[Bug] Qwerty keyboard instead of alternate keyboard in username field and secret key field

jschaub30
jschaub30
Community Member

I'm using the Android app on my Chromebook, and I use an alternate keyboard layout (Colemak). Since there isn't browser integration on a Chromebook, I end up adding each new login manually in the 1password app.

Everything works as expected except the "Username" field, where 1password switches to the Qwerty layout. I've attached a link to an image where I type the same sequence of letters (asdf jkl; on Qwerty, and arst neio on Colemak) into all fields. You can see that the Username field gets it wrong.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwGr1QcQxTunMmdXRmRwLTdZZWJjdW9lV3hHQzRQVFRtSFlN/view?usp=sharing

I also see this same bug when I added my account to the 1password app, only in the "Secret key" field.

Thanks!
Jeremy

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Chrome OS 59.0.3071.91 (Official Build) (32bit)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jschaub30: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password for Android isn't designed for ChromeOS, and as such it doesn't have any logic for handling alternate keyboard layouts. You're sending the same scan codes regardless of the setting, and 1Password is receiving those just the same — and it sounds like the OS itself isn't helping you by compensating for this odd configuration either. These may be things we can support in the future, but 1Password isn't tested or supported in that environment currently. Suffice to say, I'm not seeing this behaviour on Android.

I am curious though, did you replace the keyboard, change the keys yourself, or are you using an external keyboard? Certainly it's not a common use case even for ChromeOS, but it may be a useful data point if we go that route in the future.

• jschaub30
    jschaub30
    Community Member

@brenty

_I am curious though, did you replace the keyboard, change the keys yourself, or are you using an external keyboard?
    _

I'm using the built in keyboard (it's a Samsung Chromebook plus), and selected "US Colemak keyboard" under Settings --> Input method.

It's a minor annoyance--just so odd that the keyboard works fine in all fields except for those 2. Anyway thanks much for the reply! +1 for supporting Chrome OS sometime in the future :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for the info! We've got a lot of work to do to support the upcoming Android O release, but perhaps we'll be able to expand to ChromeOS in the future as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.