To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

trying to access my account on new pc, but I have a license key not a secret key and can't login

Options
Julesjourneynz
Julesjourneynz
Community Member

I have a license key to ipassword 4. I have downloaded this on to my new pc. When trying to log in, the site asks for a secret key but I only have record of my license key.

1Password Version: 1password 4
Extension Version: 4.0
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:access account new pc

Comments

• Hey @Julesjourneynz! If you're being asked for a Secret Key, you have 1Password 6 for Windows instead of 1Password 4 for Windows. 1Password 6 for Windows only works with our 1Password.com accounts.  If you would like to continue using your local vault/license, please uninstall 1Password 6 and install 1Password 4. It can be found on our downloads page right below the blue download button, but for ease of access, here is a direct link. :chuffed:

• Julesjourneynz
    Julesjourneynz
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply. I do have 1Password 4 for Windows downloaded, but when selecting the option "I have used 1Password before" it directs me to a browser window to find the vault file on my pc. I do not have an "existing vault file" on this pc, as my old pc crashed. So I'm not sure how to access my account. I used to be able to download onto a new device and just enter a username and master password, but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore. Hoping you can help me with next steps on how to proceed. Thanks!!

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Julesjourneynz! I'm sorry to hear about your old PC! :frown:

Would you happen to have had a backup of your 1Password data from the old PC, or have synced your 1Password data using Dropbox? The "I have used 1Password before" button is for folks that have existing 1Password data that they'd like to add to a new installation (for example, a 1Password vault that was synced to Dropbox). There's also the button for restoring data from a backup ("Restore 1Password Vault from Backup...").

If you have no backup or Dropbox sync of your data from the old crashed PC, then unfortunately you'll have to start over with 1Password. Just click on the "I am new to 1Password" button, which will guide you through the process of setting up a new, empty 1Password vault.

Afterwards, you'll be able to apply your licence key to register the app. I hope that helps to clear things up! :+1:

• Julesjourneynz
    Julesjourneynz
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much - this was helpful and what I needed to know. Thanks!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Julesjourneynz: On behalf of Kate and John, you're welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

I hope you have a pleasant week. :)

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.