Big problem unlocked 1Password on my iPhone 6S because touch ID stopped working in the app.

Bas1996
Bas1996
Community Member
edited July 2017 in iOS

Hello !

I am a big user of 1Password. Over 50 passwords I have stored in there. Including for university...
I have been really happy of the way the app works and it's really useful! Thank you for this great product!
Now sadly a big problem occured.
I have an iPhone 6S. I used to used 1password all the time. I installed a masterpassword and ENABLED touch id. So the weeks/months after. I continuously opened the app with touch id. But all of a sudden, for no reason, the app stopped prompting touch id to open. The only way to open the app is by knowing the masterpassword. The thing is, after using my finger for months, I completely forgot my masterpasswort because I haven't used it in months. But why did the touch ID turn itself off? There is no way to sync or open the app anymore because for all of that I need to know my password. I also didn't create a 1password account (by now I did, but that doesn't help opening the app at all by now...), so changing it only through my email isn't possible either. Is there any way to crack into my 1password app or recover my master password? Or at least access all the passwords inside the app ? That would be so great! I trusted all my passwords to this app and really can't afford losing over 50 passwords at this time...

If anyone would know any kind of solution or could help in any way, I would be so grateful...

I currently have version 6.8 of 1password, installed on iOS 10.3.3 on an iPhone 6S.

Sincerely

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.3.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @Bas1996! I'm sorry to hear about the lost master password. For your privacy and security, your Master Password is known only by you. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the Master Password. If there were, that would be a security hole that could be exploited to gain access to your secure information. We've published a troubleshooting guide with some steps to try to recover your Master Password or otherwise access your data.

If you're syncing your vault to other devices and are still able to access your data on one of them, you can also migrate your data to your 1Password account on a different device to regain access on iOS (since you'll know your account Master Password), but otherwise you may be out of luck. :frown:

There are a few instances in which 1Password will require a Master Password over Touch ID, so it's always best to have your Master Password written down somewhere. For what it's worth, you can continue to guess your Master Password without getting locked out, so if the guide doesn't help you out and you haven't synced your vault anywhere else, it's always worth spending some time trying to guess. :chuffed:

• Bas1996
    Bas1996
    Community Member

Okay! Thank you for the help and honesty. Didn't remember it sadly >.< Lesson learned ;)

• Thanks for the update @Bas1996. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.