Chrome extension issues in 4.6.2.624

Options
gs911025
gs911025
Community Member
edited July 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I've been using 1Password on Windows 10+Chrome flawlessly for years, but strange things happen today after I update the 1Password.

1. the chrome extension doesn't work anymore. When you click the extension icon on chrome, the window to input password doesn't show up.

2. the chrome extension keeps setting chrome on top of everything and minimizing every other window. First, you cannot minimize chrome itself. You click the minimize icon of chrome, it minimizes for one second and re-open immediately. Second, you cannot open any other window like a file explorer or task manager. Any software other than chrome will be minimized automatically once you open it. You can not even open the right click menu of task bar. You right click the task bar, the menu will show up for less than one second and it just close without any click. This is true for any software window or right click menu of icons in notification area, including the start menu. Everything just open and close/minimize right away.

All above mentioned behavior starts right after the most recent 1Password update and can be fixed by removing/disabling the 1Password chrome extension, or by uninstalling 1Password and leaving the extension in chrome.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.624
Extension Version: 4.6.7.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• kalevskis
    kalevskis
    Community Member
    Options

Same situation here. Following!

• narcolepticnerd
    narcolepticnerd
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

recently after enabling the 1password chrome extension it forced chrome to be on top of all apps, I can switch off and it auto switched back to chrome, even in the taskbar, it auto moves my slider to where chrome is at. I am unable to do anything till i disable the 1password extension or i close chrome.

1Password Version: 4.6.624
    Extension Version: 4.6.7.90
    OS Version: windows 10
    Sync Type: dropbox

• narcolepticnerd
    narcolepticnerd
    Community Member
    Options

im glad to see im not the only one having this issue, I have been talking to @1password about this on twitter, It seems to have happened right after the recent 1password update. It took me a while to troubleshoot and find the culprit.

• narcolepticnerd
    narcolepticnerd
    Community Member
    Options

I have a feeling whats changed thats causing issues they added another method for 1password to talk to chrome.

• narcolepticnerd
    narcolepticnerd
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

deleted this is on the wrong thread.

• narcolepticnerd
    narcolepticnerd
    Community Member
    Options

I have checked the help and advanced and checked between both the web socket and the native messaging. I have the 1password icon and its no longer focused only chrome, but 1password does not work how its supposed to

• narcolepticnerd
    narcolepticnerd
    Community Member
    Options

nevermind it started doing it again as soon as I disabled and reenabled the extension its constantly forcing chrome to be on top no matter what app I try to use.

• narcolepticnerd
    narcolepticnerd
    Community Member
    Options

I can post a video of whats going on i do have screen capture software

• gs911025
    gs911025
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure about the cause but apparently it is related to the native chrome massaging. Switching to WebSocket protocol would fix the "auto minimize/chrome always on top" issue, but the chrome extension still didn't work.

Today I was able to fix this issue by a clean reinstall of 1Password on Windows. Removing remnant files in AppData/Local/Agilebits and AppData/Roaming/Agilebits after uninstall 1password and reinstalling it with chrome extension seem to do the trick.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gs911025, @narcolepticnerd, @kalevskis: Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry for the trouble! Do you mind sharing some more details?

1. Which version of Chrome are you using? Definitely make sure you apply all updates and restart it.
    2. Did you enable NativeMessaging in 1Password 4 (Help > Advanced — this is disabled by default), or are you still using WebSockets?

I'm trying to reproduce it, so any other information will be appreciated as well. We'll get to the bottom of this. Thanks in advance! :)

• kalevskis
    kalevskis
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

1. Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit) - latest version - up to date
    2. I am not sure I can find this information as you have described. In Help -> Advanced I have only this option checked: "Verify web browser code signature". I don't see anything else related to NativeMassaging or WebSockets.

I would also like to add that after the latest update, the plugin in Firefox didn't work also. Firefox Version: 49.0.2

In meantime I have run over the latest version with previous one (4.6.1.620) in order to make it work again. Now my Firefox plugin works, but Chrome is still not working.

Please advice what to try or change in order to fix this problem.

Thank you in advance!

• narcolepticnerd
    narcolepticnerd
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty

1. Version 60.0.3112.66 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)
    2. I have currently web sockets selected

update: I have tried to go back and reinstall the 1password 4 version ending in 620. to see if this is the issue, my 1password doesnt force auto focus, but the extension no longer works. I am going to try and do what gs911025 did. Password manager is imperative to me since I have no memory cause of my medical condition.

• narcolepticnerd
    narcolepticnerd
    Community Member
    Options

so im not sure why its working now I went back to 620, and it authorized my 1password extension, then i upgraded to the newest one and my extension stays working. It would seem my issue is fixed, maybe it was just a bad upgrade from 620 to 624

• kalevskis
    kalevskis
    Community Member
    Options

I just made a clean install of 624 and chrome extensions. Everything seems to be working fine again. And now I have the option to choose Native or WebSockets under Advanced section. As per default the Native is turned on.

• Hey there, @gs911025, @narcolepticnerd, and @kalevskis! It sounds y'all are quared away at this point, which is awesome. I'm glad you're set for now, but if the problem returns, let us know!

Also, if it's not too much trouble, do any of you recall whether you had a browser open at the time you updated 1Password? We saw some somewhat similar issues arise with 1Password 6 when a browser is running during the update and I'd be curious if we're seeing something similar with 1Password 4. Thanks! :chuffed:

• gs911025
    gs911025
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate I'm sorry I can't recall if the browser was open or not during update.

• @gs911025: No worries! Thanks for getting back to me all the same. Much appreciated! :chuffed:

• narcolepticnerd
    narcolepticnerd
    Community Member
    Options

No i didnt have a browser open, but I did have 1password 6 installed and not being used, could that have interfered with the process, i removed 1password 6 and reinstalled 1password 4 version with 620 then upgraded to 624 and its all working great again

• @narcolepticnerd That would do the trick. With Native Messaging, you need to go through some extra steps to use both 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 so I'd bet 1Password 6 was hijacking the extension from 1Password 4 in your case. It's kind of a pain, which is why we don't recommend using both unless you have to. I'd expect you'll be permanently set having uninstalled 1Password 6. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.