Searching for a username field not working / is inconsistent

coopjmr
coopjmr
Community Member

When I search for usernames within a login item in all vaults on the Windows app, the login I am looking for comes up. However when I search the same things on my phone - Android - nothing is coming up. It seems on my phone I will only get search results if I am searching for a word in the title. Instead, I would like to put in a username/field within the page and have the search results show me that page...

I also cannot search for sections but I see from a past discussion that is intentional and searching for sections may be implemented. Is this something that is being added?

1Password Version: 6.6.439
Extension Version: 4.6.7.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

@coopjmr: Thanks for reaching out. Can you be more specific as to what is inconsistent? Do you mean that you sometimes get different search results for the same term, or that it's different between the main 1Password app window and 1Password mini (in the browser)? You can search by title intentionally in 1Password 6 on Windows by typing title: before the search term, but it doesn't sound like you're doing that. Otherwise you should see any items matching the word(s) you searched for. Also, in the Windows app, you can use quotes to search for an exact term. For example, "Amazon US" will only return exact matches the phrase "Amazon US". You can also search within a specific category by selecting it first. Let me know if that helps!

• coopjmr
    coopjmr
    Community Member

@brenty Hello, what I mean is that I am not searching by title - just searching by a username that is saved on a login. For example, the title of the page is Splashtop Login. There are two labelled fields: username- coopjmr and password- ****. I am searching for "coopjmr" in the search bar on the Windows app and the Splashtop Login page comes up in the search results. I search the same coopjmr on my phone or the browser and I am getting no search results. Searching "coopjmr" does not help either.

Our team has been considering the use of 1password, but for the onsite visits with clients where we need to search up their passwords on our phones, the phone search isn't looking very reliable.

Please write back with any suggestions to fixing this, thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@coopjmr: Thanks for getting back to me. I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm just not seeing this behaviour. Let me know if this is correct:

1. You have login items with a specific username, "coopjmr", in your 1Password.com vault(s).
    2. You do a search for "coopjmr" in 1Password 6 on Windows and these show up in the results.
    3. You do a search for "coopjmr" in 1Password for Android and these do not show up in the results.
    4. You do a search for "coopjmr" on 1Password.com and these do not show up in the results.

Since I'm not having trouble getting results from a search for a username across these apps, I wonder if you simply have a different setup than I do. Do you maybe have different vaults/accounts in the app(s) than you see in your account on 1Password.com? Let me know what you find!

Regardless, while it is not possible to do advanced search (i.e. sections, notes, etc.) in 1Password for Android and the 1Password.com web interface, those are things we may be adding in the future.

• coopjmr
    coopjmr
    Community Member

yes, correct. I have created a page with multiple username and password fields, I'm wondering if this is the problem? ( https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/43/xeztbj3jjbsl.jpg )

• @coopjmr I think you've found the problem. Those secondary usernames/passwords are in custom fields. I've tested it myself and it looks like the Android app does not search those, but 1Password 6 for Windows does. On a related note, you'll also have trouble filling them since 1Password doesn't fill custom fields just yet. It will only fill the username/password you entered into the default username/password fields. To fill the secondary credentials, you'll need to copy/paste.

In these situations, rather than having multiple username/password combinations in a single login item, I'd recommend creating individual items for each set of credentials with a unique title to connect it to the appropriate username. I do this for my Google accounts (Google - work, Google - Personal, etc.). If you make this tweak, you should see both apps pick up the item with the relevant username when searching and you'll be able to fill any given set of credentials. :chuffed:

I hope this helps, but let us know if you have additional questions. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.