High CPU usage with Chrome & native messaging enabled

Over the past few days I've noticed high CPU usage from 1PW 6.6.439 (AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe). Just constantly hovering around 10-20% until I restart the app, then it's fine for a while, then eventually it starts again. It seemed to have started around the time I switched antiviruses from Windows Defender to Bitdefender Free, though it could be coincidental.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling 1PW, but still had the problem. I disabled (though didn't uninstall) Bitdefender, no dice. But I noticed my dad's account on the same PC (so same antivirus) didn't have any issue. But he uses Firefox instead of Chrome. So I messed around and found that the high CPU usage started every time I closed Chrome. If you hover over the 1PW icon in the system tray, it normally says what browser it's connected to (1Password / chrome for instance). But when I close Chrome and hover over the system tray icon it still says "1Password / chrome" as if it's still connected to Chrome.

When I start Chrome up again, it says "1Password / chrome / chrome" like it's connected to Chrome twice. And each time I close and reopen Chrome it seems to add another Chrome connection to the pile. I disabled the 1PW Chrome beta extension (4.6.7.3) and went to the stable version (4.6.6.90), same issue. So I went into the 1PW settings and unchecked "Enable native messaging for Chrome", restarted 1PW and Chrome, and that seems to have fixed it!

So I don't know if it's related to using Bitdefender or not, but using the Chrome extension with native messaging enabled seems to have broken for me over the past few days. Firefox with native messaging works fine. Hopefully this post isn't too confusing, I don't really know how to phrase all this in an efficient way, lol.

1Password Version: 6.6.439
Extension Version: 4.6.6.90 & 4.6.7.3
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1PW account

Comments

• Hi @Tetryl91,

Thanks for reporting this to us.

Do you by any chance have space and/or & character in your Windows username?

So I went into the 1PW settings and unchecked "Enable native messaging for Chrome", restarted 1PW and Chrome, and that seems to have fixed it!

That suggests the CPU spike is due to Chrome/1Password trying to reconnect via Native Messaging Host for Chrome.

Firefox with native messaging works fine.

There is no 1Password extension support with Native Messaging yet for Firefox, so you're using WebSockets with Firefox and Chrome now.

Could you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, it should contain some logs to explain what's going on with Chrome and Native Messaging. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• Tetryl91
    Tetryl91
    Community Member

Just sent the email. My username on Windows is datki, or at least that's what my user folder says. I use my Microsoft account to sign in, so the user folder name was generated from my MS account's email address. The name that displays when I sign in is my full name though, which of course would have a space in it.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

Hello @Tetryl91,

I see that Kate replied to your email already, so let's continue our conversation via email. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: AIR-27157-795

• vincentleung
    vincentleung
    Community Member

I have exactly the same problem with 1Password + Chrome. Turn off Native Messaging works for me. No more high CPU usage from 1Password.

• @vincentleung do you have spaces or & character in your system user name? Unfortunately Chrome fails to start native messaging when path includes these characters.

• vincentleung
    vincentleung
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile No my username is only one word with only English letters. From what I remember, the high CPU usage issue starts happening since the last update.

• @vincentleung thank you, that rules out another issue. Can you please send us a Diagnostics Report at support+windows@agilebits.com ? Just click (?) button at the bottom of sidebar and Generate Diagnostics report there. I'd love to figure out why such high CPU is being used when Native Messaging is involved. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vincentleung: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: XTL-49954-324

• Tetryl91
    Tetryl91
    Community Member

Just wanna note that I updated to the latest beta and can confirm the issue is fixed. Thanks for the quick fix!

• That's great, thanks for updating us on that.

This discussion has been closed.