To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Security Question

TDK1044
TDK1044
Community Member

The issue of security is a constant on this Forum. I guess the only question that I have, is that if an attempt was made to breach the 1password servers, even though users passwords and secret keys are not stored there, would the attempted breach be detected quickly? It always amazes me when you read stories of some large retailers having been hacked for days or weeks before they realized it. I would hope that 1password would detect such an attempt very quickly, as all of your revenue depends on customers being sure that their information is secure. :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The issue of security is a constant on this Forum. I guess the only question that I have, is that if an attempt was made to breach the 1password servers, even though users passwords and secret keys are not stored there, would the attempted breach be detected quickly?

@TDK1044: That's a great question! The answer is yes. We monitor our systems around the clock, and there are also many other white hats external to AgileBits trying to find ways to circumvent our security. As you point out, we don't have the "keys" to anyone's data which would be needed to make any use of it, but that's a last bastion — a small part of our overall security strategy — and we're dedicated to preventing unauthorized access even to encrypted data.

It always amazes me when you read stories of some large retailers having been hacked for days or weeks before they realized it. I would hope that 1password would detect such an attempt very quickly, as all of your revenue depends on customers being sure that their information is secure. :)

Absolutely. I think I'm way past the point of amazement since this has unfortunately become all too common. On the one hand, that's a sad state of affairs. But the silver lining is that the worse it gets the more people inside and out of these companies take notice and demand more attention and resources be dedicated to security. It's definitely a case of "better late than never", but I'm willing to bet that security has become a priority with actual staff and budget in place in companies that have been breached already. Not exactly what one would hope for, but it's a step in the right direction.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member

Great info. Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for caring about this as much as we do! We're lucky to have folks like you as customers. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.