychain. This is technically the same as the iCloud Keychain, but it's only called that if iCloud Keychain is enabled. Otherwise it's just the local Keychain. Clear as mud, right?

So, with iCloud Keychain disabled, you've either previously setup this account on this device (in which case its saved in the Keychain), or you've restored this device from a backup of another where that was the case.

So, getting back to the original question, the Keychain item will have data reflecting the account at the time it was saved, so if you've made changes to it since then (switched plans, regenerated Secret Key) it will no longer be accurate.

I'm not sure I've explained this well, but does that help? :)

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi @brenty ok so I know what happened, but I'm not sure I got the solution.
    I did not restore the device from a backup so it is stored in the keychain. So far so good.
    But how can I delete that from my keychain?

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

OK scratch that. I just found out it get's deleted when you actually enter a master password (which does not need to be the real one). Then he app realizes that the account does no longer exist and removes it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, you're ahead of me here. Yep! I'm sorry I got carried away and forgot to address that. Otherwise, yeah, that could get cluttered over time. Cheers! :)

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

All good. Teach a man to fish... ;)

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.