"Accounts created prior to December 3, 2015 cannot sign in to use this feature."

dmz
dmz
Community Member

When trying to create a new family vault in the 1Password desktop app (under "All Vaults / New Vault"), I got a dialog that said:

Cannot Sign In
Accounts created prior to December 3, 2015 cannot sign in to use this feature.

What exactly is going on with that?

1Password Version: 6.8 (680015)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Families
Referrer: forum-search:"cannot sign in to use this feature"

Comments

• Frank
    edited July 2017

Hi @dmz - Thank you for reaching out to us. I would love to have one of our developers look into this a bit more for you. Can you send us over a screenshot of the error? Please make sure to mask any private information before attaching it since this a public forum. Sorry for the inconvenience and I look forward to your reply.

• dmz
    dmz
    Community Member

Not much point in a whole screenshot, but here's the dialog:

• Frank
    edited July 2017

Hi @dmz - Thank you for sending that over to confirm. Your 1Password Families account was created before Safari was a supported browser, and it has different keys used for cryptography on the account. Near the beginning of December we decided to switch to a different key algorithm that Safari supports, which is why anyone who created a Families account since then can happily use Safari. The ability to create vaults within the apps is based on this technology, which is why you received the above message when trying to create a new vault. We experience the same issue with our internal 1Password Teams account because it was created before December 3, 2015.

The work on our side has been completed and now we’re waiting for Safari to catch up. In the meantime, you can continue to create new vaults using the web app online just as you were prior to us releasing 1Password 6.8. The other option, you can create a new Families account and migrate everything over to the new account. Sorry for any inconvenience. I'll be more than happy to help if you decide to migrate over to a new account. Keep me posted if you have any additional questions.

• dmz
    dmz
    Community Member

OK. I understand now, and that makes sense... but I think the dialog needs to be better. Since it's a fairly infrequent thing (I don't know how many accounts were created that early, but it can't be a huge number), it should really provide a better explanation of what's going on, or a link to a webpage with information like what you've just told me. And the heading shouldn't be "Cannot Sign In", because that makes me think something is wrong with my account, when it's really more like "Feature Unsupported on Your Account" or similar.

• Hi @dmz - I really appreciate the feedback and I'll make sure to pass this along the team to see if we can adjust the message a bit to make sure it's clear. I completely agree and thank you for sharing your thoughts with me :+1:

This discussion has been closed.